Oh, I see cookie got banned?

Make this site better with your ideas and suggestions.
zurich_allan

Re: Oh, I see cookie got banned?

Post by zurich_allan »

bud wrote:I think this forum needs an anchorman style face off!

Can I be Brick??? :D
Favourite racing series: F1, Indycar, NASCAR, GP2, F3, Formula E, Trophee Andros, DTM, WTCC, BTCC, World Endurance... etc. etc.
Jabberwocky
Mod
Favourite Driver: 5 Iron
Favourite Team: Williams

Post by Jabberwocky »

I love lamp

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk
A racing car that does not win, is just art
Frontrunner
Favourite Driver: Daniel Ricciardo, Mark Webber

Post by Frontrunner »

Only returned to the forum a week or so ago and looks like a fair bit of stuff went down and the season hasn't started yet. That what happens when ppl don't get there F1 fix. I know I've been getting F1 horny for the last couple weeks now.
####2013 FORUMULA1.COM POOL CHAMPION####
darwin dali
Forum Queen

Post by darwin dali »

Frontrunner wrote:Only returned to the forum a week or so ago and looks like a fair bit of stuff went down and the season hasn't started yet. That what happens when ppl don't get there F1 fix. I know I've been getting F1 horny for the last couple weeks now.

Please be discrete when you get your F1 fix here, you horny dawg! :twisted: :D
Image Le coeur a ses raisons que la raison ne connaît point. Image
Big Azza
Favourite Driver: Sebastian Vettel
Favourite Team: Prodrive Racing Australia

Post by Big Azza »

My first time back here in a little while... I previously stated that I wasn't sure how much I'd be watching F1 this year, and that still remains the case. The first race of the season has crept up on me - I didn't even know that it was starting this weekend! There is an awful lot that's gone on in the off-season, had no idea Manor would be competing, and had no idea of Alonso's crash...

It also appears that an awful lot has gone on here as well. I've read a little bit of this thread, and some people are saying that this website is dying. I don't think that's the case...

I just wanted to say that when I first jumped on this website as a gawky 17 year old (unbelievable to think that was 8 years ago now), Stephen was very welcoming to me. I signed up and received a friendly pm. Our interactions were pretty brief, but he seemed like a positive guy. Maybe when Stephen stopped becoming so involved, maybe that's when things started to change?

I can't remember how I came across this site, I'm pretty sure it came in the form of spam email? I don't think I googled it. It is interesting that if you Google "Formula One Forum" this website is ranked 8th. If we wish to get more members, we need to get a little bit higher up.

This place did use to have a warm fuzzy feel, like a close knit small community. And maybe that's what's so great about this site. But people do change, their interest in F1 changes over time, or they start to get more priorities in their personal life. I know I've personally changed heaps since I was 17. I hardly have anytime for this. I used to almost view everyone on here as friends. But now I realise that there is a whole world out there and whatever happens on here is really insignificant in the stream of life.

Some people just get far too involved with this place on an emotional level, and hence get far too worked up over the goings on here.

On top of that, in order for this place to be successful we need structure. That structure comes from consistent moderating, and a rigid set of rules. The rules need to be conducive to new members joining and expressing their opinions on this wonderful sport, at the same time knowing that they won't be rubbished, belittled or name-called for their opinion. Also some people, particularly certain moderators, would post comments that blatantly disregard the spirit we were trying to create on this forum.

Some of the comments on here a year or so ago about Button and Whitmarsh would not be tolerated in society, let alone this forum. Such posts were inflammatory, created an environment that upset fans of Button and Whitmarsh, and discouraged them from participating in this forum. If Eddie Jordan or Martin Brundle said something like that, they would be taken to court. Why should we allow moderators and members of our forum get away with posting things like that?

So we really need to question what we're trying to achieve with this forum. We want to encourage new fans to join this forum, actively participate and become long term members. They will be likely running to this place after escaping from a horrible experience from another forum (face it - why else would you join a forum that's ranked 8th on Google?). For them to see certain moderators carrying on like that, and derogatory remarks being made about drivers and other fans... I don't think they'd hang around here for long. Those sorts of things should have been nipped in the bud early, but when moderators are carrying on like that, what can you do?

