consolidation of topics in that's "driver/team" threads

Make this site better with your ideas and suggestions.
acosmichippo
Favourite Driver: Sabine Schmitz

consolidation of topics in that's "driver/team" threads

Post by acosmichippo »

Hello Everyone,

Over the past year or so I've noticed a big move by the admins/mods to consolidate topics into macro threads. I know it takes a lot of work to reorganize a forum, and I certainly appreciate all the effort those involved spent on the project. Normally I would not even make a public thread about this, but after the suggestion from one of the mods, I figured I'd post it here to see if anyone else feels the same way I do.

Anyway, when I first noticed these team/driver megathreads, it seemed like a great idea. But after living with it this way for a while, I have found it makes the forum much less user friendly to me. As a user who doesn't want to read every single topic about any one team or driver, it is impossible to tell what the active discussion is in the corresponding megathread by reading the thread subject line. In fact, there may even be multiple conversations going on at once in those threads. This, to me, defeats the purpose of a forum with separate threads for separate topics. If there is a discussion in one of these threads I don't care to follow anymore (Button vs Hamilton :vomit:), I cant just ignore it, since I'd miss other potentially interesting topics.

For example, this morning on the "recent topics" section, I saw the usual smattering of team/driver threads along with some other specific topics. Didn't see anything of note, so I moved on to other sites - only to see that Force India had revealed their car on twitter. Normally I would not be bothered with reading FI's dedicated megathread, but I would have certainly been interested in seeing their revealed car, especially since it was the first of the season. It's not a big deal in one instance, but when it happens for almost every piece of news about a driver/team, it gets frustrating.

With that in mind, I would prefer a move back to more focused threads with specific titles. I believe this would make it easier to view content, and also hopefully help keep threads easier to follow and on topic.
Fantasy Team
VET, BUT, DIR(T), SUT
Red Bull, Toro Rosso/Ferrari
1Lemon
Favourite Driver: The Finnish driver that actually talks
Favourite Team: Williams Grand Prix Engineering

Re: consolidation of topics in that's "driver/team" threads

Post by 1Lemon »

I see your point, maybe moving reoccurring and new interesting topics to other threads and purely keep the "That's" thread about news. I.E. moving the Hamilton Vs Button conversation into it's own dedicated thread (It may as well be at this stage) or inevitable conversations on the 2014 team order at Ferrari moved into it's own thread rather than cluttering up the That's Ferrari one.
Mark my words, Bottas will be world champion by 2020 - Me 24/11/14

"Inherently, we at Williams just want to win races. We love going motor racing, we have a real passion for it and that never diminishes." Claire Williams
Jabberwocky
Mod
Favourite Driver: 5 Iron
Favourite Team: Williams

Post by Jabberwocky »

The idea behind the mega threads was for people to share information and support that driver or team. However as we all know some people can not live with that premise and twist it into all about someone who should remain nameless.

Sent using NCC-1701
A racing car that does not win, is just art
Hammer278
Banned
Favourite Driver: The best in Formula 1.
Favourite Team: BMW DTM

Re: consolidation of topics in that's

Post by Hammer278 »

Jabberwocky wrote:....twist it into all about someone who should remain nameless.

Sent using NCC-1701

Breaking News: Lewis Hamilton has officially overtaken The Fonz in race wins. With 88 races less. Lol (Without a specially built blown diffuser, illegal front wing, preferential treatment)
What's Burning?
Banned
Favourite Driver: Lewis Hamilton, Nico Hulkenberg
Favourite Team: Porsche North America, Porsche LMP1

Post by What's Burning? »

LEWIS HAMILTON IS DA BEST, SUCK IT ALL YA'LL!
:blaster: :freezing: :ymca: :couchpotato: :mexwavebounce: :boxedin: :sonic: :shtstorm: :sheep: :party: :coffee: :duckie: :director: :hippy: :yoda: :grandad: :flasher: :beans: :sickman: :ferret: :jk: :yes:
"I don't want to be part of a forum where everyone has differing opinions." Boom...
Jabberwocky
Mod
Favourite Driver: 5 Iron
Favourite Team: Williams

