FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Celebrate over sixty years of F1 - your memories, experiences and opinions.
By scotty
Some that i'd consider unlikely that haven't already been mentioned:

Patrese, Monaco 1982
Watson, US West 1983
Rosberg, Dallas 1984
Berger, Mexico 1986
Nannini, Japan 1989
Schumacher, Spa 1992
Hill, Belgium 1998
Alonso, Hungary 2003
Raikkonen, Spa 2004
Button, Hungary 2006
By ssmmdd
Hill, Belgium 1998

Agreed, but I'd say that I didn't think Jordan would get the 1-2. Well, not at the start of the race (before the restart) & once Schumacher passed Hill.

Still, MS ramming DC's rear & MS storming to DC's garage accusing him of "trying to :censored: kill me" & threatening to kill him during the race was one of those awesome rare moments you rarely see. :D
Wow I'm surprised no one mentioned MASSA for Spa 2008.... :D
I remember watching Monaco in 1996, and trust me, no one saw it coming. Up front was the mighty Williams team, fighting Michael Schumacher in his Ferrari and the McLaren tag team of Hakkinen and Coulthard. And in the end, after countless retirements, Panis came across the finish line.

http://www.f1rejects.com/centrale/submitted/monaco96/index.html
By andrew
Hill, Belgium 1998

Agreed, but I'd say that I didn't think Jordan would get the 1-2. Well, not at the start of the race (before the restart) & once Schumacher passed Hill.

Still, MS ramming DC's rear & MS storming to DC's garage accusing him of "trying to :censored: kill me" & threatening to kill him during the race was one of those awesome rare moments you rarely see. :D

That was just through everyone else either falling off the track or having an accident. I remember hearing that in Coulthard's book, he states that he was told that Schumacher was behind him and to slow down unsighted, thus causing the accident. I heard this a while ago, and given the war between Ferrari and McLaren it sounds possible.

As for Hill's "win", it should have been Ralf Schumacher's, but he was asked politely to get oot the way despite leading the race and looking like getting his 1st win.

As for the most unlikely win, may I offer for your consideration Fisichella, 2003 Brazilian GP. :D
Wow I'm surprised no one mentioned MASSA for Spa 2008.... :D

:rofl::yes:

That was an example of an incredible race that the stewards completely f****d up. :thumbdown:

Especially as Massa was nowhere to be seen throughout ANY part of that race....... :rolleyes:
I'm really surprised noone's mentioned the 1999 European Grand Prix at the Nurburgring!

An absolutely incredible race. A classic. Of the 22 that started only 10 finished. It was an insane race with leader after leader dropping out like flies in the wet conditions. Stewart Grand Prix won their first and last grand prix. They also had two drivers on the podium for the first and last time in their history.

1. Johnny Herbert (Stewart Ford)
2. Jarno Trulli (Prost Peugeot)
3. Rubens Barrichello (Stewart Ford)

Keep in mind both the Stewart drivers qualified 14th and 15th respectively!

Incredible. Probably my favourite Grand Prix of all time.
Really, even though I'm enjoying F1today...I really miss the late 90's. Maybe because I was still new to F1 but the anticipation I had for the whole day leading up to the race itself is completely missing these days.
the anticipation I had for the whole day leading up to the race itself is completely missing these days.

How do you mean?? I'm just as excited as ever! That's just me though .. :wink:
I mean my whole Sunday would be thinking up various scenarios of the race start, and in my occasional naps Id dream about F1! This was when I was in my early teens I think.

Now I dont think of F1 the whole day, I just make sure I'm home before it starts...and the anticipation starts maybe half hour before the race begins.
I mean my whole Sunday would be thinking up various scenarios of the race start, and in my occasional naps Id dream about F1! This was when I was in my early teens I think.

Now I dont think of F1 the whole day, I just make sure I'm home before it starts...and the anticipation starts maybe half hour before the race begins.

Aren't you employed now? :D

As far as unlikely race wins, I'm sure McLaren and Hamilton would nominate themselves for Germany 2011.

See our F1 related articles too!