FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Just as it says...
By Hammer278
Just 2 at the top of my head;

9/11 - During high school times, and I just return home after playing some squash...and my dad's on the couch watching TV and telling "come over here and look at what the world has become" (this exact quote, no paraphrasing) and I go over and watch the TV for the next 2 hours barely blinking...it was happening live and the 2nd plane had just crashed. :eek:

MJ dying - A friend/colleague bunks over at my place during the weekend and my ex-gf is supposed to meet me around 10am...and he's leaving just as she arrives, and 10mins later (I guess while he's driving back) he sends a text 'yo, MJ died'. And the ex is all like "you okay?" (I was okay, though my mouth was a big O while reading the text msg).

Oh as for the Paul Walker bit.....I just woke up and turned on the laptop, and a friend had a new status update on fbook "RIP Paul Walker"....and google did the rest.
A couple for me:

Diana - This was a weird one - Many of you may remember 'Ceefax' in the UK which used to come on around 1am until 6am replacing TV programmes. Well I used to quite often lie in bed and watch tv then fall asleep. That evening I had done just that, and woke up, similar to one of the above posts where the screen was saying Princess Diana had been seriously injured in a car crash - I remember being in that confused state you can be when half awake / half asleep, thought nothing more about it then went back to sleep. Obviously found out when I woke up in the morning.

911 - I was at a job interview at the time with the managing director of a company, and in the middle of the interview the sales director came bursting into the room saying that a plane had crashed into the WTC. The MD tried to tell him we were in the middle of the interview and to come back later before the sales director cut him off and told him it was very very serious. We turned on the tv in the MD's office and watched it all unfold, horrendous as it was, in almost silence. My interview was postponed until the next day, and I actually got the job for those that wondered!

Michael Jackson - I was at my cousin's wedding, and heard nothing until I went back to my room at around midnight. Called my parents room to tell them, and it was almost that 'what are you talking about - don't be ridiculous' response. Was also very sad that the death of Farrah Fawcett never received the coverage it should have, with her having died that same day.

Senna - was watching the race live in the kitchen at my parents house, having soup with the family around the breakfast bar. I still remember being horrified but saying 'it's okay, he just moved his head, he'll be fine'. Sadly not to be.

Dan Wheldon - I had recorded the race live to watch the next morning, and just as the crash occured as I was watching it (must have been around 7.30am UK time), my wife came in to the living room. I said to her 'there's just been a big crash, but it looks like everyone is okay' - that was how it looked for a couple of minutes after the crash happened. My wife just said somberly to me - 'turn on the news', which I did, to find it was all about Dan's death. I was absolutely shocked to the core having just watched him win at Indy a few weeks earlier.

Challenger - I was watching at home as a young child, and vaguely remember being excited at the whole launch thing, but not quite understanding what had just happened. I still remember in my own 4 year old head equating it to a car crash, and thinking 'oh well, they can fix it and try again'... So very very sad.

Freddie Mercury - Watched a very young Dermot Murnaghan break the news on Channel 4 Daily and was very sad as my brother and I both loved Queen.
By racechick
Your dan Wheldon memory reminds me of Where I was for Simoncellis death. I was watching on my iPad in France ( I think the week after Wheldon) an awful period for motor sport. I watched Marco get run over and was just stunned. I still think of him very often, especially watching the moto GP races. He should have been right up there at the front. :(:(
Has anyone else noticed that, when something happens RC is in the same country!!! Are you sure you are not an international spy? :-)
By racechick
:hehe: I'd quite like to be a spy. I told the careers officer at school I wanted to be a spy, he wasn't impressed.
I am convinced my wife is the world's greatest private investigator. She can catch ANYONE in a lie.
By racechick
I believe everything I'm told and am crap at lying :rofl::rofl: maybe not so good as a spy. My thinking was, they'd never suspect me :)
Really you are an ict speciallist in covert network penetration aren't you lol

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk
By sagi58
Really you are an ict speciallist in covert network penetration aren't you lol...

Maybe RC can sort out our pool??
By racechick
Really you are an ict speciallist in covert network penetration aren't you lol

:thumbup: well you never know, :wink:
By operaman
People say, "Life goes on." This seems to be a fav reflection of the pro-gun lobby, along with "Guns don't kill people, people kill people." Don't try telling me that.

I remember that shooting!! It was devastating!! I remember thinking how could anyone "snap" like that!
But, it would seem we have become almost "desensitized" to that kind of tragedy!!

As a parent, I would hate to know that I was responsible for my child having access to that sort of firepower!!
Unfortunately, not everyone follows the law when it comes to storing guns and ammunition!

In what may be the strangest coincidence in my life, the woman behind me in the checkout line at Metro ... was one of the victims.
By sagi58
People say, "Life goes on." This seems to be a fav reflection of the pro-gun lobby, along with "Guns don't kill people, people kill people." Don't try telling me that.

I remember that shooting!! It was devastating!! I remember thinking how could anyone "snap" like that!
But, it would seem we have become almost "desensitized" to that kind of tragedy!!

As a parent, I would hate to know that I was responsible for my child having access to that sort of firepower!!
Unfortunately, not everyone follows the law when it comes to storing guns and ammunition!

In what may be the strangest coincidence in my life, the woman behind me in the checkout line at Metro ... was one of the victims.

:eek: How do you know?
I read that post when I was tired and thought the same, tjen just assumed I had misread it

See our F1 related articles too!