FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Just as it says...
By sagi58
I know people shouldnt be intimidated by or let the actions of terrorists disrupt how they go about their daily business but is this really such a good idea?

http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-30765824

Not sure if it's a good idea; but, I do believe that only in retrospect will we be able to determine that.
If the rallies proceed without incident, then it was a good way to show solidarity; but, if anyone is hurt,
if any property is damaged, if there are any incidents, then maybe it wasn't such a good idea.
By racechick
I think it is a good idea. France is a secular state where free speech is allowed . This demonstration was a massive voice of the French people saying they will stand up for those rights and not be bullied by terrorists. I'm glad that magazine is still printing.
By stonemonkey
I know people shouldnt be intimidated by or let the actions of terrorists disrupt how they go about their daily business but is this really such a good idea?

http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-30765824

Not sure if it's a good idea; but, I do believe that only in retrospect will we be able to determine that.
If the rallies proceed without incident, then it was a good way to show solidarity; but, if anyone is hurt,
if anralloperty is damaged, if there are any incidents, then maybe it wasn't such a good idea.

I was thinking of terrorist attacks from the past, on 9/11 they had pretty much the whole world watching live when they crashed into the 2nd tower, in an attack in Ireland, a bomb threat was called in at one end of a town and everyone was evacuated to the other end, where the bomb really was. Terrorists want to shock and i think an event like that would be a huge target for them. I know you have to get on with things and not live if fear of what might happen but I think the rally could've been seen as provocation to some on the other side.
By sagi58
...I know you have to get on with things and not live if fear of what might happen but I think the rally could've been seen as provocation to some on the other side.

Completely agree with you; however, where is that fine line drawn?
By RyRy
I asked a friend who's a Muslim what her and her family thought about the whole thing just to see if the Muhammad cartoons offended everyone like how it's offended the extremists.

Her reply was yes they didn't find it very tasteful but it's only a cartoon, it's no harm to anyone and people can have their opinions and beliefs but they should not in any way ever be harmed.

"The way it should be seen is: If you don't like it then don't read/look at/buy it"

She admitted that now she feels even more anxious walking along in town because she's a Muslim even though she hasn't done anything wrong and would never do something like that let alone support it.

I completely feel for the non extremist Muslims as they just get more and more and more bad press and reasons for other people to hate them.
By racechick
I agree, but I think more and more people from all spheres are separating Muslims from radical terrorists.

See our F1 related articles too!