FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Just as it says...
By CigarGuy
If there's a silver lining, In the US, this guy would have had a semi automatic assault rifle with a couple of hundred round clips and would have taken out dozen people.

Funny. I thought you were going to finish your sentence with "....and would have killed the killer before he was killed."
By What's Burning?
Well of course I didn't say that, as it would have been a very dumb thing for me to say. How many times have you heard of an armed stationed police officer preventing an attack? It certainly didn't in Columbine and there was a 15 year veteran Sheriff on site. I'm certainly not against guns as I own a Walther PPQ but I can certainly tell you that I don't need 30 round clips for it and I would want anyone owning a gun to have a thorough background check and basic training on use and maintenance of a fire arm. Two things that the NRA vehemently is against.
By Jabberwocky
The British military before you can be armed with a rifle. You have to complete something like 80 hours of training when you 1st join. Then annually you have to undergo 2 days reminder training. Then if you are going to issued a rifle for whatever reason you have another reminder course with an extra day of when and what you can shoot. The last bit has to be re done every 4 months if needed.
By racechick
I'm glad our civilian police aren't armed . Armed response teams that are properly trained are called when needed and for opportunist killings armed police won't help. Guns perpetrate guns and the more there are about, the more idiots can get hold of them.
By sagi58
Unfortunately, in making arms "illegal", doesn't stop the criminal population that wants to get one.
At times, they are better armed than the police forces meant to protect us from them.
By CigarGuy
The criminals will ALWAYS have guns. Only question is whether the rest of us will.
Well, here in USA, at least.
By What's Burning?
No other developed country on earth has as lax gun laws or more weapons than the United States. The easy access to weapons and the ineffective methods of tracking weapons to make sure that they don’t fall into the wrong hands facilitate violent and unstable people in the United States getting weapons with which to kill people.

Currently, there are 88 guns for every 100 people living in the United States (not even counting the illegal weapons which our government couldn’t account for). With so many weapons and so few controls on who can own the weapons, there is simply no realistic way to keep these guns from falling into the hands of violent criminals and disturbed people. According to FBI statistics, 46,313 Americans were murdered with firearms during the time period of 2007 to 2011. To put this death-toll into perspective, this translates to an average of 9,263 murders per year, or 25 murders per day. When we look at this average death toll in relation to the Sandy Hook Shooting—a nationally shocking tragedy—we see that a Sandy Hook sized tragedy happens every day, yet nobody covers it.

Guns give people a quick, easy, cheap, and relatively detached (compared to stabbings/beatings) method of killing people—even large numbers of people. By making killing easy, guns directly contribute to the thought process that must go into a killing and facilitate even higher body counts. Without guns, people would still kill others, but it would be far more difficult to accrue high body counts. A tool may simply be a shortcut to a desired result, but it isn’t fair to say that the tool has no part in achieving a result. A man with a hammer and a man with a gun could kill an identical number of people, but the gun certainly makes it more likely that the person will succeed, faster in their killing spree, and more likely to kill their specific targets.

Guns don’t kill people; people kill people. However, people with guns can easily and quickly kill a lot of people, while those who don’t have guns, cannot. In a country flooded with guns, the mass murderer (or simply the person who wishes to kill one person) is able to obtain their weapon easily and without much risk.

Anyone can come online and make a bumper sticker comment that sounds right but is ignorant or myopic and just plain out of synch with society. It's no coincidence that states with laxed gun laws see four to five times more murders committed with guns than states with highly regulated gun laws.

Just to illustrate how insidious the NRA lobby is in the US, they have lobbied for and it is illegal in this country for the CDC to study data from violent crimes that used a gun, they are also legally prevented from keeping a database to track violent crimes. That's the reality boys and girls, If only people were less ignorant before forming an opinion, eh?

EDIT. Sorry for using lots of words.
By What's Burning?
Sure beats being ignorant. :D I read up on things before coming an opinion that's why I'm so frequently right on things. Try it sometimes.

BTW, I'm glad you're able to pose such a strong counter argument to anything I said.
By racechick
I don't want a gun Cigar man. I'd hate a gun to be anywhere near my house. And I don't feel threatened that someone else might shoot me. Even when I go out at night in town, ( Nottingham city, one of the highest for gun crime in theUk) because those involved in gun crime are low in number and it's usually drug gang related. Those areas aren't the centre of town, I don't need to go there and if an incident is reported an armed response tea will go in.
In the centre off town the police aren't armed, they're there to diffuse situations not escalate them, they make me feel safe. I wouldn't feel safe if they had guns and shot people.
By CigarGuy
I don't want a gun Cigar man. I'd hate a gun to be anywhere near my house. And I don't feel threatened that someone else might shoot me. Even when I go out at night in town, ( Nottingham city, one of the highest for gun crime in theUk) because those involved in gun crime are low in number and it's usually drug gang related. Those areas aren't the centre of town, I don't need to go there and if an incident is reported an armed response tea will go in.
In the centre off town the police aren't armed, they're there to diffuse situations not escalate them, they make me feel safe. I wouldn't feel safe if they had guns and shot people.

Nor should you be forced to own a gun. But, at least here in USA, it is legal for most. If you won't use it, there is NO need to own one, for sure!
Best way NOT to be forced to use it is stay away from "those" areas of town!
By racechick
I do stay away ( from the St. Anne's area where the drug crime people live) but I wouldn't want police or other people walking around the part of town I do go to, to have guns. I sometimes go to the part where the clubs, bars and restaurants are and where people do silly things because they've had too much to drink. This is where police have to be able to diffuse situations quickly and safely, not start shooting people.
By CigarGuy
I do stay away ( from the St. Anne's area where the drug crime people live) but I wouldn't want police or other people walking around the part of town I do go to, to have guns. I sometimes go to the part where the clubs, bars and restaurants are and where people do silly things because they've had too much to drink. This is where police have to be able to diffuse situations quickly and safely, not start shooting people.

I'm guessing that growing up in different "cultures" creates the, what, uneasiness of police carrying guns? Anyway, at least there are choices?! ;)
By What's Burning?
More choices I guess is good if you're not black and happen to be shot within 1.88 seconds of a cop stopping a 12 year old for having an air gun. While Idiots (that happen to be white walk around openly carrying semi automatic assault rifled don't suffer the same consequence. Wonder why.

[youtube]N30TagPCNE4[/youtube]

[youtube]UVZM8w9JCXI[/youtube]

At least we've got choices. :rolleyes:

See our F1 related articles too!