FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Just as it says...
Then you would need someone to monitor the person monitoring the teachers

Nah - I think software and checkable logs and audit trials should do the trick. Say each month the teachers activities on the system are published, then it would be obvious that the girls were monitored more than the boys or that teacher A spent 3x monitoring one particular kid more than others

Technology moves forward and we are learning to embrace it and make it work for us rather than burying our heads in the sand and focusing on its drawbacks and yearning for the 'good old days' of blackboards and chalk and corporal punishment :rolleyes:
By sagi58
Namely, the teacher has full access to everything the kids are doing on their mobile devices

What! Maybe i'm not quite getting it but in the wrong hands couldnt that be used so the wrong way?

Edit: Just looked it up and it can give access to whats on their screen, their emails and other social medua use. I can understand parents having that kind of access but i would definitely not want anyone else to have that kind of access if i had kids.

Not sure what the rules and regulations are in the UK; but, in our school board, the student and the parent sign a "contract" acknowledging that any technology used in the classroom or for classroom work/assignments must follow pretty strict guidelines/expectations. Consequences are clearly outlined.
By sagi58
...Is there anyone monitoring the teachers?

We too are regulated. And, not only by the school boards we work for;
but, also by our own Provincial Associations, as anyone caught using the
networks inappropriately can and will be sanctioned.

Obviously, there will be cases where anyone can get around anything;
but, when they are found out, the consequences aren't pretty and may
end up in legal action/imprisonment.
By racechick
Yep RC, but that confidential information doesn't say what kids are going to be doing that evening or weekend, where and when they're going somewhere and who with or what personal problems they're having or anything else going on in their lives at that moment which could easily be in a personal email and if just one wrong person had access to that sort of information it would be extremely dangerous in my opinion.
I know teachers are in a position of trust and thats not a problem for the vast majority but when i was at school there were 2 teachers sacked for inappropriate behaviour towards girls in my class, they'd been teaching there for years and it wasn't separate incidents, they were acting together and i dont think it's much of a stretch of the imagination to think that had they had access to such a system that they'd have made as much use of the information available as they could. So i wouldn't want my kids communicating anything other than purely schoolwork over such a network and not to do anything like just checking their emails or messages or anything on it, the problem there being that most of the time kids will have limited or expensive data plans on their own mobile devices and would prefer to use an available network.

Is there anyone monitoring the teachers?

The confidential information teachers have regarding their students does contain sensitive information concerning problems the student may be having ...very much so. Teachers are Involved in case conferences involving vulnerable children. Sadly you are right, there are some people in positions of trust that will abuse that position, but it's the overwhelming minority, whilst the overwhelming majority of children are protected.
The children shouldn't be communicating anything at school other than school related work... Which is what the monitoring will check. The children at my school ( primary) had emails set up at school to talk to peers and contact teachers regarding projects they were working on, it was different from their home emails . I used it to work with the gifted and talented kids to run a school magazine.
gives a new meaning to the concept of teachers pet

an apple a day? ' I cracked *censored* site sir, you no longer need your credit card' :hehe:
Yep RC, but that confidential information doesn't say what kids are going monitoredng that evening or weekend, where and when they're going somewhere and who with or what personal problems they're having or anything else going on in their lives at that moment which could easily be in a personal email and if just one wrong person had access to that sort of information it would be extremely dangerous in my opinion.
I know teachers are in a position of trust and thats not a problem for the vast majority but when i was at school there were 2 teachers sacked for inappropriate behaviour towards girls in my class, they'd been teaching there for years and it wasn't separate incidents, they were acting together and i dont think it's much of a stretch of the imagination to think that had they had access to such a system that they'd have made as much use of the information available as they could. So i wouldn't want my kids communicating anything other than purely schoolwork over such a network and not to do anything like just checking their emails or messages or anything on it, the problem there being that most of the time kids will have limited or expensive data plans on their own mobile devices and would prefer to use an available network.

Is there anyone monitoring the teachers?

The confidential information teachers have regarding their students does contain sensitive information concerning problems the student may be having ...very much so. Teachers are Involved in case conferences involving vulnerable children. Sadly you are right, there are some people in positions of trust that will abuse that position, but it's the overwhelming minority, whilst the overwhelming majority of children are protected.
The children shouldn't be communicating anything at school other than school related work... Which is what the monitoring will check. The children at my school ( primary) had emails set up at school to talk to peers and contact teachers regarding projects they were working on, it was different from their home emails . I used it to work with the gifted and talented kids to run a school magazine.

Ah ok, i was kind of under the impression that they could be using it for other things but that that use would be monitored.
Ah ok, i was kind of under the impression that they could be using it for other things but that that use would be monitored.

In this threads previous pages the original debate was that they would be using other laptops for other things and that use would be monitored by parents - unless ofcourse we can persuade parents that this type of software is breaching "issues of trust" and "privacy" and that we need the childs '"buy in'" and ""signed responsibility transfer contracts"" otherwise we would be creating lifelong pschological ""issues"" and so we have to worry about about exactly when we can use this type of stuff and only after informing the child in the first place, otherwise............

Oh yeah, and we should worry less about online privacy and content access concerns involved with these social web 3.0 affairs and focus on worrying about the kid developing ""privacy breach bias"" due to covert monitoring

But its best not to rock any boats so all our sensitive members can avoid being forced to read contentious issues
By sagi58
... The children at my school ( primary) had emails set up at school to talk to peers and contact teachers regarding projects they were working on, it was different from their home emails . I used it to work with the gifted and talented kids to run a school magazine.

Great idea, RC! Our intermediate grades created yearbooks on a DVD for the graduating class.
Together with my grade partners and a Resource Teacher, we have been working on different things,
using the technology available to us. We've used Bitstrips for Writing and Visual Arts assignments and,
this year, the focus is on Math Prodigy.

See our F1 related articles too!