FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Just as it says...
Article: http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/na ... /13855401/

Kevin Ward Jr committed suicide last night during a sprint car race in New York.

This is the video of the incident. It shows Kevin stepping into the path of Tony Stewart's sprint car causing one of Tony's tires to make contact with Kevin. He was pronounced dead upon arrival at the hospital.

[youtube]Ja7TlxpPb_8[/youtube]
Agreed. As sad as this is, I find it very hard to have any sympathy for a driver who deliberately walks onto the track, regardless of yellow flags. Especially on those small dirt tracks that don't really have great lighting in the first place.

I put the title as Kevin Ward jr committing suicide because he may as well have, accident or not. I wanted to :vomit: when I saw the usa today headline saying tony stewart killed him.....tony stewart didn't kill anybody. Kevin killed his $#@!^& self by walking in front of tony's car.
I agree with geet (we have quite a bromance happening at the moment).

Whilst I wouldn't go as far to say he committed suicide - he didn't plan to kill himself. What Ward did was absolutely stupid.

Tony Graves says the following about the incident though: “I know Tony could see him. I know how you can see out of these cars. When Tony got close to him, he hit the throttle. When you hit a throttle on a sprint car, the car sets sideways. It set sideways, the right rear tire hit Kevin, Kevin was sucked underneath and was stuck under it for a second or two and then it threw him about 50 yards.”

He says that Stewart deliberately hit the throttle when he drove past Ward. If that's the case, then it's a very serious allegation, but I don't see that in the video. I see a stupid driver with a death wish....
This is a truly shocking affair, obviously a driver lost his life, but the allegations and the whole uncivilised Nascar culture leaves a really bad whiff. To allege manslaughter and to look at the telemetry to see if Steward was careless is one thing but to seriously consider murder is shocking
I agree with geet (we have quite a bromance happening at the moment).

Whilst I wouldn't go as far to say he committed suicide - he didn't plan to kill himself. What Ward did was absolutely stupid.

Tony Graves says the following about the incident though: “I know Tony could see him. I know how you can see out of these cars. When Tony got close to him, he hit the throttle. When you hit a throttle on a sprint car, the car sets sideways. It set sideways, the right rear tire hit Kevin, Kevin was sucked underneath and was stuck under it for a second or two and then it threw him about 50 yards.”

He says that Stewart deliberately hit the throttle when he drove past Ward. If that's the case, then it's a very serious allegation, but I don't see that in the video. I see a stupid driver with a death wish....

Word. What I saw from watching the video about 20 times just now was tony's nose was clear of kevin and it looked like he tried to throw the back end towards the inside of the track and away from kevin to avoid him, in which case he would need to hit the throttle to make the back end loose. Having read a lot of youtube comments as well, a lot of people who've claimed to have driven these kind of sprint cars are saying that these cars don't turn unless you're hitting the throttle, so he'd have to hit the throttle to turn the car out of the way of kevin.
No matter what the cops say I am sure that Tony Stewart will be having a few sleepless nights and some PTSD over the whole thing.

Was Ward Jr well knows? I don't follow Nascar.

I'm not sure as I don't follow nascar myself but from what I've seen in youtube comments, he's a nobody. Or was a nobody.
How dreadful! What on earth was the guy thinking walking on a race track wagging his finger? And that American newspaper headline that said Tony will race despite murdering someone. How can they say that?? An awful incident.
It's NASCAR, those redneck loves themselves a good helmet throwing incident. This guy didn't take his helmet off cause he's still in sprint cars, that's the problem stay a safe distance away and throw the helmet. Rookie mistake. My condolences to his family.

[youtube]Y0mDhDT0cb0[/youtube]
[youtube]guX8i5r7Knk[/youtube]
[youtube]wwc8obMmv7o[/youtube]
That looked like a dumbass walking on track and even if Tony Stewart 'murdered' him, the guy had it coming. He was almost 'murdered' by the blue colour vehicle just moments before.

Dumbass. RIP.

See our F1 related articles too!