Post by Jabberwocky »

I rest my case :-)

Sent using NCC-1701
A racing car that does not win, is just art
spankyham
I'm DD's eunuch
Favourite Driver: Whoever drives for Ferrari
Favourite Team: Scuderia Ferrari

Post by spankyham »

Jabberwocky wrote:I rest my case :-)

Sent using NCC-1701

As does Ali G apparently :)
"He was the fastest driver I ever saw - faster even than Fangio"
________________________- Mike Hawthorn on Alberto Ascari
1Lemon

Post by 1Lemon »

Hammer278 wrote:
Jabberwocky wrote:....twist it into all about someone who should remain nameless.

Sent using NCC-1701

I tried my best, but it just looks like a stupid tattoo

Edit: Expecting a reply akin to this:

"Inherently, we at Williams just want to win races. We love going motor racing, we have a real passion for it and that never diminishes." Claire Williams
CookinFlat6
Banned
Favourite Driver: Hamiltonian
Favourite Team: HDL

Post by CookinFlat6 »

I think we need to bear in mind that without Lewis F1 was in its way to disappearing up its own bottom

It's the same in every forum. It's all Lewis. However instead of rebel against it the sport has learnt to ride on its tail

"[Hamilton] is arguably the most commercially attractive driver on the whole grid so there will be a premium rights fee next time. He is the reason why people who may not be formula one fans are tuning in. There is a gap in the market for a young sportsman of his pulling power."

New advertisers are flocking to Formula 1 as the Lewis Hamilton effects boosts TV audiences.

Meanwhile there’s more speculation over Fernando Alonso’s future – and Rubens Barrichello’s too.

Lewis Hamilton's remarkable debut season in formula one has led ITV to almost double the cost of sponsoring its coverage to £5m a year.
2014 Monster 26x Bookie Mugger
2015, 2016 WDC: LH44
1Lemon

Post by 1Lemon »

Ok. But this topic isn't about Lewis, not all of them are, I was just continuing Hammer's joke.

I think this pretty much sums up exactly what acosmichippo and Jabber have been saying.

CookinFlat6
Banned

Post by CookinFlat6 »

1Lemon wrote:Ok. But this topic isn't about Lewis, not all of them are, I was just continuing Hammer's joke.

So you were continuing to bring Lewis into a thread about not bringing Lewis into a thread?

What would happen if Lewis were ever to find himself in the richest, best planned and best resourced team, like MS at Ferrari?

err hold on.......

:rofl: :rofl: :whip:
CookinFlat6
Banned

Post by CookinFlat6 »

My Pc liked that post so much it posted it again :hehe:
acosmichippo
Favourite Driver: Sabine Schmitz

Post by acosmichippo »

Glad to see we can have a mature discussion about the site.

f***ing ridiculous. what's the point of having moderators who don't moderate?
Fantasy Team
VET, BUT, DIR(T), SUT
Red Bull, Toro Rosso/Ferrari
sagi58
Favourite Driver: He Who Drives for Ferrari!!

Post by sagi58 »

I will go on record as saying we should try to keep the threads as "true" to the title as we can.
Sure, there will always be situations where the discussion may go off on a tangent; but, that's
when we should remind each other to stay on topic.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

By the way, in all fairness to the moderators, they are also fans and they also have opinions.

Having said that, I am sure there are a set of guidelines set up about hijacking threads, etc.,
regardless of how informal those guidelines may be. It may just be a case of enforcing them,
when things get out of hand, that is, since we're all adults.

Mind, if we were all in the same room, conversations would probably reflect what's posted here.
ImageAfter the agony of defeat, success will be sweet!
sagi58
Favourite Driver: He Who Drives for Ferrari!!

Post by sagi58 »

Personally, I think the one thing that is necessary is respect.
Respect for differences and respect for this shared communal space.
ImageAfter the agony of defeat, success will be sweet!