FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Just as it says...
By sagi58
Just read about the Bertuzzi/Moore settlement and looked for a place to post the link.
There wasn't one, so I figured I'd start a new thread.
By sagi58
Wow! I remember this incident so very clearly!!

Here's a video reminder:

[youtube]zSWRxppX81E[/youtube]

Here's today's news:

wrote:">Settlement reached in Moore-Bertuzzi suit

TORONTO - A settlement has been reached in Steve Moore's lawsuit against NHL forward Todd Bertuzzi, more than 10 years after the infamous on-ice attack ended Moore's career.

Geoff Adair, a lawyer for Bertuzzi, confirmed the case has been "settled in its totality" but said the terms are confidential...

The notorious hit happened on March 8, 2004. Bertuzzi, then playing for the Vancouver Canucks, hit Moore from behind, sending the hapless Colorado Avalanche rookie crashing face-first to the ice and leaving him with a concussion and fractured vertebrae.

Moore alleges the Canucks had put a bounty on his head following his check that left their captain Markus Naslund injured. Bertuzzi pleaded guilty to criminal assault causing bodily harm for the hit and was sentenced in 2006 to one year probation and 80 hours of community service...

Moore, now 35, never fully recovered from his injuries and was unable to continue his career...

Moore said in the March interview, just a day before the 10th anniversary of the incident, that the lawsuit was not so much about the money as being compensated for the loss of his dreams...
By racechick
I've not heard of this incident before. ice hockey isn't something I follow though there is a team in Nottingham and Sheffield. I know people who go regularly to watch.
By sagi58
As a Canadian, hockey is the sport you are introduced to as soon as you can walk, let alone skate.
It's a fascinating game. Especially at the younger levels where the players are there "just" to play.
By sagi58
This is probably one of the most famous goals in the history of hockey:

[youtube]RXxEBTaTf5Q[/youtube]

I remember being glued to the TV set for each of the seven games
Canada played against the USSR!!
By sagi58
To paraphrase an old Red Rose tea ad, namely:

Not in Canada, I say!! Pity!! :hehe:
By darwin dali
Ladies discussing hockey - where are the guys? :scratchchin:

Flower arranging.

Aww, so sweet :)
By sagi58
Gordie Howe 'not doing well at all' in recovery from stroke, says son

'If we're not going to be able to reduce his pain, the outcome is not going to be good,' says Mark Howe

Gordie Howe is "not doing well at all" several weeks after suffering a stroke, according to his son Mark.

The Hall of Famer known as "Mr. Hockey" had initially been improving better than expected, but that changed recently.

"His health has taken a turn for the worse this past week to 10 days and we are doing what we can to help his situation the best that we can," Mark told The Canadian Press. "But he is not doing well at all is the bottom line."

Gordie Howe, 86, had a stroke Oct. 26 while visiting his daughter in Lubbock, Texas. His family released a statement Nov. 4 saying the hockey legend was "recovering at a remarkable rate."

News began to surface this weekend indicating that was no longer the case. In an interview with "The Hockey News," Mark Howe said his father's situation was "headed in the wrong direction."

"As a family, if we're not going to be able to reduce his pain, the outcome is not going to be good," Howe told THN.

[youtube]j4vCA_eyYUg[/youtube]

Howe is considered one of the greatest players in hockey history. His professional career spanned five decades, most notably with the NHL's Detroit Red Wings. He played 25 seasons with the Red Wings, making his debut on Oct. 16, 1946, and led them to four Stanley Cup titles.

Howe left the Red Wings to join the World Hockey Association's Houston Aeros for the 1973-74 season, and played six seasons in the now-defunct league before returning to the NHL for one final season with the Hartford Whalers in 1979-80.

He played in one more professional game, taking a shift with the IHL's Detroit Vipers in 1997.

Howe played 1,767 regular-season NHL games, scoring 801 goals and adding 1,049 assists for 1,850 points. Known for toughness as much as scoring in his playing days, he also amassed 1,685 penalty minutes.

He had 508 points (174 goals, 334 assists) in 419 WHA regular-season games.

By sagi58
I should have posted this earlier; but, Life has a way of interfering with plans!

