FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Celebrate over sixty years of F1 - your memories, experiences and opinions.
I know that comparing cars from 2 different eras would be difficult but I am particularly interested in speculating how two of Newey's most successful designs would have performed pitted against each other. Apart from the Newey factor, both used Renault engines.

Williams' all-singing all-dancing FW14B from 1992 that Nigel Mansell dorve to his only F1 WDC. It had innovations like active suspension, traction control etc.

Red Bull's RB7 from 2011 which Vettel romped to his second WDC.

If these two cars were allowed to race with hypothetical clone drivers at say, Interlagos, who would win?

Each car would be allowed to use the same gizmos as they actually did in those respective years and there would be no tyre restrictions. The Williams' pit crew however, would have facilities and training to match the RB7 for quick tyre changes.
Have you seen the video from a few years ago of Hamilton driving around monaco in a modern Mclaren and it was back to back with Senna's "I was touching god" qualifying lap. The speed difference was amazing. The modern day car was so much quicker it was unbelievable. So I would imagine that the rb is a lot quicker than the fw

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 4
It's not as simple as you might imagine. It would all come down to the track design. The RB7 would perform hugely better in the corners and could carry much more speed through and exiting them. Aerodynamically there is absolutely no contest. So at a track such as Spa there would be no contest. It would also perform much better under braking.

BUT

The FW14B has a top speed that is a good 20mph faster than the RB7, and this is not insignificant. So on a track design with long straights and tight turns (i.e. turns that you have to slow down, turn, exit then accelerate out onto another straight), where aero isn't a significant advantage, the RB7 would struggle to catch the FW14B before the braking zone. On single lap time, it's likely that the RB7 would still be a good bit clear, but in a race situation, overtaking could still be highly problematic.

Plus, the FW14B was more advanced than the 1992 regulations allowed, there is NO WAY that the full potential of that car was actually realised, in a less restrictive environment, they could probably have been even an extra 3 or 4 seconds clear on most tracks than they already were.

So on the modern F1 circuit, the RB7 would win, no question, but on some circuit designs, the FW14B could likely still hold its own.
It's not as simple as you might imagine. It would all come down to the track design. The RB7 would perform hugely better in the corners and could carry much more speed through and exiting them. Aerodynamically there is absolutely no contest. So at a track such as Spa there would be no contest. It would also perform much better under braking.

BUT

The FW14B has a top speed that is a good 20mph faster than the RB7, and this is not insignificant. So on a track design with long straights and tight turns (i.e. turns that you have to slow down, turn, exit then accelerate out onto another straight), where aero isn't a significant advantage, the RB7 would struggle to catch the FW14B before the braking zone. On single lap time, it's likely that the RB7 would still be a good bit clear, but in a race situation, overtaking could still be highly problematic.

Plus, the FW14B was more advanced than the 1992 regulations allowed, there is NO WAY that the full potential of that car was actually realised, in a less restrictive environment, they could probably have been even an extra 3 or 4 seconds clear on most tracks than they already were.

So on the modern F1 circuit, the RB7 would win, no question, but on some circuit designs, the FW14B could likely still hold its own.

Excellently presented opinion, thanks. I was thinking on similar lines and that is why I chose to 'race' them at Interlagos. A track that did not change all that much between 1992 and 2011, quite fast but no long straights......nor too tight corners either. Probably the most 'even' circuit in today's calendar using the points that you raised?

See our F1 related articles too!