FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Just as it says...
I have so many issues with technology , I decided to start a thread so as not to clog up all the others.

My most pressing need ( and it's your fault Hammer! Telling me to get on a PC!) is to get on a PC, a laptop one. I'm ok on the two at home and my iPad.......at getting on that is, because I always stay logged in with favourites or the 'remember me' button. But I'm at Wales now and tried to get on the laptop here, for the VERY VERY IMPORTANT reason of posting someone's entry for the writing competition!!!!!! Much easier on a PC rather than iPad. Well I can't remember the password..AGAIN! I've tried a few times with options but now that captcha thing has come on and I can't read it. I've tried and it's wrong but I don't know if I've got the password wrong or the capcha.

Well all suggestions of my next move gratefully received! And the prize if you get me logged on? Well, you get to read a stunningly good entry to the writing competition.
The CAPTCHA for this site is incredibly frustrating, so many times I have gotten it clearly right and it just continues to shout at me. We should be using the fancy animated captcha instead http://areyouahuman.com/

You can just make a password thats easier to remember. We've been spending years telling people that secure passwords are a jumble of uppercase/lowercase/numbers and special characters, but instead they are the least secure and stupidly difficult to remember. e.g.

A password a3bc23Xgh76M@v will take around a few weeks of computerised number crunching to crackl

However a password of 'This is my password for forumula one' will take around a few centuries to crack, as the cracking machines just randomly guess letters so the chance of that being cracked are FAR FAR less; and it's not just because it has more characters.

Thanks for sharing that lemony snicket! One of the benefits we now have at work if we choose a phrase rather than a password regardless of difficulty is that we're allowed to keep the password for 120 days instead of it expiring every 30 days.
I'm not even bothered if anyone guesses mine, and it is easy. I just forget where I've put the capital letter and the number, or if I even have. :confused:

Yes the thing keeps telling me I've got do it again, and again and again. But I don't know which bit I've got wrong :banghead::banghead:

If I give in and go down the 'I've forgotten my password' route and reset it, and it doesn't work, I'll be logged out the whole lot, iPad as well! And if it does work I still might be logged out of the iPad.

Oh poo!
Joy! I'm in!! :rofl: I must have hit in the right password AND got the captcha right :thumbup:
Thanks for sharing that lemony snicket! One of the benefits we now have at work if we choose a phrase rather than a password regardless of difficulty is that we're allowed to keep the password for 120 days instead of it expiring every 30 days.

We have to choose a new password every 6 weeks, which annoys the living end out of me!!
Worse still, most people at work tell me all they do is add a number to the end of their
existing password (e.g. adding 6 to the end of mypassword12345) and it works for them,
I always get a message about not being allowed to use the same password that I've used
ever!! Pain in the :censored: !!

The "best" is that, when I can't remember my password and I've locked myself out, I have
to call the help desk to get it reset. Then the remind you over and over, to change that
"generic" password, as soon as possible. Of course, they don't tell you that you have to
wait a minimum of 24 hours, by which time I've forgotten the "generic" password and the
new password I was going to use!!! It's happened that I've had to call them two or three
times in one day because I can't log on with either!! I can't be the only one this happens
to, because the wait time when I call the help desk is often 15 - 20 minutes!!

I finally called IT and offered a suggestion!! NOT an original one; but, a suggestion just
the same!! They really should have a secret question that will allow us to reset our own
password without having to call in!!

Of course, that makes too much sense!! :banghead:
Passphrases > Passwords. Always.
My favourite password during my teen years were 'password' With a couple of numbers involved. :D

I'm glad to say my passwords these days don't even make sense anymore....if I told someone outright, they'd be like...wtf does that even mean???

But I agree with Lemonade...the captcha things are FUC*IN annoying. In quite a few sites I can't even read that sh*t due to it being pixelated or not loading properly. There are other ways to refrain bots from participating.
At work, when I had to change my password every month, I just based it on the calendar, coupled with a standard pass code. I.e. Jun131234, then Jul131234, then Aug131234 etc etc. and I just changed it on the 1st of every month.

Not very safe or secure - but it did the job.
I'm glad to say my passwords these days don't even make sense anymore....if I told someone outright, they'd be like...wtf does that even mean???

Just use a random sentence. Really easy to remember, and almost impossible to hack.
I used to have Lewis, Lewis 1 , Lewis 2, Lewis 3 etc etc. on my school laptop, it was getting silly high numbers so I begged the school IT to guy to just let me get on mine without one, and he did! much better :)

Just use a random sentence. Really easy to remember, and almost impossible to hack.

Kinda like: twinkle twinkle little star? :wavey:

Kinda like: twinkle twinkle little star? :wavey:

That's not random... you'd need something like; twinkle blue rock tinkle
Or something like.......Maldonado is a fine figure of a man.

See our F1 related articles too!