Downtime This Morning...

Make this site better with your ideas and suggestions.
What's Burning?
Banned
Favourite Driver: Lewis Hamilton, Nico Hulkenberg
Favourite Team: Porsche North America, Porsche LMP1

Re: Downtime This Morning...

Post by What's Burning? »

Shout it out with me! 255.255.255.255
"I don't want to be part of a forum where everyone has differing opinions." Boom...
racechick
Missing Mod
Favourite Driver: Lewis Hamilton
Favourite Team: Mercedes AMG Petronas

Post by racechick »

Just shouted it. Nothing happened.
You can fool all the people some of the time, and some of the people all the time, but you cannot fool all the people all the time.
Abe Lincoln

Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power. Abe Lincoln
LRW
Banned
Favourite Driver: H.A.M
Favourite Team: AMG P-Dog

Post by LRW »

racechick wrote:I really have no idea what you lot are taking about? Are those Ip numbers?

No. They are code numbers for different s*xual positions. Naughty people.
Jabberwocky
Mod
Favourite Driver: 5 Iron
Favourite Team: Williams

Post by Jabberwocky »

racechick wrote:I really have no idea what you lot are taking about? Are those Ip numbers?

Come on get with the program,

Remember their is 10 types of people, those that understand binary and those that don't.

(yes I know that is not necessarily a true statement)
A racing car that does not win, is just art
stonemonkey
Missing Mod
Favourite Driver: Bernie
Favourite Team: Connaught

Post by stonemonkey »

Jabberwocky wrote:

Remember their is 10 types of people, those that understand binary and those that don't.

01110100 01101000 01100101 01110010 01100101 00100000 01100001 01110010 01100101

Binary grammar police.
To use my phone in the car I deleted all my German contacts, it's now Hans free.
racechick
Missing Mod

Post by racechick »

Jabberwocky wrote:

I think I'm one that doesn't. So these are sexual positions in binary codes. :yikes: I only know sixty nine. I mean of the ones with numbers in the title,

And in binary I think it will have lots of ones and zeros that go on for a long time. And that's about all I know.
You can fool all the people some of the time, and some of the people all the time, but you cannot fool all the people all the time.
Abe Lincoln

Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power. Abe Lincoln
stonemonkey
Missing Mod

Post by stonemonkey »

racechick wrote:
Jabberwocky wrote:

I think I'm one that doesn't. So these are sexual positions in binary codes. :yikes: I only know sixty nine. I mean of the ones with numbers in the title,

And in binary I think it will have lots of ones and zeros that go on for a long time. And that's about all I know.

Doesn't have to go on for a long time, a binay number can have any number of digits (bits), same as a decimal number can, just instead of each digits value going up by ten it goes up by two.

1000101=69
64 + 4+1
To use my phone in the car I deleted all my German contacts, it's now Hans free.
Jabberwocky
Mod

Post by Jabberwocky »

I have 2 geeky car stories to do with non Base 10 numbering systems.

I am sure we all remember the Subaru Impreza and the top of the range 22B model.

Well why was it called the 22B? If you convert 22B from Hex into decimal it is 555.

The other story is to do with the Sierra Cosworth. When they where testing the engine they trialled it in an Automatic Ford Granada. When they where doing high speed tests the car hit 159 mph and it blow the gearbox and engine to pieces. When they looked into the problem it took them ages and a lot of testing to find out what went wrong. Prolonged runs at 155mph went fine. As soon as the cars hit 159 boom.

It turned out in the end that the gearbox controller was 8bit. So when it got to 159mph or 257kph or 100000000 in binary it could only see the last 8 digits (0000000 or 0mph) so it engaged 1st gear.
darwin dali
Forum Queen

Post by darwin dali »

stonemonkey wrote:
racechick wrote:
Jabberwocky wrote:

Doesn't have to go on for a long time, a binay number can have any number of digits (bits), same as a decimal number can, just instead of each digits value going up by ten it goes up by two.

1000101=69
64 + 4+1

From right to left: the 1 means 2^0 (2 to the power of 0) = 1; further left is a 0, so no 2^1 (which would have been 2 to be added); next is a 1, hence 2^2 which equals 4 (to be added), next three zeros, so no 2^3, no 2^4 and no 2^5; but then there's another 1 which means 2^6 which equals 64, thus 1+4+64=69 :thumbup:
Image Le coeur a ses raisons que la raison ne connaît point. Image
What's Burning?
Banned
Favourite Driver: Lewis Hamilton, Nico Hulkenberg
Favourite Team: Porsche North America, Porsche LMP1

Post by What's Burning? »

I despised geometry and algebra in school. Pythagoras could suck it as far as I was concerned. I took an astrophysics class when I was in college and math finally math became purposeful. Then in the early years of working with cellular phones, accounts on AMPS and TDMA were based on hex serial numbers and I had to learn how to think in that. Years later when I started designing networks, IP becomes the only way you think and the four octet address system becomes imprinted in your brain like counting to ten.

Now I laugh sadistically inside when my son says he hates math in school. :twisted:
"I don't want to be part of a forum where everyone has differing opinions." Boom...
racechick
Missing Mod

Post by racechick »

Maths is badly taught in schools. Boring and irrelevant and it should be creative and exciting. School ruined maths for me.
Abe Lincoln

stonemonkey
Missing Mod

Post by stonemonkey »

racechick wrote:Maths is badly taught in schools. Boring and irrelevant and it should be creative and exciting. School ruined maths for me.

There's probably not much need for using other number bases outside of certain subject like programming (particularly low level) and electronics, cant think what else but theres probably others. I use hex and binary a lot for graphics and its pretty easy to work between the two of them, decimal is pretty useless for it and a pain to work with.
Jabberwocky
Mod

Post by Jabberwocky »

Octal seems to have dies a death.

Most people's WiFi pass codes are still in Hex though.

I like to think of my age in Hex because I am still in my 20's that way
stonemonkey
Missing Mod

Post by stonemonkey »

Bytes are usually 8 bits so octal doesnt fit too well since each digit needs 3 bits.

Ooh from the wiki, native americans counted in octal because they used the spaces between their fingers rather than their fingers.
Jabberwocky
Mod

Post by Jabberwocky »

I did not know that