FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Just as it says...
You could microwave a Sunday roast with the amount of radiation you absorb doing that lol

I'm not silly, silly, I always wear a wired headset.

If radiation from cell phones killed people, I should be dead using cell phones since 1988 when they transmitted .5 to 3 watts of power. Today's 3G and LTE devices tend to be class 3 and spend the majority of their life in the sub 250 mW range due to the cell density.

I was half joking. if RF radiation is going to kill me it is the years of working in and around 55kW radars.
:hehe: I'm sure you knew where just to place your lunch to get it nice and toasty!

It's funny though a while back I had access to a radiated EMF strenght meter and found one of the highest things around the home were florescent lamps and the other highest thing were the large digit LED alarm clocks people put on their night stands. Things people spend HOURS of time in proximity of yet no one thinks twice about those.
Can anyone who's good with mobile phones(WB, Im looking at you babe!)tell me what then if difference is between data and data roaming? I never have data roaming turned on but I think if I go abroad I have to turn off data as well don't I?

Loving my iPhone by the way but still got lots to learn about it.
It is using data from other networks I believe. For someone as international as yourself I think it could get expensive

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk
Data usage is just that, data used through the cellular network. It doesn't include data used through Wi-fi networks though. Roaming data is data used outside of your home network. A phone knows it's roaming because each GSM global carriers is assigned a Mobile Networck Code (MNC) and each country has a specific Mobile Country Code (MCC). Depending on the contract with the cellular provider there may be roaming data that isn't considered roaming.

In the US if you travel to Canada or Mexico then you're roaming, but you can get cellular contracts that include a certain amount of roaming data and international calls. So the issue isn't that you're roaming, it's your contract should reflect your needs. In any case roaming data will always be more expensive. The simplest thing to do if you're spending a lot of time in France and you want to use your phone there, is to get a French SIM with a French mobile number and their data plan which will not be "roaming" since you're on their home network. You can then call forward your phone calls to that French number. Just remember to turn off call forwarding when you get back home. :wink:
Thanks for that.
I'm not really bothered about using the phone much in France . There's a landline in the chalet , wifi, a french mobile available if needed and I've got apples messaging, facetime and what's app. But I like to keep the phone part turned on in case the odd call or text comes from friends. Also it's useful if you get lost on the slopes, need to meet up with others in the group or have an emergency.
The bit Im not sure of is what has to be turned off when I cross the chanel. I never ever have data roaming turned on because I've heard how expensive it is. Do I also have to turn data off when I go abroad?

Another question.....On my old phone I used to turn data off in the house to force the phone to use wifi for Whats app. Am I right in thinking my iPhone will default to wifi if it detects a used wifi network?
Thanks for that.
I'm not really bothered about using the phone much in France . There's a landline in the chalet , wifi, a french mobile available if needed and I've got apples messaging, facetime and what's app. But I like to keep the phone part turned on in case the odd call or text comes from friends. Also it's useful if you get lost on the slopes, need to meet up with others in the group or have an emergency.
The bit Im not sure of is what has to be turned off when I cross the chanel. I never ever have data roaming turned on because I've heard how expensive it is. Do I also have to turn data off when I go abroad?

Another question.....On my old phone I used to turn data off in the house to force the phone to use wifi for Whats app. Am I right in thinking my iPhone will default to wifi if it detects a used wifi network?

Turning off data while roaming is enough but if you want to be really really safe you can just turn off data. Make sure you always differentiate between cellular data and WiFi since the device always have a built in preference to use WiFi (since it's faster and cheaper) than cellular data. You're right in thinking about the default but that can also be turned off an on. The ideal is to turn off auto connect to WiFi and turn on connect automatically to known networks. This may be in the same configuration screen depending on the device. There are some WiFi networks that from a security standpoint can be dodgy at best.
Thanks again. These are the buttons . It's the top one . I turn it off when I go abroad just in case it gets foamy all by itself. The roaming button is never on. I think it's data that comes in the package in that top button, not wifi. Do you think the phone defaults to wifi while that button is turned in? Ir should I turn it off in the house?

I'll go check the wifi setting...that it's only on know networks.

image.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
:thumbup:

I've just read my last post. I meant roamy not foamy. Lol my phone doesn't get foamy.
:thumbup:

I've just read my last post. I meant roamy not foamy. Lol my phone doesn't get foamy.

That depends on where it's been I guess... :twisted:
anyone got any experience using Odin?

I have used ODIN for restore a stock ROM after a custom ROM flash went wrong, what are you attempting to do?
My Samsung Gear will not update to Tizen, and because it has got a China build on it, Samsung has not released Tizen in China so I can not use Kies to do it.

See our F1 related articles too!