FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Just as it says...
I gain my inspiration for waking up early everyday knowing there are loads of chicks out there I have yet to....meet.

But in the spirit of the thread, here goes:

Tis better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.
Abraham Lincoln (1809-1865)

Anyone would think you were trying to say something there... ;)
Most of the quotes I really like are connected to how children learn. I teach children outside in the woods (forest schools) and use some of these quoes when giving talks to parents..........

Do not try to satisfy your vanity by teaching

a great many things. Awaken people’s curiosity.

It is enough to open minds, do not overload them.

Put there just a spark. If there is some good flammable

stuff, it will catch fire.

- Anatole France
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Risk, there is no real living without it.

Die we all must, but try to knock all risk

out of our lives and we lock ourselves

tighter and tighter into a safe,

comfortable, deadly box, and we die too,

without ever having lived.

- Alex Noble

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"They may forget what you said but they will

never forget how you made them feel."

- Carol Buchner

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Much education today is monumentally

ineffective. All too often we are giving

young people cut flowers when we should

be teaching them to grow their own plants."

-- John Gardner

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When all the dangerous cliffs are fenced off,

all the trees that might fall on people are cut

down, all of the insects that bite are poisoned...

and all of the grizzlies are dead because they

are occasionally dangerous, the wilderness

will not be made safe. Rather, the safety will

have destroyed the wilderness.

~ R. Yorke Edwards

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Must we always teach our children with books?

Let them look at the mountains and the stars up above.

Let them look at the beauty of the waters and the trees

and flowers on earth. They will then begin to think,

and to think is the beginning of a real education.

- David Polis

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rest is not idleness, and to lie

sometimes on the grass under

trees on a summer's day,

listening to the murmur of the water,

or watching the clouds float across

the sky is by no means a waste of time.

- J. Lubbuck

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thats just a few I like.
I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand.

Confucius

And on that you can base the whole way we ought to teach children!
Exactly the same principal.
Teachers often think the more they can 'talk' at their pupils, the more their pupils will learn. big fail. That not when real quality learning takes place.

This is a good one, can't remember who said it....

We spend the first year of a child's life teaching them to walk and talk, and the rest telling them to sit down and shut up.
The best lesson I remember having was an instructor walked into the room with a rubber ball. Threw it at the wall and caught it a few times. Moved closer to the wall. Threw and caught the ball a few more times. Turned to the class and said "That is how RADAR works, think about it and I will come back in 15 minutes and we will discuss it."
He then walked out of the room
Excellent.
The best lesson I remember having was an instructor walked into the room with a rubber ball. Threw it at the wall and caught it a few times. Moved closer to the wall. Threw and caught the ball a few more times. Turned to the class and said "That is how RADAR works, think about it and I will come back in 15 minutes and we will discuss it."

Simply for the sake of keeping my tenuous faith on humanity alive, tell me no one took the use of a rubber ball as a literal example.

Simply for the sake of keeping my tenuous faith on humanity alive, tell me no one took the use of a rubber ball as a literal example.

That reminds of a story, I must tell you this!

I was in secondary school and we had the customary s e x education talks and this one was on STD's or VD as it was called back in the day. We were told about the different sorts, how to avoid it, how to recognise symptoms, what to do about it etc etc , and to illustrate how easy it was to contract it , we were shown a little cartoon . One cartoon person had an STd and to show this his/her arm was flashing red. As this character walked through a crowd of people other arms began to flash red as they caught an STD.
At the end of the lesson the teacher asked how you would recognise if you had an STD and one girl put her hand up and Said completely seriously ' your arm starts flashing'. :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl: now I was pretty naive about all things sexual but even I knew she'd not quite grasped this.

That reminds of a story, I must tell you this!

I was in secondary school and we had the customary s e x education talks and this one was on STD's or VD as it was called back in the day. We were told about the different sorts, how to avoid it, how to recognise symptoms, what to do about it etc etc , and to illustrate how easy it was to contract it , we were shown a little cartoon . One cartoon person had an STd and to show this his/her arm was flashing red. As this character walked through a crowd of people other arms began to flash red as they caught an STD.
At the end of the lesson the teacher asked how you would recognise if you had an STD and one girl put her hand up and Said completely seriously ' your arm starts flashing'. :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl: now I was pretty naive about all things sexual but even I knew she'd not quite grasped this.

Although I have to admit, it woudl make Hammer's life a lot easier as to which girl to approach at a bar.

Didn't any one ask him if he had to sweep his arm at the same rate each throw? Wouldnt want any of you boys servicing my set

See our F1 related articles too!