FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Celebrate over sixty years of F1 - your memories, experiences and opinions.
From the May print issue of F1 Racing, which went to press before the 2011 GP of China:

UK: 550
France: 293
Brazil: 285
Germany: 261
Italy: 207
Finland: 137
USA: 129
Austria: 118

Netherlands: 2
Japan: 2
Monaco: 1
Russia: 1
Zimbabwe: 1
Portugal: 1

Sorry, I wasn't ambitious enough to also get all those in-between countries.

I don't know what the Finns are putting in their water but perhaps they should sell some to Japan, Russia and Portugal.
I'm surprised at the positions of Japan and USA, some of my early memories of F1 (80s) are of Murray walker shouting out some Japanese names, was there any particular era where US drivers were prominent?
was there any particular era where US drivers were prominent?

Only 1961 when Phil Hill (RIP) won the WDC and he is the only American to win the WDC.

Only 1961 when Phil Hill (RIP) won the WDC and he is the only American to win the WDC.

Mario Andretti, 1978 8-)

Mario Andretti, 1978 8-)

Mario was born in Croatia and Phil was born in Florida but yes I did forget about Mario.

Mario Andretti, 1978 8-)

Mario was born in Croatia and Phil was born in Florida but yes I did forget about Mario.

It doesn't really matter where he was born it just his citizenship. At least in the sporting world, that's how it goes. Now if Mario were to run for president, he probably could since no one would ask to see his birth certificate. :hehe:
I'd say Australia would be in the double figures with Sir Jack Brabham, Alan Jones and Webber. But really not so many at all.

One thing we can claim Sir Jack is the only driver to win a race in his own constructor car :D

On Portugal, I wouldnt even count that 1 podium. That was at the fateful Indy 6 car "Race" in 05.
Suprised by USA and Austria so high up.

UK domination though !

Jochen Rindt, Niki Lauda, Gerhard Berger - Austria was mighty. And now again with Red Bull.

Mario Andretti, 1978 8-)

It was Italy back then, so he's Italian (and American).
Suprised by USA and Austria so high up.

UK domination though !

Jochen Rindt, Niki Lauda, Gerhard Berger - Austria was mighty. And now again with Red Bull.

Thats three drivers, 4 championships, over 30 years respectively. You cant argue stats but its not strange to be suprised that Austria gets itself up there.

Mario Andretti, 1978 8-)

It was Italy back then, so he's Italian (and American).

Andretti is an Italic surname not Slavic too.

See our F1 related articles too!