FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Celebrate over sixty years of F1 - your memories, experiences and opinions.

Which has been the best decade for F1?

50's
No votes
0%
60's
2%
70's
9%
80's
33%
90's
35%
00's
22%
I voted for 00s, the 1990s were great too. I have never been fond of the 1970s or 1980s and too many people were getting killed in the 1950s and 1960s. Each era has had its own great teams, drivers, tracks etc but the 2000s saw the greatest driver of all time demonstrating his genius and that was a pleasure to watch.

Yeh Mika :cloud9: was great wasn't he :P
I voted for 00s, the 1990s were great too. I have never been fond of the 1970s or 1980s and too many people were getting killed in the 1950s and 1960s. Each era has had its own great teams, drivers, tracks etc but the 2000s saw the greatest driver of all time demonstrating his genius and that was a pleasure to watch.

Yeh Mika :cloud9: was great wasn't he :P

HAhaha
And Yeah he was

I agree it was good to see Schumey come into his own. However who is to say that any of the people who died in the 50's, 60's etc if they had survived would of been even greater? Or even Senna if he had survived the 90's?!?

Think how many people Fangio raced that never finished the season? seeing all you mates in the morning knowing that at the end of the race not all of them might be there! Then still going out and winning championship after championship that take true guts and self belief.

How many current drivers complained that there was no run off this year in Japan and Dubai? how quick would they of been if they knew the only survival cell they where going to meet was the bark of a tree!

I agree it was good to see Schumey come into his own. However who is to say that any of the people who died in the 50's, 60's etc if they had survived would of been even greater? Or even Senna if he had survived the 90's?!?

Think how many people Fangio raced that never finished the season? seeing all you mates in the morning knowing that at the end of the race not all of them might be there! Then still going out and winning championship after championship that take true guts and self belief.

How many current drivers complained that there was no run off this year in Japan and Dubai? how quick would they of been if they knew the only survival cell they where going to meet was the bark of a tree!

Well Fangio basically made sure he was in the fastest car for each season so that is why he dominated so much. There were plenty of other good drivers around then. It is widely believed that Ascari was faster for instance. There are a number of outstanding, unfulfilled talents in F1's history. People like Dan Gurney, Ricardo Rodriguez, Pedro Rodriguez, Francois Cevert, Ronnie Peterson Tom Pryce, Gilles Villenueve who could all have achieved so much more given a good stint in some better machinery. For me the greatest lost talent was Stefan Bellof.
I had a hard time picking between the '70s and the '80s.

I have always thought the turbo cars were the most difficult to drive and therefore the most exciting but the sheer number of teams and drivers, and the competitiveness of the racing in the '70s led me to vote for that decade in the end.

The '70s also saw the beginning of the turbo era with Renault and for some reason I was a Rene Arnoux fan.

The playboy attitude of the '70s also appeals to me with colorful teams like Hesketh and colorful drivers like James Hunt providing thrills for fans as well as seeming to enjoy themselves while doing it.

Finally, Rob Walkers coverage of F1 in the '70s on the pages of R&T was, and still remains, the standard by which other writers are measured. Unfortunately, they all fall short today.
The answer depends on how the question (topic title) is taken.

For F1, would suggest safety improvements etc.

Of F1 would be overtaking etc. (from a fans point of view)
The answer depends on how the question (topic title) is taken.

For F1, would suggest safety improvements etc.

Of F1 would be overtaking etc. (from a fans point of view)

It is very hard to place Formula One into decades. Too much overlap. Too much politics. Too much...
in terms of racing, id have to say the 60's.

i would disagree, drivers were even less willing to make an overtaking move back then than they are now. My dad is always saying how boring F1 races were in the 1960s in terms of overtaking, people drove with a much bigger margin and the consequences of an off were too great to try anything really risky. The driver being overtaken was usually complicit in the move too, in those days it was the done thing to let somebody past if you knew they were faster.
It was tought, the 80's were great and by far had the greatest driver line-up in recent times, but I started to watch formula one in 95 and for me Schumacher Vs Hill, Schumacher Vs Mika were two of the greatest rivalries to date and remember such overtakes like Mika against Schumacher at spa ( ok it was 2000) show how trully great there desire to be the best was.
Hmmmm I don't really know anything pre 84, but it seems rather arbitrery to divide Formula One into decades, I think the term "era" might be better. So in my opinion you have "The Legends era" Prost/Piquet/Mansell/Senna, probably starting at Prosts first title in 1985 and ending at his last title in 1993. Then you've got the "Shumacher era" between 1994 and 2004 or 2006 depending on where you draw the line. Now we're in what? The young guns era of Hamilton/Vettel/Alonso? I personally think the current lineup of drivers is the strongest we've had since 1991 or so.
Well, I voted for 00's but it is cuz i've no seen any more, just the latests season of 1998 or 1999.

I think the frists years of 21's century were the bests for Formula 1 in my opinion. There was no so many problematic and misplaced rules changes like the changes seen at 2004, 2005 and the next seasons.. drivers did not have as many reestrictions for engine, fuel or tyres, and they can go to the limit. That was the best of F1 races. I miss that of actually F1. I think economic cuts of lasts years have make lose some of the essence of F1.

See our F1 related articles too!