FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Celebrate over sixty years of F1 - your memories, experiences and opinions.
By Ichabod
I'm waiting for a government who illegalises a habit which costs the tax payers millions per year (it'll sadly never happen). Why the heck should I pay for new lungs for someone who makes a lifestyle choice fully knowing the dangers of that choice? :irked:

Smokers contribute much more in tax than they cost the NHS
I think the current figures are cost to the taxpayer £5 bn ( this has recently been raised from £1.7 bn to take into account indirect costs)
revenue raised on tobacco products through tax in 2010/11 £11.1 bn

If everyone stopped smoking your taxes will go up
By Denthúl
I'm waiting for a government who illegalises a habit which costs the tax payers millions per year (it'll sadly never happen). Why the heck should I pay for new lungs for someone who makes a lifestyle choice fully knowing the dangers of that choice? :irked:

Should we also make drinking alcohol illegal?
By madbrad
did it work?

Well, it did stop the smuggling, because the market for those smokes vanished overnight.
But if we increase the smoking in Canada, our medical system theoretically pays out more to treat these people. In the US all the medical is private so the health care doesn't cost them anything so they don't really care how many people smoke, theoretically. That's why the ciggy taxes were so much less in the US.
But that was a long tiime ago and I think the taxes crept back up. I don't know whether the smuggling is still a concern. I think they caost a lot in the US now too. I don't know at all though.
By Jabberwocky
did the amount smoked increase?

I am not sure if ciggies where cheaper more people would smoke, I would imagine existing smokers would smoke more.
By headless
Heinz was a hero. Top guy!
By madbrad
did the amount smoked increase?

I am not sure if ciggies where cheaper more people would smoke, I would imagine existing smokers would smoke more.

I have no idea as I don't pay any attention to that stuff.
By scotty
Frentzen was a weird one. I have no idea how he only won one race in that '97 Williams.
By madbrad
Yeah was he really that much less talented than JV that year? I think he just had an off year. The year he drove the best car. Wrong year to have an off year. Maybe just too many off days that year. They all happened to be Sunday. Once, his pads exploded.
By LewEngBridewell
Yeah was he really that much less talented than JV that year? I think he just had an off year. The year he drove the best car. Wrong year to have an off year. Maybe just too many off days that year. They all happened to be Sunday. Once, his pads exploded.

At least he redeemed himself with Jordan two years later.
By andrew
He was probably told to behave and let blondie have his way.

I recall reports at the time saying he was pretty isolated in the team.

See our F1 related articles too!