FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Celebrate over sixty years of F1 - your memories, experiences and opinions.
By GarethStr
ayrton senna's crash when he died ( R.I.P)

WTF!!!!
By texasmr2
ayrton senna's crash when he died ( R.I.P)

WTF!!!!

I edited ie corrected the threads heading so Cueball's reply now makes sense :wink: .

tex
By headless
was burti ok thats a horrible crash :(

Aye he was. But yes it was a nasty crash.

Yeah the commentators was saying "He was such a ncie bloke"

Are we talking Spa 2001? It's never good when you hear Murray Walker's voice drop.

Well we don't anymore
By darwin dali
When it comes to big accidents, I'm always filled with fear, even though I know that safety is so much better than ever before. Take, for example, Kubica in 2007 - I really thought he'd be coming out of that with some serious injuries, not just a sprained ankle which forced him to miss a single race.

It was sick, I was nearly crying, I thought he could have died, while the crash was in moving.

Yes, it looked awful - I was sitting right there and watched it all unfold. The worst was how long it took until we saw some positive signs.
By headless
When it comes to big accidents, I'm always filled with fear, even though I know that safety is so much better than ever before. Take, for example, Kubica in 2007 - I really thought he'd be coming out of that with some serious injuries, not just a sprained ankle which forced him to miss a single race.

It was sick, I was nearly crying, I thought he could have died, while the crash was in moving.

Yes, it looked awful - I was sitting right there and watched it all unfold. The worst was how long it took until we saw some positive signs.

Ghastly
By dccoulthard
I was going to say OZ 1996 and Spa 1998. Though it could have been serious when Ricardo Rosset just plowed into everyone. Surprised someone didn't get killed when that happened.
By EwanM
Hey DC wasn't it you who ultimately caused the crash in Spa 1998?

Say hello to EJ for me. :wink:
By McLaren
A few that spring to mind.Maurício Gugelmin going airborne in turn one,cant remember which race it was.

Gerhard Berger when the car was on fire for what seemed a lifetime at Tamberello,Imola.

Donnely in a lotus how he survived i will never know,think it was Australia.
By LewEngBridewell
Worst F1 crash I can think of was Martin Donnelly during qualifying for the 1990 Portuguese Grand Prix.

My goodness, that was awful :(

Never nice to see a driver being thrown from the car :nono:
By andrew
I don't know if this has already been mentioned as I have not bothered to look (yeah I'm being lazy - what of it?! :irked: ) but a mention has to go to Roger Williamson at Zandvoort in 1973 and the heroic yet ultimately futile efforts of David Purely to save his friends life whilst the marshalls looked on. Heck, one guy even decided to have a tidy up and put the fire extinguisher away!

[youtube]eedXKxk_erI[/youtube]

The clip is quite upsetting and angering at the same time.
By LewEngBridewell
I'm not even going to click play. I know what happens, and it's the worst thing I've ever seen in F1. :(
By madbrad
The crash itself wasn't that bad, it's just that he died while trapped. He was not even injured when the tire blew, not when the car flipped, not when it skidded upside down, or even when it lit on fire. He yelled to Purley to get him out. By the time the car was righted and the fire extinquished, he had suffocated. Purley received the George Medal.
But that incident was recorded on film or broadcast. There are so many crashes that are not recorded, and to consider "worst" crashes, we cannot only include the ones we see on TV. I knkow it's impossible to consider things we aren't aware of, but there are very bad crashes in racing history that are way worse than the ones we know of.
Interestingly Purley himself had a more horrific crash than Williamson's in the 1977 Brithish GP. He hit a wall after his gas pedal stuck during prequal, decelerating from 108 mph to zero over 26 inches. He held the record for the most G force survived by a human for many years, at 179.8g. His injuries were extensive. He returned to racing in the Aurora AFX series, but moved on to competitive aerobatics and died in a crash there in 1985. Purley's sequence of events is similar then to Pironi's I would say.

I only know any of this because of WIki.
By Rick Buchanan
Uh, well, I'm guessing you meant "worst" crash.
Most all are bad.
Jacques in Canada
Jimmy in Germany
Lauda, Williamson, Gilles....

Maybe the very worst was Von Tripps.

Just recently I was waiting for my doctor and I stopped by a bookstore.
I picked up an issue of F1 magazine, and there it was; Kimi, a brilliant
driver and former world champion who crash landed into a Lotus drive
for 2012. This is terrible... one of the worst disasters in the world, I...
I can't talk, ladies and gentlemen, oh the humanity...

-Rick

See our F1 related articles too!