The Best of the British

Celebrate over sixty years of F1 - your memories, experiences and opinions.

No1 British Driver Ever?

Sterling Moss
4
7%
Jackie Stewart
18
31%
Damon Hill/Graham Hill
3
5%
Nigel Mansell
7
12%
John Surtees
0
No votes
Jenson Button
2
3%
David Coulthard
4
7%
Jim Clark
17
29%
James Hunt
2
3%
Mike Hawthorn
2
3%
 
Total votes: 59

User avatar
Irv the Swerve
Posts: 1504
Joined: 02 Sep 06, 19:41
Favourite Driver: Michael Schumacher
Favourite Team: Ferrari
Location: Vancouver, BC

The Best of the British

Postby Irv the Swerve »

Who has been the best British driver in F1 history?

(Only allowed so many opitions) :(

Drivers who couldn't be put up:

Martin Brundle
Johnny Herbert
John Watson
and Other :P
User avatar
bud
Shrub
Posts: 17633
Joined: 10 Jan 06, 03:02
Favourite Driver: Ayrton Senna, Lewis Hamilton
Favourite Team: McLaren
Location: Adelaide, Australia, ɹǝpun uʍop

Postby bud »

All the Scots at the top of the list ofcourse :P
User avatar
Lewis Hamilton - COME ON!
Posts: 630
Joined: 11 Jun 07, 17:32
Location: Walton, Liverpool, England, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Universe

Postby Lewis Hamilton - COME ON! »

i vote....Irv lol

lewis Hamilton gets my vote!
TGL - 518 Forums
Liverpool FC European Champions: 1977, 1978, 1981, 1984 1985, 2005,
2007
My Intro Thread
R.I.P. Rocol ;)
User avatar
McLaren Fan
Posts: 8005
Joined: 24 Jul 07, 11:40
Location: Belfast, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom

Postby McLaren Fan »

Tough question. There are several people who could really be chosen. I won't vote, at least until I've had a really good think about the matter.

However, the fact Button is up is a laugh and why are Damon and Graham Hill put together? Graham was in a different class from his son.
Image
Ayrton Senna: WDC 1988, 1989, 1990, 1991
McLaren: WCC 1974, 1984, 1985, 1988, 1989, 1990, 1991, 1998, 1999, 2007
McLaren: WDC 1974, 1976, 1984, 1985, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1990, 1991, 1998, 1999, 2008
User avatar
Lewis Hamilton - COME ON!
Posts: 630
Joined: 11 Jun 07, 17:32
Location: Walton, Liverpool, England, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Universe

Postby Lewis Hamilton - COME ON! »

HAHA yeah...he's missed one person out Eddie Irvine LOL
TGL - 518 Forums
Liverpool FC European Champions: 1977, 1978, 1981, 1984 1985, 2005,
2007
My Intro Thread
R.I.P. Rocol ;)
User avatar
darwin dali
Forum Queen
Posts: 26937
Joined: 18 Mar 06, 02:56

Postby darwin dali »

British, eh?
It's funny how suddenly they are British. In football they are Scots, Welsh, English, Northern Irish - I've always wondered why the Brits are allowed to have 4 sides while everybody else has only one. I don't know of another sport that gives them this unfair privilege - anybody?
Image Le coeur a ses raisons que la raison ne connaît point. Image
User avatar
Lewis Hamilton - COME ON!
Posts: 630
Joined: 11 Jun 07, 17:32
Location: Walton, Liverpool, England, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Universe

Postby Lewis Hamilton - COME ON! »

darwin_dali wrote:British, eh?
It's funny how suddenly they are British. In football they are Scots, Welsh, English, Northern Irish - I've always wondered why the Brits are allowed to have 4 sides while everybody else has only one. I don't know of another sport that gives them this unfair privilege - anybody?


well its polictics - yawn

wales, N.Ireland, scotland are ruled by The Queen, but they have there own govement, thus there own FA, its crazy...maybe i should ask my political friend in skool about it...as he'll know alot more about it than i would LOl
TGL - 518 Forums
Liverpool FC European Champions: 1977, 1978, 1981, 1984 1985, 2005,
2007
My Intro Thread
R.I.P. Rocol ;)
User avatar
darwin dali
Forum Queen
Posts: 26937
Joined: 18 Mar 06, 02:56

Postby darwin dali »

Yeah, I know it's politics and history and I could swallow it if it was throughout all sports, but only in football? Or are there more? Like rugby, cricket and other weird activities the Brits enjoy?

