FORUMULA1.COM Pool for 2014

Make this site better with your ideas and suggestions.
What's Burning?
Banned
Favourite Driver: Lewis Hamilton, Nico Hulkenberg
Favourite Team: Porsche North America, Porsche LMP1

FORUMULA1.COM Pool for 2014

Post by What's Burning? »

Figured we'd start an official thread to discuss what we're going to do with the pool game going forward. I've no problem continuing to "manage" the weekends but don't have the resources to devote towards making the necessary changes for the upcoming season. We've got to discuss the hosting question, and we've had some hiccups with the email notification. It's been 95% reliable, but no one likes it when it's their picks that get missed.

I don't want to be checking for submission in two or three different places though, so let's figure this out in the next three months.
"I don't want to be part of a forum where everyone has differing opinions." Boom...
Jabberwocky
Mod
Favourite Driver: 5 Iron
Favourite Team: Williams

Re: FORUMULA1.COM Pool for 2014

Post by Jabberwocky »

SQL based PHP website, Users enter the info directly into the database.

The manager gets to log in and update race results and tidy up what people have put ie Make sure the username is the same so that automatically created championship table is correct. (so jabber, Jabber, Jabberwocky are all one entry and not 3 entries.)
A racing car that does not win, is just art
What's Burning?
Banned
Favourite Driver: Lewis Hamilton, Nico Hulkenberg
Favourite Team: Porsche North America, Porsche LMP1

Post by What's Burning? »

Jabberwocky wrote:SQL based PHP website, Users enter the info directly into the database.

The manager gets to log in and update race results and tidy up what people have put ie Make sure the username is the same so that automatically created championship table is correct. (so jabber, Jabber, Jabberwocky are all one entry and not 3 entries.)

I don't like that part! Can't is simply be as easy as the manager enters the user the first time they play and then subsequently the user pick's their name from the drop down?

Not like anyone here would stoop as low. :twisted: :hehe: but even in error you could pick somoene's name and place their picks for them, you know... Chilton to podium. Can it be associated with the forum ID so that they'd have to log into the forum and the user name would be auto populated from there?
"I don't want to be part of a forum where everyone has differing opinions." Boom...
Jabberwocky
Mod

Post by Jabberwocky »

in theory you could, but I do not know enough about the back office workings of the forum software. Chat gleens the info from the site so it must be possible.
Nin-Chin
Favourite Driver: Lewis Hamilton
Favourite Team: Mercedes AMG Petronas

Post by Nin-Chin »

I have finally got over losing the title, however I know that I have taken huge trides over the course of the season and I look forward to coming back on a high in 2014.
A fan of many forms of motorsport. Also made the first post in 2014 on this forum.
Hammer278
Banned
Favourite Driver: The best in Formula 1.
Favourite Team: BMW DTM

Post by Hammer278 »

Nin-Chin wrote:I have finally got over losing the title, however I know that I have taken huge trides over the course of the season and I look forward to coming back on a high in 2014.

Hopefully you and the rest of us are able to 'come back'....it depends if we get the pool sorted. Do you see the brainstorming before your post? :hehe:

Sorry I can't contribute guys....my IT skills are limited to Office, and surfing the web. Why don't you approach the admins for help, it'd move a lot faster I'd think.
Breaking News: Lewis Hamilton has officially overtaken The Fonz in race wins. With 88 races less. Lol (Without a specially built blown diffuser, illegal front wing, preferential treatment)
Jabberwocky
Mod

Post by Jabberwocky »

Maybe we could spice it up a bit. If you put your picks in before qualifying you score points for that as well

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk
LRW
Banned
Favourite Driver: H.A.M
Favourite Team: AMG P-Dog

Post by LRW »

have we tried turning it off and on again?
LRW
Banned
Favourite Driver: H.A.M
Favourite Team: AMG P-Dog

Post by LRW »

Jabberwocky wrote:Maybe we could spice it up a bit. If you put your picks in before qualifying you score points for that as well

And do some season bonus points, for guessing the top 10 WDC standings at the beginning of the season? 25 or 50 points for each drivers final table position guessed correct?
Jabberwocky
Mod

Post by Jabberwocky »

LRW wrote:have we tried turning it off and on again?

yes twice. We have also pressed Print about 50 times so when it does work all hell will break loose.
1Lemon
Favourite Driver: The Finnish driver that actually talks
Favourite Team: Williams Grand Prix Engineering

Post by 1Lemon »

Jiggle the cables
Mark my words, Bottas will be world champion by 2020 - Me 24/11/14

"Inherently, we at Williams just want to win races. We love going motor racing, we have a real passion for it and that never diminishes." Claire Williams
Jabberwocky
Mod

Post by Jabberwocky »

Checked bulbs and fuses

Hammer278
Banned
Favourite Driver: The best in Formula 1.
Favourite Team: BMW DTM

Post by Hammer278 »

Give the thing a couple of swift kicks.....it works for me when my modem is unstable.
Breaking News: Lewis Hamilton has officially overtaken The Fonz in race wins. With 88 races less. Lol (Without a specially built blown diffuser, illegal front wing, preferential treatment)
racechick
Missing Mod
Favourite Driver: Lewis Hamilton
Favourite Team: Mercedes AMG Petronas

Post by racechick »

I am so sorry on this but I wouldn't have a clue. It would all get very messy ( just ask Myown!) I will have to contribute in other ways, less techie :(
You can fool all the people some of the time, and some of the people all the time, but you cannot fool all the people all the time.
Abe Lincoln

Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power. Abe Lincoln
1Lemon
Favourite Driver: The Finnish driver that actually talks
Favourite Team: Williams Grand Prix Engineering

Post by 1Lemon »

racechick wrote:I am so sorry on this but I wouldn't have a clue. It would all get very messy ( just ask Myown!) I will have to contribute in other ways, less techie :(

Damn, we were all expecting you to write a PHP implementation calling a rest API with a direct MySQL connection. :wink:
Mark my words, Bottas will be world champion by 2020 - Me 24/11/14

"Inherently, we at Williams just want to win races. We love going motor racing, we have a real passion for it and that never diminishes." Claire Williams