FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Just as it says...
By racechick
A couple of good responses here on Twitter to the terrorist attacks in France, this one from Stephen Fry

https://twitter.com/stephenfry/status/5 ... 5017617408

And this one

https://twitter.com/lukelesage/status/5 ... 7157570561

I think the French intelligence made some serious errors over this. These guys were know to them , had been in prison, involved in training others, linked to the shoe bomber, been trained and fought for ISIS, banned from entering the UK.

But the French forces dealt with it well. Swiftly and with minimum casualties.

What annoys me are the clerics who start iffing and butting. There are no ifs and buts to terrorism.

( did you get the coverage of this overseas?)
By racechick
What do you mean surrendered?
By Jabberwocky
I was just pointing out that the French have historically surrendered at the 1st sign of trouble.

As horrible as what has happened in France I have noticed something positive, a lot of the usual cack on Facebook/Public opinion has turned from being anti Muslim to anti Muslim extremists. I am sure that is of little consolation to the families of those that have died though.
By stonemonkey
My understanding is that the French are pretty bad arsed when it comes to elite/special forces.

Just had a google to see if theres any sort of comparisons of different countries special forces, didnt find anything but found this:

http://wonderfulengineering.com/most-da ... oks-today/

Everyone has guns except the chinese, they have swords and horses and for some reason the Iranian special forces are expecting arctic conditions. The Germans are trained to fight deadly jellyfish and the South Korean special forces might be women. I do like the peruvian style though.

Anyway, these terrorists, why are they offered the luxury of human rights and freedom, both being things they are fighting against and want to take away from the civilised world by exploiting those very things.
By sagi58
...( did you get the coverage of this overseas?)

Of course! And, a lot of it was "live"!
====================================================

Regardless of how France has reacted historically, I am very impressed in how quickly they were able to resolve this.
Just as I was impressed with how quickly we reacted to the attacks in Ottawa a few months ago.

Terrorism is not acceptable. Regardless of the form it takes.
It is one of those things where you have to fight fire with fire.
By CigarGuy
My understanding is that the French are pretty bad arsed when it comes to elite/special forces.

Just had a google to see if theres any sort of comparisons of different countries special forces, didnt find anything but found this:

http://wonderfulengineering.com/most-da ... oks-today/

Everyone has guns except the chinese, they have swords and horses and for some reason the Iranian special forces are expecting arctic conditions. The Germans are trained to fight deadly jellyfish and the South Korean special forces might be women. I do like the peruvian style though.

Anyway, these terrorists, why are they offered the luxury of human rights and freedom, both being things they are fighting against and want to take away from the civilised world by exploiting those very things.

My "data" was from an Israeli Defense Force soldier who seems like he knows that kinda stuff in fighting the terrorist threats.
By CigarGuy
...( did you get the coverage of this overseas?)

Of course! And, a lot of it was "live"!
====================================================

Regardless of how France has reacted historically, I am very impressed in how quickly they were able to resolve this.
Just as I was impressed with how quickly we reacted to the attacks in Ottawa a few months ago.

Terrorism is not acceptable. Regardless of the form it takes.
It is one of those things where you have to fight fire with fire.

Preach to me, sistah!
By Jabberwocky
I think most developed countries have special forces that are formidable. It just needs events like the Iranian embassy to bring the units for the for front of the public eye.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk
By racechick
France remains on high terrorist alert. I'm wondering if it will take longer getting through the tunnel with checks and things? I go through on Thursday morning. It's the sort of thing terrorists might target for mass distpruption and killing. gulp!
By Jabberwocky
I don't think that JTAC has assessed the UK down from a quite higherned level of alert since the middle of last year.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk
One of the things I found during all the talking head interviews we've gas during all this, in the 90s the French foiled a plan to fly a plane into the Eiffel Tower.

See our F1 related articles too!