FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Celebrate over sixty years of F1 - your memories, experiences and opinions.
When I first started watching F1 in 2010, you can be quite fooled by Bernie. He appears to be a funny and friendly dude. Well I finally finished the 2008 season, and I looked back to the silverstone, and how he's like Sorry Silverstone, you really aren't that important, donnington can cut the check. TOUGH LUCK bar stewards!

I wonder if he would say the same if bill gates and warrent buffet said hey we will give you a billion a year to host a race in hawaii, but you have to cancel monaco forever.

What a bad bad man. :nono:
When I first started watching F1 in 2010, you can be quite fooled by Bernie. He appears to be a funny and friendly dude. Well I finally finished the 2008 season, and I looked back to the silverstone, and how he's like Sorry Silverstone, you really aren't that important, donnington can cut the check. TOUGH LUCK bar stewards!

I wonder if he would say the same if bill gates and warrent buffet said hey we will give you a billion a year to host a race in hawaii, but you have to cancel monaco forever.

He's been upsetting fans for more than a decade with no end in sight.

That Silverston thing was a disgrace. Donington never stood a chance of hosting the British Grand Prix. We mere mortals apparently did more due diligence regarding the deal than Bernie, because we figured out the hole thing was an untenable con almost instantly - all because Bernie needed to call Silvertsone's bluff.

On the very slight upside, he's a fair bit better than Max Mosley was towards the end.
Oh yeah when I got to them talking about max mosley, and everyone was like "ok we know what happened" and then there is me who does not know what happened LOL. I googled it, and I was like..

Ohhh my.. :hehe:

No, he wanted to give the BRDC a kick up the arse so they would revamp the facilities.

the BRDC did but not fast enough so he gave it to Donnington.

Which duck up though no fault of his.

Again what Bernie says and what Bernie Wants are diffrent things.
Oh yeah when I got to them talking about max mosley, and everyone was like "ok we know what happened" and then there is me who does not know what happened LOL. I googled it, and I was like..

Ohhh my.. :hehe:

He's a playa huh?? :D
I don't see anything wrong at all with MrE. I think he has done a fantastic job being part of making F1 the widely accessible spectacle that it is.

The Silverstone and Donington thing was entirely the fault of the BRDC. Until recently they were only interested in building a nice cosy clubhouse for themselves and couldn't give a stuff about the fans in the muddy fields and ancient stands. It was the BRDC's reluctance (read greed) to improve the facilities at the track which caused F1 to look for an alternative to Silverstone. MrE had made his requirements be known before agreeing to keep the GP at Silverstone yet the BRDC as part of contract negotiations, none of which were unreasonable. Short of a new build, Donington was the only option. What happened their was outwith the control, of MrE and I seem to recall him giving DVLL chance after chance but yet they still failed to up their game. If you want someone to blame for the Donington mess, blame DVLL.

Maybe some of the choices for circuit locations are a bit dubious but other than that I see no problem with the chap. People have a go at him for the fees that have to be paid to CVC by race organisers but remember it takes 2 sides to agree a contract. If race organisers didn’t want to pay so much to MrE then they should not have formed a legally binding contract with CVC.

Let’s face it, if it wasn’t MrE, it would be someone else, say Rupert Murdoch. Now which would you prefer? :wink:
I`ve got no problem with Bernie or Max.
In fact, I just dont take all what he says too seriously. At the end of the day, its his decision to make, so i`m just waiting for a new story to pop out and fill in the boring time in between the races.
But what he says, dont care really. But F1 is the way it is today thnx to guys like Bernie and Max, is it good or bad, what if...etc, who knows. Time will tell what happens in the futue
There is no doubt that Max and Bernie took what was a minor sport and transformed it into a billion dollar industry. They formed an unbeatable duo, and with that much power they became corrupted. Bernie set Formula One up in such a manner that he became an instant billionaire, while Max got to enjoy power, fame, luxury, and whatever else he chose to indulge himself in.

For each of them individually, it was the stairway to heaven. But in my personal opinion, they have sent Formula One into a dead end that will eventually bring it to an end. Unlike NASCAR, Formula One does not control it's own fate, that is done by an investment company.

See our F1 related articles too!