FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Celebrate over sixty years of F1 - your memories, experiences and opinions.
As it says on the tin.

It doesn't necessarily have to be the fastest or the most successful, etc etc etc...

I have a good idea of who i'd chose.
Jim Clark - showing that even whilst you're an F1 driver you can still do lots of other forms of motorsport, even for fun - sadly it lead to his fatal accident 41 years ago. :(
Stewart was my choice too, for the same reasons.

I would also mention Senna for mainly different reasons (although he indirectly improved safety further) - i think Senna was the first 'complete' F1 driver, he truly embraced the aspects of driver fitness, technical knowledge relating to car development ability, etc etc etc - he is the blueprint for a great modern F1 driver.
Moss and Stewart raised the bar for professionalism and doing extra stuff besides the motorsport. Senna, Prost and Schumacher I'm sure have all had a big influence on modern drivers and the way in which people go about motor racing now.
Hamilton is commercially the most important driver around now and will probably go on to be one of the most famous F1 drivers of all time.
Gilles Villeneuve was the most important driver prior to his death in 1982 as he represented a ray of hope to those within F1 at a time when the sport seemed to be in deep trouble.

Overall, I'd go with Stewart for his longstanding and continued contribution to motorsport as well as having been one of the first true professionals.
I am actually genuinely surprised that I was the only one that mentioned Ecclestone :P

Cause he did absolutely nothing of note as a driver? :P
I am actually genuinely surprised that I was the only one that mentioned Ecclestone :P

Cause he did absolutely nothing of note as a driver? :P

Nobody said they had to do something as a driver. The only criteria, judging by the question you asked, is that they are/were a Formula One driver. :P

You didn't say they had to have done something, or actually even qualified for a race! :thumbup:

See our F1 related articles too!