FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Celebrate over sixty years of F1 - your memories, experiences and opinions.
By madbrad
Right before I get gazumped again by unethical competition players, which driver made their F1 debut at the ripe old age of 38?

Which driver made HIS F1 debut at the ripe old age of 38?

Unless women drivers are meant to be included there :wink:

If female specific, HER would be correct. If the gender is non specific, HIS is actually(surprisingly) correct to cover both sexes, but HIS OR HER is also acceptable.

The students were advised that each must bring his lunchbox on Monday.

In a class presumably populated by both sexes, HIS is the correct word to use. If it were an all girl class and the reader knew that, then HER would be correct.

The students were advised that each must bring their lunchboxes on Monday.

that is sloppy and incorrect grammar. THEIR always refers to a plurality of people, and the word EACH made the subject singular. If I asked you to bring THEIR lunchbox, I would be asking you to bring a lunchbox that belongs to some group of people that is not you.
So the question is asking what driver made a debut of someone else, and more than one person. It makes no sense. Regardless of whether it makes sense to me, thogh, it is incorrect.

Guidelines for Gender-Fair Use of Language
Use the plural pronoun when the indefinite referent is clearly understood to be plural.

Avoid exclusionary forms such as

When everyone contributes his own ideas, the discussion will be a success.
Does everybody have his book?

Choose inclusionary alternatives

When everyone contributes their own ideas, the discussion will be a success.
Does everybody have their book?

Use of the singular they/their form. This construction is becoming increasingly acceptable. However, classroom teachers need to be aware that state and/or national assessments may not regard this construction as correct.

Does each student have his book?

Does each student have their book?

Fair enough, you were taught that, and I was taught the way I posted. By taught I mean in class at school. So we have 2 different things that are opposite yet claim to be right. OK it's a big world.
At the end of your post, the few examples there, where it uses the word THEIR, that would be wrong by what I was taught. If you think HIS is exclusionary, then using HIS OR HER will be acceptable.
I wonder though, if things changed since I was taught, to reflect a more enlightened worldly attitude about gender. That is, not keeping the women down.
As you have probably noticed, maybe from past posts as well, I'm pretty anal about grammar and diction, and spelling too. I know it doesn't matter. I just can't help myself. Not to say I know all grammar and never err in that arena, and I know I make a lot of typos because I can't type, just that I spot some glaring faux pas and it sets me in motion.
By darwin dali
Right before I get gazumped again by unethical competition players, which driver made their F1 debut at the ripe old age of 38?

Which driver made HIS F1 debut at the ripe old age of 38?

Unless women drivers are meant to be included there :wink:

If female specific, HER would be correct. If the gender is non specific, HIS is actually(surprisingly) correct to cover both sexes, but HIS OR HER is also acceptable.

The students were advised that each must bring his lunchbox on Monday.

In a class presumably populated by both sexes, HIS is the correct word to use. If it were an all girl class and the reader knew that, then HER would be correct.

The students were advised that each must bring their lunchboxes on Monday.

that is sloppy and incorrect grammar. THEIR always refers to a plurality of people, and the word EACH made the subject singular. If I asked you to bring THEIR lunchbox, I would be asking you to bring a lunchbox that belongs to some group of people that is not you.
So the question is asking what driver made a debut of someone else, and more than one person. It makes no sense. Regardless of whether it makes sense to me, thogh, it is incorrect.

Guidelines for Gender-Fair Use of Language
Use the plural pronoun when the indefinite referent is clearly understood to be plural.

When everyone contributes his own ideas, the discussion will be a success.
Does everybody have his book?

When everyone contributes their own ideas, the discussion will be a success.
Does everybody have their book?

Use of the singular they/their form. This construction is becoming increasingly acceptable. However, classroom teachers need to be aware that state and/or national assessments may not regard this construction as correct.

Does each student have his book?

Does each student have their book?

Fair enough, you were taught that, and I was taught the way I posted. By taught I mean in class at school. So we have 2 different things that are opposite yet claim to be right. OK it's a big world.
At the end of your post, the few examples there, where it uses the word THEIR, that would be wrong by what I was taught. If you think HIS is exclusionary, then using HIS OR HER will be acceptable.
I wonder though, if things changed since I was taught, to reflect a more enlightened worldly attitude about gender. That is, not keeping the women down.
As you have probably noticed, maybe from past posts as well, I'm pretty anal about grammar and diction, and spelling too. I know it doesn't matter. I just can't help myself. Not to say I know all grammar and never err in that arena, and I know I make a lot of typos because I can't type, just that I spot some glaring faux pas and it sets me in motion.

Just FYI: I'm with you. Good grammar is important. And I was taught the same things you were taught. What I'm saying is that languages evolve (as they should) and the usage outlined above is one such new development, so get with it :)
By andrew
I think this has gone off topic. As far as I am concerned, my question was grammatically correct.

Can't vouch for the spelling though. :hehe:
By andrew
Seeing as no one ventured a guess and decided to have :censored: English lecture instead, the answer to my question is George Follmer, but it's seems pretty irrelevant now seeing as y'all decided to bitch about the grammer in a thread that was meant to be a simple bit of fun. :irked::banghead:
By madbrad
You don't like it leave.
Never heard of that guy he's irrelevant.
By LRW
You don't like it leave.

Oh, because YOU'VE never heard of him he is irrelevant?

YOU are irrelevant.
By andrew
You don't like it leave.

I've never heard of you so stick that in yer pipe and smoke it!

Yeah, I went there! :D
By scotty
I think it's fair to say most of the answers to questions in this thread are pretty obscure though :P

Okay, lets get back on track. Pretty easy (if you use google and CHEAT anyway) :P

There's been a couple of female drivers in F1 over the years, yet only one ever scored world championship points. Who, when, where and how many?
By scotty
Right. Next!
By madbrad
That's remarkable. I got not one but 2 guys to bite me on that! Relax everyone it's a joke.

The girl angle has been covered ad nauseum in here.
By LRW
That's remarkable. I got not one but 2 guys to bite me on that! Relax everyone it's a joke.

The girl angle has been covered ad nauseum in here.

Oh sorry, did I forget to laugh...?
By LewEngBridewell
If Pastor Maldonado fails to score another point, but competes in every remaining race, he will finish the season outside the top ten having won a race. Before Pastor, how many other drivers have competed in every race of a season, won one and finished outside of the top ten? Who were they, where was their win and which year did they do it in? For the purposes of this question, you should ignore the Indy 500 in the seasons where it was considered part of the F1 championship.

Just bumping Denthúl's question, as mentioned.

See our F1 related articles too!