FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Celebrate over sixty years of F1 - your memories, experiences and opinions.

Best Finnish Driver

Leo Kinnunen
No votes
0%
Keijo Rosberg
8%
Jyrki Jarvilehto
No votes
0%
Mika Hakkinen
76%
Mika Salo
4%
Kimi Raikkonen
12%
Nico Rosberg
No votes
0%
Heikki Kovalainen
No votes
0%
By Denthúl
Nico Rosberg actually falls under German for his nationality, so he can't really count towards this poll. ;)

Having never seen any of Keke's races, nor indeed a few of the others, I'm going to say Mika Häkkinen. A great driver and a really nice person. Both Kimi and Heikki have quite a way to go before they get to the level that Mika was on, if they do indeed manage it. Mika Salo was also an impressive driver in his Formula 1 days, but he never really got a proper chance at the title. It was quite evident from his performance at Ferrari that he was a good enough driver, though.
By texasmr2
Nico Rosberg actually falls under German for his nationality, so he can't really count towards this poll. ;)

I believe his has dual citizenship's but by bloodline he is Finnish and not german.

Having never seen any of Keke's races, nor indeed a few of the others, I'm going to say Mika Häkkinen.

You are missing out on some spectacular driving by Keke the man was a beast behind the wheel.

A great driver and a really nice person. Both Kimi and Heikki have quite a way to go before they get to the level that Mika was on, if they do indeed manage it.

Kimi imo is faster than Mika was, Kimi's racecraft is still not quite what Mika's was but that will soon change I predict.

Mika Salo was also an impressive driver in his Formula 1 days, but he never really got a proper chance at the title. It was quite evident from his performance at Ferrari that he was a good enough driver, though.

Yes I was quite impressed with Salo's performance's at Ferrari and I hated the fact that Ferrari made him move aside for Irvine at the German GP.
By Denthúl
You have to remember, though, Irvine was in with a very real chance of winning the 1999 WDC. He went into the final round ahead of Mika, so it's understandable. Not like a lot of the times where Irvine and Barrichello were forced to move aside for Schumacher when Michael had no significant points lead over them. Also, whilst he may have dual nationality (I'm not sure on that), Nico is considered generally to be German, and is entered into Formula 1 as a German driver.

I have heard some very impressive things about Keke, especially challenging cars that had turbos when his own didn't. And if I'm right, he took his championship with only a single race win, didn't he?

Finally, I don't think that Kimi is faster than Mika, though it is pretty difficult to compare because the car that Kimi won his championship in, and the cars he drove prior to that, were a lot faster than the ones which Mika drove. Of course, that's just my opinion, and we'll never really know because they haven't driven alongside each other in competitive cars for us to make an accurate comparison. I don't deny that Kimi has speed, though.
By Jaws
Nico Rosberg actually falls under German for his nationality, so he can't really count towards this poll. :wink:

Yes, I know he's half-Finnish... He's racing under the flag of German and I think the biggest reason for that is just money.
By Denthúl
Nico Rosberg actually falls under German for his nationality, so he can't really count towards this poll. :wink:

Yes, I know he's half-Finnish... He's racing under the flag of German and I think the biggest reason for that is just money.

Actually, Formula 1 drivers race under the nationality displayed on their passport, so I am assuming that on his passport it says he is German. So technically, for all intents and purposes, he should be considered as such. But only technically :P

He's still a damn good driver. :)
By Jaws

I have heard some very impressive things about Keke, especially challenging cars that had turbos when his own didn't. And if I'm right, he took his championship with only a single race win, didn't he?

You're right.
By texasmr2
Actually, Formula 1 drivers race under the nationality displayed on their passport, so I am assuming that on his passport it says he is German. So technically, for all intents and purposes, he should be considered as such. But only technically :P

Yah I believe you are correct.
By texasmr2

You're right.

Yep one win at the '82 Swiss GP the year of his WDC title.
By Denthúl
Yep. It's in the FIA regulations.

112. Nationality of a competitor or driver

As far as the application of this Code is concerned, every competitor or driver who has obtained their licence from an ASN takes the nationality of that ASN for the period of validity of that licence. All drivers, irrespective of the nationality of their licence, participating in any FIA World Championship event, shall retain the nationality of their passport in all official documents, meetings, information bulletins and prize-giving ceremonies.

:)
By Jaws

He's still a damn good driver. :)

However, he is a really good driver, as you said.

But this is the truth: When Nico drops out, he's German and when he's driving well, he's Finnish.

Just kidding. :D
By texasmr2
But this is the truth: When Nico drops out, he's German and when he's driving well, he's Finnish.

:lol:
By Denthúl
However, he is a really good driver, as you said.

Works for me. I've considered moving to Finland, not to Germany... :P
By Lem

You're right.

Yep one win at the '82 Swiss GP the year of his WDC title.

I always wonder if he'd have won if Villeneuve and Pironi hadn't had their horrific accidents.

At the same time, I do like to see consistency rewarded. Rather than 'being lucky' I consider it a unique achievement.
By texasmr2
I always wonder if he'd have won if Villeneuve and Pironi hadn't had their horrific accidents.

That's something we will never know unfortunately which make's me very sad. :(

At the same time, I do like to see consistency rewarded. Rather than 'being lucky' I consider it a unique achievement.

I could not agree with you more and a few thing's about Keke's championship year was that he was disqualified in Brazil and had THREE :shock: retirement's!

What I liked about Keke was he did not talk poo, he told you exactly what he was thinking, he would get out of the car and fireup a cigarette and he was the epitome of what a F1 driver should be at that time. Keke imho was the mold of a driver that Senna aspired to be and achieved on track which was a 'ball's to the wall, I have a death wish mentality in that I will exceed my car's limit's and my own mental limitation's to be faster than everyone esle'!

See our F1 related articles too!