Or you can just keep with the current members, veterans of the site, who won't tolerate new members voicing their opinions. Eventually the numbers will keep dwindling as people's priorities change, or sagi ends up in an old folks home, or DD gets killed in some horrible pole dancing accident... :P

So we need to prepare for the future. Develop a society that's conducive to new members voicing their opinions. But filtering out the people who don't want to play nice. Pay Google some more money to boost our search rankings. Revamp the site with more features to attract new users and keep old hags like me popping in regularly.
#5 Vettel! :cloud9:
mwilliams
Banned
Favourite Driver: Mark Webber
Favourite Team: Williams

Post by mwilliams »

Unfortunately Big A - your whole post there, whilst admirable, does show you clearly have no idea what the issue here has been.

A lot of us that have left, agree with your sentiments about the whole button / whitmarsh bashing. That's not the reason we left.

It does frustrate me when long term members that have not been around to see the issues, come in and tell us how wrong we are. How we should be grateful for this site and that nothing should ever be questioned.

I wish you all the best - but clearly there IS trouble in paradise.

LRW
racechick
Missing Mod
Favourite Driver: Lewis Hamilton
Favourite Team: Mercedes AMG Petronas

Post by racechick »

Big Azza,
Like you ive been a member of this site for over 8 years and a moderator for a large portion of those years. I've tried very hard to create that welcoming and warm fuzzy feeling you describe, and to introduce new features, redesign aspects of the site, welcome new members, and post regularly . So when you say 'we' need to do these things some of us have been trying . Over the last year much good will and warm feeling has been lost, but as the previous poster said , you don't know what's been happenning. It's isnt because a moderator( I presume you mean me here) has expressed her distaste for the antics of Button and Whitmarsh, moderators can express their F1 views.
Look instead to what happens when a moderator abuses his position of power, acts dishonestly and with disregard for his colleagues and the membership in general, acts without integrity, unfairly and is abusive to others. That is when the forum begins to fail, when moderators act like this.
You can fool all the people some of the time, and some of the people all the time, but you cannot fool all the people all the time.
Abe Lincoln

Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power. Abe Lincoln
Ferrari man 009

Post by Ferrari man 009 »

I've only just decided to start posting on here again after barely even visiting during the off season. The main reason I left was because of Cookinflat i'm afraid. I understand that everyone has the right to an opinion and I respect genuine opinions. But when your point of view is dismissed because either the other person doesn't like the other team/driver or because you "are tifosi"/ support ferrari and are disrespected for it (I felt I was) then it becomes unacceptable.

I took the decision at the end of last season to have a break as it wasn't really trying to have a debate with someone who would dismiss your opinion and manipulate everything to make out that your team/driver was a cheat and there driver was an angel.

That said, I don't hold grudges and hope when Cookinflat returns we can have an honest discussion/debate where the opinions of everyone are at least respected.
scotty
Favourite Driver: My GCSE Chemistry Teacher John Driver

Post by scotty »

LewEngBridewell wrote:Hey scotty, nice avatar 8-)

Hope you're well BTW

Yeah buddy! Get involved on FB!
Rising number one of Formula 1, Juan - Juan, one wonders should Juan only win one Formula 1 one year, would Juan have won that one in round one, Juan??
sagi58
Favourite Driver: He Who Drives for Ferrari!!
Favourite Team: Scuderia Ferrari

Post by sagi58 »

Ferrari man 009 wrote:I've only just decided to start posting on here again after barely even visiting during the off season...

:wavey:
Image :wavey:
ImageAfter the agony of defeat, success will be sweet!
zurich_allan

Post by zurich_allan »

Well that escalated quickly (before vanishing!)...
Favourite racing series: F1, Indycar, NASCAR, GP2, F3, Formula E, Trophee Andros, DTM, WTCC, BTCC, World Endurance... etc. etc.
darwin dali
Forum Queen

Post by darwin dali »

Yup :thumbup:
zurich_allan

Post by zurich_allan »

I bet that diatribe really persuaded you that the original decision was wrong...

No offence, but that might have been the most childish pathetic nonsense I have ever read on any forum ever. A shame that most won't see what they contained, because it would have proven the issue once and for all.
Last edited by zurich_allan on 16 Mar 15, 12:22, edited 1 time in total.
darwin dali
Forum Queen

Post by darwin dali »

It's not deleted, just moved to a safe place for review :)
CigarGuy
Favourite Driver: Alonso/Button
Favourite Team: McLaren

Post by CigarGuy »

Why someone would want to post on a place they've been BAN is beyond my comprehension.
Speaking English as a second language