And besides, those governments you mention are not any more independent than most regional governments that may exist in other countries. So, e.g., Quebec should have their own football side?
Image Le coeur a ses raisons que la raison ne connaît point. Image
User avatar
Lewis Hamilton - COME ON!
Posts: 630
Joined: 11 Jun 07, 17:32
Location: Walton, Liverpool, England, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Universe

Postby Lewis Hamilton - COME ON! »

darwin_dali wrote:Yeah, I know it's politics and history and I could swallow it if it was throughout all sports, but only in football? Or are there more? Like rugby, cricket and other weird activities the Brits enjoy?

And besides, those governments you mention are not any more independent than most regional governments that may exist in other countries. So, e.g., Quebec should have their own football side?


quebec is part of Canada, Scotland is part of the Great Britian, GB rules over Scotland, Wales & Ireland

Rugby: in union, there isnt a UK or GB, but in "League" there is a GB
Motorracin: they are classed under UK
soccer: (man i hate that term): they each have there own FA so go figure
Athletics: they are classed as B, but with a UK flag

better yet wikipedia it...i dont kno WHAT to wikipedia..but i dont want to waste leik 20 mins typin something you can just wiki!

lazy i'm a lazy S.O.B.
TGL - 518 Forums
Liverpool FC European Champions: 1977, 1978, 1981, 1984 1985, 2005,
2007
My Intro Thread
R.I.P. Rocol ;)
User avatar
darwin dali
Forum Queen
Posts: 26937
Joined: 18 Mar 06, 02:56

Postby darwin dali »

Image Le coeur a ses raisons que la raison ne connaît point. Image
User avatar
Irv the Swerve
Posts: 1504
Joined: 02 Sep 06, 19:41
Favourite Driver: Michael Schumacher
Favourite Team: Ferrari
Location: Vancouver, BC

Postby Irv the Swerve »

McLaren Fan wrote:Tough question. There are several people who could really be chosen. I won't vote, at least until I've had a really good think about the matter.

However, the fact Button is up is a laugh and why are Damon and Graham Hill put together? Graham was in a different class from his son.


Only could put 10 up for the poll, so i stuck the two Hill's together and Button...well. :wink:
User avatar
Irv the Swerve
Posts: 1504
Joined: 02 Sep 06, 19:41
Favourite Driver: Michael Schumacher
Favourite Team: Ferrari
Location: Vancouver, BC

Postby Irv the Swerve »

[F1 is Bohemian Rhapsody] wrote:HAHA yeah...he's missed one person out Eddie Irvine LOL


Eddie himself might count that he is British but here in the Republic we always recognized that he was Irish. N.I is still Ireland only difference that it is under British rule.
User avatar
Lewis Hamilton - COME ON!
Posts: 630
Joined: 11 Jun 07, 17:32
Location: Walton, Liverpool, England, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Universe

Postby Lewis Hamilton - COME ON! »

Denilson wrote:
[F1 is Bohemian Rhapsody] wrote:HAHA yeah...he's missed one person out Eddie Irvine LOL


Eddie himself might count that he is British but here in the Republic we always recognized that he was Irish. N.I is still Ireland only difference that it is under British rule.


i was jokin!!!!!!!!!!111111111
TGL - 518 Forums
Liverpool FC European Champions: 1977, 1978, 1981, 1984 1985, 2005,
2007
My Intro Thread
R.I.P. Rocol ;)
User avatar
Irv the Swerve
Posts: 1504
Joined: 02 Sep 06, 19:41
Favourite Driver: Michael Schumacher
Favourite Team: Ferrari
Location: Vancouver, BC

Postby Irv the Swerve »

[F1 is Bohemian Rhapsody] wrote:
Denilson wrote:
[F1 is Bohemian Rhapsody] wrote:HAHA yeah...he's missed one person out Eddie Irvine LOL


Eddie himself might count that he is British but here in the Republic we always recognized that he was Irish. N.I is still Ireland only difference that it is under British rule.


i was jokin!!!!!!!!!!111111111


I know you were, just making a point. :D:P
User avatar
Lewis Hamilton - COME ON!
Posts: 630
Joined: 11 Jun 07, 17:32
Location: Walton, Liverpool, England, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Universe

Postby Lewis Hamilton - COME ON! »

Denilson wrote:
[F1 is Bohemian Rhapsody] wrote:
Denilson wrote:
[F1 is Bohemian Rhapsody] wrote:HAHA yeah...he's missed one person out Eddie Irvine LOL


Eddie himself might count that he is British but here in the Republic we always recognized that he was Irish. N.I is still Ireland only difference that it is under British rule.


i was jokin!!!!!!!!!!111111111


I know you were, just making a point. :D:P


typical irish...always bein seriuous when a joke is made
TGL - 518 Forums
Liverpool FC European Champions: 1977, 1978, 1981, 1984 1985, 2005,
2007
My Intro Thread
R.I.P. Rocol ;)