FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Celebrate over sixty years of F1 - your memories, experiences and opinions.
You know it was implied...!

:D

In that case, I guess Stewart. Though Alex Wurz has just started to get involved in some road safety stuff, according to JA's site. Applying F1 experience to road safety has to be good, right? So there you go - Stewart within F1, Wurz outside it! (Mostly because I don't really pay attention to any other drivers outside of F1)

In that case, I guess Stewart. Though Alex Wurz has just started to get involved in some road safety stuff, according to JA's site. Applying F1 experience to road safety has to be good, right? So there you go - Stewart within F1, Wurz outside it! (Mostly because I don't really pay attention to any other drivers outside of F1)

As is well-documented, I think Alex Wurz is the bee's knees.

surprised you didnt say Jenson Button is the most important driver in history :twisted:

surprised you didnt say Jenson Button is the most important driver in history :twisted:

Surprised you didn't say bud is the most important person in history :rolleyes:

A bit harsh! copyright by DD:D

A bit harsh! copyright by DD:D

I'll send you the bill for my royalties :P
It's Sir Jackie Stewart for me as well. He did a lot to improve the safety standards in the sport. Second would be Senna, for me. He was Formula One's first superstar, and his battles with Prost (and a few others) were the best the sport has seen before or since. It would be unfair to include his death in the reasons outlining his importance in this context, as the the safety improvements which followed it were a consequence of his fatal accident, rather than something he actively promoted during his career.

oh dont worry, i would have if that was the topic at hand! :hehe:

oh dont worry, i would have if that was the topic at hand! :hehe:

lol :thumbup:
Depends on what is meant by important. Senna's death made people aware of the dangers, and it lead to whole sale changes in the cockpit design etc.. Schumachers broken legs led to longer cars and more rows of tires. Stewart was, however a big time mover on the safety issue. However, I think what is important, is expanding the fan base, as that's what drives the sport. Using that parameter, Schumacher could draw people to watch the sport, who otherwise wouldn't watch, much like golfs Tiger Woods. Stewart and Mario Andretti had a similar quality years ago. While Senna, Prost and Piquet were all brilliant, they didn't seem to draw the non-f1 fan into the sport. Mansell also had a broad appeal as did Gilles Villeneuve in his very short career.

See our F1 related articles too!