FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Just as it says...
By Jabberwocky
everyone had to play a part in the war and as the commander in chief did you expect his to be stood next to Capt Mannering, Sgt Wilson, and L/Cpl Jones?

Plus I think you will find Churchill did his front line fighting in Cuba, Sudan, and Africa
By What's Burning?
Individual Muslims may show splendid qualities, but the influence of the religion paralyses the social development of those who follow it.
- Winston Churchill

I think the quote right after that one was... now give me another drink.
By andrew
I don't care what he's done. Can't respect someone who comes out with intolerant BS like the quote posted by Bud.

Individual Muslims may show splendid qualities, but the influence of the religion paralyses the social development of those who follow it.
- Winston Churchill

You'd like to think he'd had a few before saying that as well.
By What's Burning?
I'm a fan of Churchill for the most part, he was the right man at the right time. But because someone is very good in one thing doesn't mean they're very good at other things. He certainly had his shortcomings.

Henry Ford for example, a manufacturing visionary and he could almost be credited for being the father of the manufacturing might of the US. He was on the other hand, a rabid anti-Semite that openly supported the Nazis.
By bud
- Winston Churchill

Actually

"No stronger retrograde force exists in the world. Far from being moribund, Islam is a militant
and proselytizing faith. It has already spread throughout Central Africa, raising
fearless warriors at every step, and were it not that Christianity is sheltered in the
strong arms of science, the science against which it (Islam) has vainly struggled,
the civilization of modern Europe might fall, as fell the civilization of ancient Rome.”
By What's Burning?
Yes, rather radical wouldn't you agree? As I mentioned above, Henry Ford and others have felt just as strongly against Judaism. I also shudder to think how many lives were taken all in the name of Christianity. It doesn't make any of them right.
By andrew
All religions have their fanatics and extremists who carry out terrible atrocities in the name of their chosen religion. The Quran is a book of peace though if someone is of a certain mindset and believes that their faith is the only correct one it becomes a book of war. Same can be said for all religious texts. It only takes a minority of fanatics to tar the majority with the same brush, as has happened with Islam.
By LewEngBridewell
- Winston Churchill

nice quote matey

It's not just Islam, all organised religions have SERIOUS issues, which are becoming more pronounced in modern times. So I think the quote is an accurate analysis of Christianity too, for example.
By andrew
- Winston Churchill

nice quote matey

It's not just Islam, all organised religions have SERIOUS issues, which are becoming more pronounced in modern times. So I think the quote is an accurate analysis of Christianity too, for example.

Exactly! The gutter press, certain politicians and uneducated slobs will try their hardest to convince us otherwise to suit their own personnal agenda/warped thinking and some people sadly believe them.
By racechick
Coming back to the young lad that was killed. This is the complete text he sent his mum the night before he died.

"Goodnight mum, I hope you had a fantastic day today because you are the most fantastic and one in a million mum that anyone could ever wish for. Thank you for supporting me all these years, you're not just my mum, you're my best friend. So goodnight, love you loads"

So so sad.
By LewEngBridewell
Coming back to the young lad that was killed. This is the complete text he sent his mum the night before he died.

"Goodnight mum, I hope you had a fantastic day today because you are the most fantastic and one in a million mum that anyone could ever wish for. Thank you for supporting me all these years, you're not just my mum, you're my best friend. So goodnight, love you loads"

So so sad.

Sad, but also eerie. It's as if he knew....
By racechick

So so sad.

Sad, but also eerie. It's as if he knew....

I know. Very poignant
By Jabberwocky
It is almost Senna-esque in knowing.

I was thinking about this. Did they know he was a serviceman or was it just random

Sent from Turing Colossus using Tapatalk 2
By vaptin
Reprisals are going to be terrible. I would imagine that the troops at woolwich are going to be locked down tonight. If not they will be like feral animals, and who would blame them.

Well, I would.

---

I think, if we really wanted to solve issues, we should take a statistically, reasoned approach to them, not just focus on the most emotional responses? Sadly, I think all the way up to the heads of government, and civil service, and the military, it isn't working like that.

I think, caring about the issue isn't enough, no point getting emotional about it, the key is to actually work out the most effective way of dealing with it, and providing a better way for society to move forward.

See our F1 related articles too!