FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Just as it says...
People say, "Life goes on." This seems to be a fav reflection of the pro-gun lobby, along with "Guns don't kill people, people kill people." Don't try telling me that.

I remember that shooting!! It was devastating!! I remember thinking how could anyone "snap" like that!
But, it would seem we have become almost "desensitized" to that kind of tragedy!!

As a parent, I would hate to know that I was responsible for my child having access to that sort of firepower!!
Unfortunately, not everyone follows the law when it comes to storing guns and ammunition!

In what may be the strangest coincidence in my life, the woman behind me in the checkout line at Metro ... was one of the victims.

:eek: How do you know?

You dont think..

Nah

operaman doesnt sound like he was the shooter :yikes:

Obviously he recognised the victim because of his knowledge of Centenial, like he pointed out in his post
By sagi58
In what may be the strangest coincidence in my life, the woman behind me in the checkout line at Metro ... was one of the victims.

You dont think..

Nah

Obviously he recognised the victim because of his knowledge of Centenial, like he pointed out in his post

I don't know... You see, the shooting was in the mid-70s (I believe) and it happened in Brampton, which is a city (now) West of Toronto.
Operaman's location shows he's in a Resort North of Toronto, which I'm going to guess is a good hour's (highway) drive from where the
shooting originally occurred. So... unless he has a phenomenal capacity to "date" how someone will have aged, or that he was in a
Brampton Metro and the woman never moved out of the area and was at the same Metro, then I'm going to assume that somehow a
conversation was struck and that "little" fact was part of it...

Over to you, operaman... :thumbup:
By operaman

You dont think..

Nah

I don't know... You see, the shooting was in the mid-70s (I believe) and it happened in Brampton, which is a city (now) West of Toronto.
Operaman's location shows he's in a Resort North of Toronto, which I'm going to guess is a good hour's (highway) drive from where the
shooting originally occurred. So... unless he has a phenomenal capacity to "date" how someone will have aged, or that he was in a
Brampton Metro and the woman never moved out of the area and was at the same Metro, then I'm going to assume that somehow a
conversation was struck and that "little" fact was part of it...

Over to you, operaman... :thumbup:

Just checkout line stuff. I was chatting up the woman in front of me about where she was from (most people you meet in a resort are from somewhere else), when the woman behind me offered that she was from Brampton. I said that I too was from that city, and asked which neighbourhood. When she said that she was from Peel Village I mentioned that I had just been reminded of the Centennial shooting by this forum thread, and I asked if she remembered it. Peel Village was the area of Brampton where the school is located. She said, "Of course I remember, I was one of the victims." She had been shot in the leg, but obviously recovered. We talked a bit about that day and the aftermath and then it was time to go.
By sagi58
Just checkout line stuff. I was chatting up the woman in front of me about where she was from (most people you meet in a resort are from somewhere else), when the woman behind me offered that she was from Brampton. I said that I too was from that city, and asked which neighbourhood. When she said that she was from Peel Village I mentioned that I had just been reminded of the Centennial shooting by this forum thread, and I asked if she remembered it. Peel Village was the area of Brampton where the school is located. She said, "Of course I remember, I was one of the victims." She had been shot in the leg, but obviously recovered. We talked a bit about that day and the aftermath and then it was time to go.

Isn't it strange that we don't always hear about how the victims recover?
And, about how they're coping/doing today?
I lived in the NYC area most of my life, watching the sun rise through the shadow of the Empire State Building. I left on April 1st 2001 so I completely missed Sept 11th. I was on my way to Washington DC for a business meeting that day, and I remember I was in the middle of getting ready to leave when the first plane struck, then the second, then the news of a plan hitting the Pentagon. Needless to say, I spent the entire day numb watching it all unfold like the rest of the country, and I'm sure a large portion of the world.

I was talking to a childhood friend of mine just to make sure he was okay, as he was getting out Manhattan, and he told me that could see little white specks jumping from the top of the world trade center towers. These were people making a choice, preferring jumping to their deaths rather that be burned a live.

I realized that after that day I never had a conversation with a native NY'ker about it. I drove back a few times and for weeks after the even you could still see a trail of smoke rising from the area where the building stood. Going to pick up my mother in law for thanksgiving a month later, and you could still see the trail of smoke.

This year I finally had a conversation with someone first hand, I bumped into this guy that's now living here in central PA, he's an ex member of The Ramones actually, that was living in downtown Manhattan and he and his wife told me things that they'd seen, shared their experience, and it was weird talking about something with survivors that I'd (perhaps subconsciously) chosen not to have discussed with anyone for all that time.

There are memories that stay with you for whatever reason, like I said a major celebrity's death or the like, but can almost without fail tell you exactly what I did that entire day, conversations with my wife, relatives, and the images that kept replaying over and over.
By racechick
One to add to our memories. Mandela has just died :( I guess we'll remember we were all chatting on here one evening when we got that news.
By operaman
I was watching the Leafs (moment of silence before the game) when I heard. I was fortunate to be 1 of 40 000, who heard him speak in Toronto 1998. Greatness is forged in adversity and Mandela is the perfect example.
By sagi58
I was at our staff Christmas dinner last night, so I didn't hear anything until this morning!

Nelson Mandela! Just his name evokes a sense of power and peace, simultaneously!
We've lost another great one!

Thoughts and prayers for him, his family, his friends.
By Hammer278
Is hard to provide feedback of how it feels to be the victim of a shooting when you are dead

F**K this got me ROFL
By operaman
I was at our staff Christmas dinner last night, so I didn't hear anything until this morning!

Nelson Mandela! Just his name evokes a sense of power and peace, simultaneously!

Well said S, but I am shocked that you would miss a Leaf game for some staff affair. :yikes:
By sagi58

Well said S, but I am shocked that you would miss a Leaf game for some staff affair. :yikes:

Did I mention there was a big screen TV? :whistling:
By operaman

Did I mention there was a big screen TV? :whistling:

Ahhhhh, of course. I should have known there would be after all the school staff gatherings I have attended. Btw .... did you take up a collection for "poor" Rob Ford who forgot to pay the fees for his precious football team. :rofl:

See our F1 related articles too!