FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Celebrate over sixty years of F1 - your memories, experiences and opinions.
By Frontrunner
I'm trying to think of a race winner that has won in a car that is pretty much a backmarker or lower midfield runner. The only one that I can think of is Fisichella in a Jordan Ford at Brazil back in 2003 or 2004, can't remember what year. Anyway it was a wet race and there was a lot of DNFs (Just one of those crazy races that come across once in a blue moon). The race got the red flag after Webber in a Jaguar and Alonso in a Renault crashed out big time. I think Kimi was awarded the race win straight after the race if my memory serves me correctly and then a few days later they gave the race win to Fisichella after the FIA filter everything out because he was leading the race one lap before the red flag was out. The Jordan Ford was pretty much a backmarker back in those days with Minardi. So thats the Most unlikely race win I can think of. Wonder what the betting was for Fisi to win that race in the Jordan Ford :hehe:

Can anyone think of another very very very very unlikely race winner?
Last edited by Frontrunner on 19 Apr 11, 09:16, edited 1 time in total.
Would Senna's Toleman qualify? I don't know if i'd call them "bs" though.

EDIT: oops, nevermind. I thought he won one in that car.
Last edited by acosmichippo on 19 Apr 11, 08:53, edited 2 times in total.
By texasmr2
No win is BS as there are many factors involved but I will say the most 'unexpected race win' was Jarno Trulli at Monaco in 2004.
Would Senna's 85-87 Lotus qualify? I don't know if i'd call them "bs" though.

i don't know much about that era. Was the Lotus a Backmarker in those days??
No win is BS as there are many factors involved but I will say the most 'unexpected race win' was Jarno Trulli at Monaco in 2004.

Yeah your right, shouldn't of used BS but maybe very very very very unlikely. Not to sure about Trulli as the Renault was a good car. Trulli is pretty decent around Monaco back in those days. I think he put a Jordan Honda on the front row there against the might of Ferrari, McLaren and Williams one year.

I was actually thinking more about his Toleman. He didn't actually win in it though - nearly did at Monaco once, which is what I was thinking of. I looked at some race records, and his Lotus teammate usually finished around 4th, so i think it was a pretty decent car.
By texasmr2

Having seen those races and that era the Lotus might have been considered a 'backmarker' until Senna joined in '85. At the time it was normally just Williams with their Honda engine and McLaren with their TAG/Porsche engine but it was Renault ie the Lotus engine that instigated the turbo era.

Johnny 'The Earl of Dumfries' Dumfries was a good racer and a true gentleman.
Panis Monaco 96 comes to mind, where he started 14th in a wet race. I think 5th was his next best result all season.

Was that in a BAR Honda?? did BAR even exist in 1996?? not sure.
By texasmr2
Panis Monaco 96 comes to mind, where he started 14th in a wet race. I think 5th was his next best result all season.

No he was still with Ligier before it became Prost GP in '97.

I remember now, they had Peugeot engines didn't they??
I think the Fisi/Brazil one was most unlikely. Then again I suppose any race with a high attrition rate or wet can throw up some odd results.

Seb in the Torro Rosso, who would of bet on that before qualifying?

I remember now, they had Peugeot engines didn't they??

Mugen-Honda, which Prost swapped with Jordan for Peugot for 1998.
Rubens said that the Pugs put a "if something is wrong kill the engine" program in the ECU, as they felt that a car with a smoking engine on the side of the road was bad PR. maybe they should of spent a bit more money on getting the engines up to speed.

See our F1 related articles too!