FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Celebrate over sixty years of F1 - your memories, experiences and opinions.
With my limited historical knowledge of F1, I've noticed that a lot of drivers struggle at their "home" GP. For example, I know Senna took a long time to win in Brazil. Webber has never done very well in Australia. Same with Alonso in Valencia and Barcelona.

So are there any drivers that just completely OWNED their home GP? Obviously I presume the dominant guys like Shumacher did simply because they were dominating every track in their day. So I guess I'm more curious about guys who tended to perform better than expected at their home GP's.
Woot! Chance to get a big up for my favourite ever driver ! :cloud9: (i know hes been retired for like 20 years but still..........

Alain Prost:

6 time winner of the French Grand Prix

Also, Hamilton i know is handy at Silverstone, or has been except 09, and Massa has been good at Brazil.
Gilles Villeneuve got his first F1 race win at his home GP in Montreal, and apart from 1980 when Ferrari had one of the worst cars on the grid, always finished on the podium thereafter. He did manage one of his few points scoring finishes at the circuit in 1980 though.
So the circuit Gilles Villeneuve had always been good to its namesake!

See our F1 related articles too!