FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Celebrate over sixty years of F1 - your memories, experiences and opinions.

which of these do u like best

Heinz-Harald Frentzen
11%
Jean Alesi
20%
Gerhard Berger
13%
Oliver Panis
13%
Jos Verstappen
9%
Ralf Schumacher
4%
Jarno Trulli
2%
David Coulthard
28%
I've voted for Gerhard Berger, who I think was doing a great job against the likes of Mansell, Piquet, Senna and Prost, and went on to win the German Grand Prix 11 years after his first win.

Jos Verstappen was a very much on-off driver. He had his great days, but many more meh... days.

Under-rated and definitely deserving of the title 'best Dutch formula one driver' is my opinion definitely Jan Lammers.
He always drove in really bad cars, but did surprisingly well in them. His p4 qualifying spot in an ATS at the 1980 Long Beach Grand Prix is testament to that.
What's most impressive however, I think is when you look at Jan Lammers entire racing career. He won his first race at the age of 16, before he had a driver's license: a group 1 touring car race at the Zandvoort track. In his first year of Fomrula One, he was often on the tail of team mate Andrea de Cesaris and even outqualified him a number of times. He still holds the record for longest time between consecutive Grand Prix starts, between the 1982 Dutch Grand Prix and his last two races in 1992 for March. He won the 1988 edition of the 24 hours of Le Mans, driving 13 of the 24 hours and having to drive in 4th gear for the last part of the race, still being just one lap short of the distance record that stood until 2010. He finished 2nd in 1990. 24 years after winning his first championship in European Formula 3, he still won the 2003 Sportscar championship, age 47. Even this year, at age 55, he participated in Dakar (finished 19th) and drove the first ever hybrid (LMP1) car to qualify at Le Mans, and he doesn't seem to be planning a retirement yet.

Then there are three under-rated drivers who I believe showed great potential: Tom Coronel, Robert Doornbos and Bruno Junqueira:

Tom Coronel:
Tom Coronel's career kind of reads like Jan Lammers', as in that he was fast and succesfull from a young age and still is fast in many many different categories. After winning the Formula Nippon (Japanese f3000) championship in just his second year in 1999, he was cheated out of a Formula One seat with Arrows for 2000. Since that disappointment in his career, he has consistently shown he is a driver to be reckoned with, winning races in touring cars, GT cars and winning the World Touring Car Championship independant trophy 3 years. This year, he is the fastest non-Chevrolet driver, currently 4th in the championship, and has twice the amount of championship points of the next BMW driver in the championship. If he finds a fast car in Le Mans, I definitely see him winning that one as well.

Robert Doornbos:
It's kind of tricky to rate him, since he has had such an odd career. He was actually a professional tennis player before he met Jacques Villeneuve, who told him he should try out motorsports. Despite finishing second in his first ever motor racing season (didn't even do karts), the 1999 Benelux Formula Ford championship, his early career didn't jump out as amazing. But than suddenly, in 2004, he finishes third in the formula 3000 championship (now gp2) and wins the race at Spa. Being a test driver for Jordan in 2004 and 2005, he was often faster than his racing team mates and after the mid-season change to Minardi, started beating Albers towards the end of the season. In 2006, as the Red Bull test driver, he was often faster than Coulthard, and when he raced in the last 3 races, actually outqualified Coulthard 2 to 1. Moving to Champcars the next year, he became rookie of the year, finshing 3rd in the championship, winning 2 races and being a serious title contender halfway through the year. A lot of bad luck cost him the 2008 Superleague Formula title, still finishing 3rd with 2 wins. He also showed he could get around fast in A1GP, almost taking a win were it not for... bad luck. Indycar was not his thing and his return to Superleague Formula in 2010 and this year have been unfortunate. While he hasn't shown the consistency, I think especially his year at Red Bull in 2006 and his Champcar year in 2007 have shown he is, or at least was, a great talent, and I think if he had been given a ride with Red Bull in 2007, he could have shown some nice things.

Bruno Junqueira:
I have kind of lost track of him after him challenging Button for the ride at Williams in 2000 and him taking the formula 3000 title that year, but he has finished runner-up in Champcars in 2002, 2003 and 2004. Always thought of him as someone who would have done well in Formula One; he could have been a Brazilian Montoya in my opinion.
Alesi, he had rotten luck at Ferrari and even worse luck at Benetton. Wonder what would have happened if he stayed with Tyrell in 1991.

nope. he signed with williams then backed out to go to ferrari in 1991. had he gone to williams, he'd have been world champion.
I voted Panis. Sadly i don't think he was the same after his accident - he was brilliant up until then that season.

Dunno why Alesi is on this list, everyone should know he's a total legend! :hehe:
Alesi, he had rotten luck at Ferrari and even worse luck at Benetton. Wonder what would have happened if he stayed with Tyrell in 1991.

nope. he signed with williams then backed out to go to ferrari in 1991. had he gone to williams, he'd have been world champion.

Had he? I read that it was Willaims, Tyrell and Ferrari merely claimed he had signed for them. Don't think he backed out unless you have a source that proves otherwise.

Had he? I read that it was Willaims, Tyrell and Ferrari merely claimed he had signed for them. Don't think he backed out unless you have a source that proves otherwise.

I seem to remember Sir Frank getting a gleaming shiny road Ferrari out of this deal.

I seem to remember Sir Frank getting a gleaming shiny road Ferrari out of this deal.

I dare say he could buy a few without getting a free gift. Any source?

I dare say he could buy a few without getting a free gift. Any source?

Urban myth fraid guvnor

i was under the belief that it was an actual Ferrari F1 car from 1990, and that it was in the same show room as all the williams F1's on display. I vaguely remember seeing this in a documentary years ago. but i could be wrong.

See our F1 related articles too!