Thoughts and prayers to your family, Mr. Quinn!! Rest in peace!!

wrote:">Former Maple Leafs coach Pat Quinn dies at 71

The hockey world has lost a great one.

Pat Quinn, a former NHL player and head coach, died Sunday night at Vancouver General Hospital, the Vancouver Giants and Hockey Hall of Fame announced. He was 71.

“Words cannot express the pain we all feel today for the Quinn family,” Giants majority owner Ron Toigo. “Pat was an inspiration to all of us. He always said that respect was something that should be earned, not given, and the respect that he garnered throughout the hockey world speaks for itself. He will be sorely missed.”.........

By sagi58
Canadiens legend Jean Beliveau dies at 83

Montreal Canadiens legend Jean Beliveau has died at the age of 83, the Canadiens announced Tuesday.

© Christinne Muschi / Reuters
'Le Gros Bill' is survived by his wife Elise and his daughter Helene.

Famous for answering every piece of fan mail he ever received, Beliveau suffered from multiple health issues over the past 20 years. He was hospitalized for cardiac problems in 1996, and was treated for a neck tumor in 2000. He was hospitalized twice in recent years following strokes, and was hospitalized with pneumonia this past summer.

Beliveau played 20 seasons with the Canadiens, scoring 507 goals and 1,219 points in 1,125 NHL games. He was a 14-time All-Star and a two-time Hart Trophy winner.

He won the Art Ross in 1956 and the Conn Smythe Trophy in 1965 (the first time it was awarded).

A dominant 6-foot-3, 205-pound center that wouldn't have looked out of place in the modern game, Beliveau and Saku Koivu share the record as Montreal's longest-serving captains. Beliveau's name appears on the Stanley Cup 10 times as as a player and seven times as an executive.

His 17 appearances on the Stanley Cup are an NHL record.

By sagi58
Public visitation to give fans a chance to say good-bye!
I'm pretty certain his number was retired in the early '70s.

wrote:">Jean Béliveau visitation begins at the Bell Centre

Members of the public are invited to pay tribute to former Montreal Canadiens captain Jean Béliveau at the Bell Centre in Montreal on Sunday and Monday, where his body will lie in state...

...He will have what the Quebec government calls a "national funeral," to be celebrated Wednesday at the Mary Queen of the World Cathedral in Montreal.

A bronze statue of the Béliveau has been on display in front of the Bell Centre main entrance since Wednesday.

'My idol, my captain'

More tributes poured in Sunday for the man who meant so much to many Canadians.

Béliveau was Yvan Cournoyer's first captain on the Montreal Canadiens. He went to the Bell Centre early Sunday morning to pay his respects.

"The week was so hard," he told Radio-Canada. "I hope people will come see my captain, he deserves it.

"Jean was my idol and my captain."

Paul Toutounji is one of thousands who spent the morning in line at the Bell Centre. He said Béliveau was a role model who united people in all he did.

"He was leading by example all the time," said Toutounji.

He said he finds inspiration in Béliveau's memory, adding that Béliveau makes him a better person in his day-to-day life.

"For me, it was a priority to come today," said Tatounji.

Tribute in Quebec City

Quebec City Mayor Régis Labeaume has proposed renaming Coliseum Avenue in honour of Jean Béliveau, who played for the Quebec Aces in the 1950s.

The Coliseum in Quebec City has also opened its doors to the public, for the signing of a book of condolences.

The book will be available again on Sunday and Monday, before being presented to the Béliveau family.

On Saturday, workers at the Coliseum unfurled a huge banner on the arena's south facade to pay tribute to Jean Béliveau.
By sagi58
:mexwavebounce::mexwavebounce:
 wrote:">World Juniors: Canada holds off Russia to win gold

The sweetest sound was the final buzzer.

Canada built a four-goal lead on Russia and could taste gold at the world junior championship. What followed was a harrowing struggle just to hold on.

"We didn't panic or certainly tried not to panic," Sam Reinhart said.

There were moments of panic, but by the time Monday night was over, gold medals were hanging around the players' necks and they sang along with "O Canada" while locking arms on the blue-line on home ice at Air Canada Centre after a thrilling 5-4 victory over Russia.

