FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Celebrate over sixty years of F1 - your memories, experiences and opinions.
The reason for all this is that the championship is mere math. So you were ahead in the points at the end of the last scheduled race. SO they give you the crown and the roses. So for 1 year they say you are the best.

But perhaps some other driver was ahead in the points at the end of the previous race. Had that just happened to be the final event, then HE would be crowned. Same goes in the other direction, for a scenario in which there were a theoretical one more race left. It's just the math. It doesn't make one better.

Furthermore, the points sytem changes all the time. With the current one, which gives a certain driver the title, but a different driver might have been on top with some different system.
Look at the time when Prost and Senna battled in McLaren. Only your 11 best finishes counted. Senna lost the title to Prost once because of the points he got that weren't counted. He actually had collected more points than Prost. Or was it the other way around? Doesn't matter you get the point.
Last edited by madbrad on 30 Jul 11, 19:07, edited 1 time in total.
Hill in 94. Final race in Adelaide should have been his.

Unpopular opinion with which I agree.

Me too.

I was and still am happy with the result. :D

It was refreashing to hear Hill saying that his attempted move on Schumacher was opportunistic after seeing Schumacher go off and then back on the track.

Me too.

It was refreashing to hear Hill saying that his attempted move on Schumacher was opportunistic after seeing Schumacher go off and then back on the track.

IIRC there was no clear TV coverage of whether Schumacher's car was damaged by his earlier brush with the wall. With every inch of the track covered by cameras these days, and incidents analysed ad infinitum with slo-mo and from different angles, it's easier to see if there was any skullduggery. In this case, those who dislike Schumi will always believe it was a deliberate take-out.

Me too.

IIRC there was no clear TV coverage of whether Schumacher's car was damaged by his earlier brush with the wall. With every inch of the track covered by cameras these days, and incidents analysed ad infinitum with slo-mo and from different angles, it's easier to see if there was any skullduggery. In this case, those who dislike Schumi will always believe it was a deliberate take-out.

You're right, those who dislike Schumacher will paint him as the evil Kraut who drove into Hill (despite being ahead). It's quite funny how Hill, looking back, admitted his mistake of trying a risky move yet some of his fans don't share his pragmatic view.

Me too.

You're right, those who dislike Schumacher will paint him as the evil Kraut who drove into Hill (despite being ahead). It's quite funny how Hill, looking back, admitted his mistake of trying a risky move yet some of his fans don't share his pragmatic view.

Changed his mind since then, according to a recent interview. Funny how memories alter with time...

See our F1 related articles too!