FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Celebrate over sixty years of F1 - your memories, experiences and opinions.
By darwin dali
Oh, is it THAT thin? Sorry, I need more girth...
By certom
wanna try my sequoia?
By 7UpJordan
I remember waking up early at 7am one Sunday morning having recorded the 1994 Japanese Grand Prix, a race which showed that Damon Hill was not the "lucky" driver so many people make him out to be, in this race he took on and beat Schumacher in the awful wet conditions that Schumi thrived on so much. This was the last race to be classified on aggregate times and Nigel Mansell still showed he's got what it takes, passing Alesi for 3rd at the final chicane, but he was classified 4th.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=F71G9TCnp5A

Then Hill went 1 better 2 years later by sewing up the Championship, and I got up so early on that chilly mid-October morning to see him do it, with Murray Walker saying those famous words, "and I've got to stop, because I've got a lump in my throat!".
By certom
This was the last race to be classified on aggregate times

explain please? i've never heard it! :shock:

with Murray Walker saying those famous words, "and I've got to stop, because I've got a lump in my throat!".

yeah i've got it on a video, but i couldn't understand all the words!
By 7UpJordan
This was the last race to be classified on aggregate times

explain please? i've never heard it! :shock:

Even I struggle to explain it, and I didn't have a clue what it meant back in 1994 either. :P

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1994_Japanese_Grand_Prix
By certom
oh, so because of the double start, they calculated the total time, not just the finishing order?
By 7UpJordan
oh, so because of the double start, they calculated the total time, not just the finishing order?

That's right, that's why Mansell was classified 4th despite passing Alesi at the final chicane.
By racechick
I remember waking up early at 7am one Sunday morning having recorded the 1994 Japanese Grand Prix, a race which showed that Damon Hill was not the "lucky" driver so many people make him out to be, in this race he took on and beat Schumacher in the awful wet conditions that Schumi thrived on so much. This was the last race to be classified on aggregate times and Nigel Mansell still showed he's got what it takes, passing Alesi for 3rd at the final chicane, but he was classified 4th.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=F71G9TCnp5A

That was a classic! Well exciting!

My favourite that Ive actually watched was Silverstone(cant remember the year) when Barichelo won, Juan did really well :D:D:D:D and the loony with bird wings nearly got webber on hanger straight. It was a great race, best F1 Ive seen live, I stood up the whole time(I usually sit down for the boring bits) Dead good race!!
A few years have passed since this thread was last used. Any more to add to it?

I'd certainly suggest Brazil '08 :thumbup:

Spa 1998

Japan 2005

Any others?
By scotty
Jerez '97
Canada '11
Monaco '82
Europe '93

All worthy contenders that (i think) haven't been mentioned yet.
By McLaren
Brazil 2008 when Lewis won the title.I don't think you could of had a more dramatic race.The occasion ,the weather ,Vettel taking Lewis and the title going to Massa,only for the last corner to have one final twist.pure drama.It gets my vote for the fact not only was the race good, but there was so much at stake as well.
Brazil 2008 when Lewis won the title.I don't think you could of had a more dramatic race.The occasion ,the weather ,Vettel taking Lewis and the title going to Massa,only for the last corner to have one final twist.pure drama.It gets my vote for the fact not only was the race good, but there was so much at stake as well.

Absolutely. Never has a race had me stood up and shouting for so long. Epic :cloud9:

See our F1 related articles too!