FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Celebrate over sixty years of F1 - your memories, experiences and opinions.
By madbrad
Well now that's what I call hooking a brother up(with data)!
By 7UpJordan
Imola 1982: 14 drivers on the grid.

Pos. No Driver Nat. Entrant Chassis Engine Laps Result Points Grid
1 28 Didier Pironi FRA Scuderia Ferrari Ferrari 126C2 Ferrari 60 1h36m38.887s 9 6
2 27 Gilles Villeneuve CAN Scuderia Ferrari Ferrari 126C2 Ferrari 60 1h36m39.253s 6 3
3 03 Michele Alboreto ITA Team Tyrrell Tyrrell 011 Ford 60 1h37m46.571s 4 5
4 31 Jean Pierre Jarier FRA Osella Squadra Corse Osella FA1C Ford 59 - 3 9
5 10 Eliseo Salazar CHL Team ATS ATS D5 Ford 57 - 2 14
DQ 09 Manfred Winkelhock GER Team ATS ATS D5 Ford 54 Underweight - 12
NC 36 Teo Fabi ITA Toleman Group Motorsport Toleman TG181C Hart 52 - - 10
R 16 René Arnoux FRA Equipe Renault Elf Renault RE30B Renault 44 Engine - 1
R 23 Bruno Giacomelli ITA Marlboro Team Alfa Roméo Alfa Roméo 182 Alfa Roméo 24 Engine - 6
R 32 Riccardo Paletti ITA Osella Squadra Corse Osella FA1C Ford 7 Suspension - 13
R 15 Alain Prost FRA Equipe Renault Elf Renault RE30B Renault 6 Engine - 2
R 22 Andrea De Cesaris ITA Marlboro Team Alfa Roméo Alfa Roméo 182 Alfa Roméo 4 Fuel Pump - 7
R 04 Brian Henton GBR Team Tyrrell Tyrrell 011 Ford 0 Clutch - 11
R 35 Derek Warwick GBR Toleman Group Motorsport Toleman TG181C Hart 0 Electrics - 8

After the race Gilles said he would never speak to Pironi ever again and with tragic irony he was right, 13 days later he was killed at Zolder in a horrific crash. :cry:
By madbrad
As I said I did not think that was the same race. I could be wrong though.
By madbrad
Was that the same race where it started without all the tams' knowledge and there were still mechanics on the grid, and one got hit, squished between the car that hit him and the car he was working on(was working in the rear of course)? One of the two cars was an Arrows IIRC. The mechanic suffered just a broken leg. The driver that hit him got out and ran around holding his head in panic and grief.
By madbrad
Although I was at that race in Canada in 1998, I didn't see any of that action, nothing happened at the corner I was sitting at!
By deMuRe
2000 Japanese Grand Prix, got caught up in the moment...
By Irv the Swerve
Although I was at that race in Canada in 1998, I didn't see any of that action, nothing happened at the corner I was sitting at!

What corner?? Was it 6 and 7 ??
By madbrad
I was right here:
The green rectangle I added to this map. You could see right up to turn 6. It was and still is called grandstand 33. Sadly, the F1 cars did not lose it here ever. The Ferrari 355 Challenge cars did though.
By Irv the Swerve
Too bad you wasn't sitting there when JV crashed at 8 this year. :)
By madbrad
Yes it is too bad. I was here:
It's not as good as it looks, but it is as expensive as it looks. IOW, ripoff! Mrs Madbrad got the tickets as a gift, and the sales guy on the phone told here you could see the start straight. However, there is a loge between us and any view to our right, which does not show on the map. The 2005 patrons have a class action suit against the organizer over it because it was build overnight just before that race, but I guess a year later we should have known about it. We couldn't see too much downtrack either because of grandstand and trees. The worst that happened there was the odd guy going straight across the spoon dealy. In the Star Mazda Series race, there was a big wreck just past where we could see, and 4 drivers wernt to hospital. The son of Speed announcer Bob Varsha drove in that race. I am gonna post a link to the gallery of that race I made, and you can see what I could see there. It'll be in the "own pics" thread in ther media forum. *edit* that is done.
By juggles
i wasn't alive during this race but watching the last lap i wish i had been.

check this out, Senna vs Mansell at the Spanish GP (Jerez) 1986. Senna wins by something ridiculous like 0.003 secs:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=wAOTZd27l5w
By texasmr2
Yah off the top of my head the '86 Spanish GP was the most intense. I got out of my chair and sat right in front of the tv it was so awesome.
By 7UpJordan
I was only 1 at the time that happened, but when I first managed to see it I was amazed by the rate Mansell closed in on Senna on the final lap. And also earlier in the race when Mansell shuts the door on Senna forcing him onto the grass, the director switches to Keke Rosberg coming out of the pits! Not as bad as the Interlagos director a few weeks ago mind.
By toothe
yeah i havent seen many of the older races, tryng to find someone with them divx or dvd to buy/have lol.

I enjoyed the jap gp this year, that rain made it mad to race in, and buttons laps without a front wing were fantastic.

there is so many bits of senna racing through the 80's and 90's with mansell. i just wish that the battle and standard of driving/cars was that good now. senna was magical.

there are plenty of parts of racing i love. kubica battling at the end of a gp this year was brilliant.

think the best GP i have ever watched was monaco when MS crashed in the bridge.

See our F1 related articles too!