FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Celebrate over sixty years of F1 - your memories, experiences and opinions.
Would Senna's 85-87 Lotus qualify? I don't know if i'd call them "bs" though.

i don't know much about that era. Was the Lotus a Backmarker in those days??

Having seen those races and that era the Lotus might have been considered a 'backmarker' until Senna joined in '85. At the time it was normally just Williams with their Honda engine and McLaren with their TAG/Porsche engine but it was Renault ie the Lotus engine that instigated the turbo era.

Johnny 'The Earl of Dumfries' Dumfries was a good racer and a true gentleman.

No way on Earth that Lotus could be considered a backmarker. Sure it had better quali than race pace, but Senna consistently put that car on Pole, and De Angelis was regularly at the sharp end (as he was the year before Senna joined, when Mansell was hopeless in it). Johnny Dumfries is indeed a gentleman - having met him I can attest to that! - and a much better racer than he was given credit for - he didn't get many points, but that was down to the fact it was only top 6 getting points - he would have had a decent haul under todays points system!! (On checking, he had 6 top ten finishes in '86 - in fact every race he finished was in the top 10 - that's pretty impressive!).

Panis at Monaco was one, but then that race was horrendous, from memory only four or five cars actually finished the race!!

Herbert's victory in the Stewart at the European GP in 1999 is by far the most unexpected of all the races I can recall. :)
By vlad
I think the Fisi/Brazil one was most unlikely. Then again I suppose any race with a high attrition rate or wet can throw up some odd results.

Seb in the Torro Rosso, who would of bet on that before qualifying?

Both were really great!
Fisichella in the Force India came so close at Spa in 2009, but no cigar.

I almost soiled my pants in that race as a Kimi supporter that race! The Fish drove a heck of a race and would've cut the mustard if it wasn't for KERS.

Steven Bradbury, 2002 Winter Olmpics. Oh hang on.....
By cap-dude
Seb at Monza 2008. Unforgettable win in my opinion.

Fisi the following the year was something pretty special to. He should've won that race in my opinion. He was slightly robbed of it. Even more special considering it was a dry race.

Olivier Panis at Monaco 1996 also is one everyone's heard of. I mean, he drove a good race, but it was a race with 3 cars at the finish line.
Honorable mention to Hill for Hungary 1997. Sadly, it just wasnt ment to be :( .

I remember watching that race very clearly, Damon Hill almost doing the impossible of winning a GP for TWR Arrows, the only time an Arrows had a #1 on the car after Frank Williams ditched Damon once he won the world title. I remember shouting at the TV when Damon lost sixth gear and Jacques Villeneuve overtook him in the closing laps.
Johnny Herbert won one in a Stewart Ford.

Already mentioned by me buddy! :)
By madbrad
akch! I looked over the thread for that, thinking it must be already mentioned, but didn't spot it!
Can't remember what he was driving but didn't Jarno Trulli win monaco once ? haven't got a clue what car he would of been in though.

Renault. :)

And that was a great Monaco Grand Prix in 2004. In the races running up to that race, Michael Schumacher and Ferrari had swept the board. Then came Monaco, and a race of incident and excitement yielded a first ever win for Jarno Trulli in the Renault. With team-mate Alonso crashing out while trying to pass Ralf Schumacher in the tunnel, and Michael Schumacher hitting the wall after a coming-together with Juan Pablo Montoya in EXACTLY the same place.... Jenson Button pushed Jarno Trulli very hard in the closing laps, but the Italian did enough to land his only F1 win.

Great race. :)

See our F1 related articles too!