FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Just as it says...
I see this as pointless... it looks ok, cool maybe even, but actually adding something of value to the experience, I'm not sold on it. It's also a PITA for those of us with glasses... I'm not running out to buy a new TV just for the 3D capabilities, but it would be interesting to hear other people's opinions esp if you've got one.

This on the other hand, I'd pay money for, and when not watching 21:9 content, I could watch two channels simultaneously!

Vizio actually teased a 21:9 TV at last year's CES, and one year later it's ready to deliver: the Vizio Cinema HDTV LED LCD is here. The TV handles a 2560 x 1080 resolution in a 21:9 aspect ratio, just like that 21:9 Philips display we've been drooling over for the past couple of years, and comes in 50-inch and 58-inch flavors. Details are still pretty scarce, since all we have right now is a teaser page, but we doubt there's much more going on here. Basically, ultra-wide CinemaScope-style movies on a set that will likely be much cheaper than Philips' offering -- and more likely to show up at your local Costco. We look forward to the full announcement later this week. Also: buying one.
Personally I don't see the point of 3DTV's at this time, I have experienced it instore and I wasn't that impressed really, maybe it'll be worthwhile when they come down in price, for now I'm happy with my 40in LCD, any bigger would be too big for our living room, plus with young kids, anything too expensive is a bad idea!
For people who wear glasses you can get clip ons:

http://www.apioptics.com/3d-glasses.html

Not suitable for systems that use shutter glasses though, only TVs that use polarised systems and Real3D cinema.

I've not seen anything on the 3D TVs yet but I have watched a couple of movies that use anaglyph (coloured lenses) and while the colour's a bit screwed up I do like the depth to the scenes it gives when done well. Avoid any of the fake 3D movies shot in 2D then converted (clash of the titans/piranha etc.) it's crap.
I've also seen it instore and wasn't very impressed at all.There is no way I would wear those stupid glasses in my living room either.
For me it's a non starter until it improves ten fold.I'm happy with HD.
And the answer is... no.

At least until they can invent a system that works without having to wear 3D glasses, the 3D glasses themselves aren't that comfortable to wear for a 2hr movie. I also wear eye glasses so that is a problem too, luckily my eyesight isn't that bad; I can see upto six feet in relative clarity!
And the answer is... no.

At least until they can invent a system that works without having to wear 3D glasses, the 3D glasses themselves aren't that comfortable to wear for a 2hr movie. I also wear eye glasses so that is a problem too, luckily my eyesight isn't that bad; I can see upto six feet in relative clarity!

If the supplied glasses at cinemas are uncomfortable and/or you wear eyeglasses there are alternatives, see my previous post.
And the answer is... no.

Nintendo are making a new DS that will display 3D without the need to wear glasses.

http://e3.nintendo.com/3ds/
Do not, I repeat DO NOT spend money on Glasses 3D Equipment. 3D in general is unlikely to survive four more years, because it costs too much without sufficient improvement to the experience. And even if it does, 3D which requires glasses will be outmoded within 1-2 years. Personally, the only 3D device I ever plan to buy in the Nintendo 3DS, because 3D Television is not something I ever plan on thinking is anything less than pointless. I can just about put up with 3D films, but TV...Please. TV is too good to require such gimmicks.

21:9, however, is awesome full stop. I cannot stress enough how cool 21:9 is :thumbup:
I don't see glassesless 3D on flatscreen happening, at least not working well for more than one person viewing (would be cool if they could but I doubt it) which to me is more of a downside than having to wear glasses and only of use for personal gaming or advertising screens.
I agree that the shutter glasses and the cheaply produced cinema glasses as they are now are not ideal, especially if you need eyeglasses but that could become a complete non-issue to glasses wearers if lens manufacturers manage to incorporate polarising or dolby filters into eyeglasses.
As for content, as well as movies I think things like nature documetaries and sports and other live events like concerts would benefit from being in 3D along with gaming.
I don't see glassesless 3D on flatscreen happening, at least not working well for more than one person viewing (would be cool if they could but I doubt it) which to me is more of a downside than having to wear glasses and only of use for personal gaming or advertising screens.
I agree that the shutter glasses and the cheaply produced cinema glasses as they are now are not ideal, especially if you need eyeglasses but that could become a complete non-issue to glasses wearers if lens manufacturers manage to incorporate polarising or dolby filters into eyeglasses.
As for content, as well as movies I think things like nature documetaries and sports and other live events like concerts would benefit from being in 3D along with gaming.

Sony confirmed at their CES Press Conference they have Glassesless 3D TVs in the pipeline.
My mate works for a digital tv company and he is mr gadget and he is not bothering with 3d TV as he is holding out for Holographic TV that is about 18 months away.

Help me Obi Wan Kenobi, you're my only hope.

See our F1 related articles too!