It wasn't easy, but Canada's world junior gold-medal drought that dated to 2009 was no more.

"We're world junior champions, we're world champions. It's joy," Connor McDavid said. "We were never really under pressure. The media and all the fans might've been putting that pressure on us, but we were just able to brush it off. Right now this is just absolute joy."

Joy was heightened by the emotional twists and turns of this gold-medal game, another classic in the passionate rivalry between Canada and Russia that began with the 1972 Summit Series. This will go down as another unforgettable piece of Canada-Russia history...

...The closeness of this group of 23 players aged 17 to 19 was never more evident than in the post-game ceremony when Lazar skated over to injured teammate Robby Fabbri and handed him the trophy. Fabbri was lost for the rest of the tournament with a high ankle sprain in the quarter-finals.

"We all told each other and we locked our arms and we said we're doing this for Fabbs," Domi said.

By the time it was over, this group made it clear they did this for the country, Hockey Canada, the fans but also for each other. That was part of the joy of victory.

"At the end, I mean, it's a game," Lazar said. "It's a game we love, the fans love it, we love it, the refs love it, and we're all out here having fun."

:jump::jump::jump::jump::jump:
By sagi58
Carol Schram, The Canadian Press  wrote:">Canada wins World Championship gold in 6-1 victory over Russia

PRAGUE, Czech Republic -- Team Canada was perfect in Prague, capping an outstanding run at the world hockey championship with a dominant win over its archrival.

After five straight years of quarter-final defeats, the Canadians are heading home with world championship gold medals for the first time since 2007 after a 6-1 thrashing of defending champion Russia on Sunday at O2 Arena.

Arguably the deepest team in a tournament rich with big-name stars, the Canadians ran the table in 2015 with a perfect 10-0 record.

"Our guys really wanted to win -- they really did," said coach Todd McLellan.

"I thought that we got a little extra motivation from the Russian team today," said McLellan. "Their staredown in the warmup was just exactly what our team needed. We talked about which staredown would be more important -- the one before the game or the one after. We decided the one after would be more important so we appreciated the motivation."

Sidney Crosby, Tyler Ennis, Cody Eakin and Claude Giroux paced the Canadian attack with a goal and an assist each. Tyler Seguin and Nathan MacKinnon also scored.

Crosby finished the tournament with 11 points and became just the eighth Canadian player to join the Triple Gold Club, adding his world championship win to Olympic gold medals in 2010 and 2014 and his 2009 Stanley Cup.

"It's a great honour," said Crosby of the achievement. "I've been fortunate to play for some great teams. You know sometimes you just need some luck. I feel fortunate to be a part of it and it's a privilege that we could do this as a group."

Crosby was quick to share the tournament win with his teammates.

"That was really the story for the whole tournament. Everyone contributed, every line, both offensively and defensively," said Crosby. "We had some guys did a great job on the penalty kill. Smitty (Mike Smith) was awesome in net. It was a total team effort."

Evgeni Malkin had the only goal for Russia, and star forward Alex Ovechkin was held off the scoresheet.

All tournament long, Canada relied on a potent and balanced scoring attack. On Sunday, the fourth line set the tone for the win.

When Canada took a 4-0 lead at the 9:02 mark of the second period, the Russians took a time out in an attempt to regroup, still looking for their first shot on goal in the period.

But Canada's dominance was absolute. Giroux, on the power play, and MacKinnon added insurance goals in the third period to lock down Canada's first win in history over the Russians in a world championship gold-medal game-and by the biggest margin of victory ever surrendered by the Russians.

Smith's bid for a third-consecutive shutout was foiled when Malkin scored Russia's only goal with 7:13 remaining in the third period. Shots on goal were 37-12 for Canada in the game.

Strong at both ends of the ice, Canada's 66 goals scored set a new Canadian tournament record.

In the bronze-medal game played earlier on Sunday, forward Nick Bonino of the Vancouver Canucks had a goal and an assist as the United States shut out the host team from the Czech Republic by a score of 3-0. The last medal for the United States was also a bronze, in 2013.

See our F1 related articles too!