FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Just as it says...
By "new" I meant in terms of social awareness. For example, the use of drugs has never been a socially acceptable activity, whereas the other two subjects have always been so.

Sorry if that was not clear.

Again, you're pulling that statement about the use of drugs never been a socially acceptable activity out of your arse. Study the issue first! E.g., coca leaves have been essential for people in the Andes for ages. Various mushrooms have been consumed on a regular basis for recreational, ritual, medicinal and other purposes across millennia. Same with cannabis. There are MANY ancient drugs that have a rich history of perfectly accepted uses. Experts commonly agree, there hasn't been a drug-free society in the history of mankind!
The issue of whether it's an acceptable 'drug' or not doesn't even remotely interest me in a debate like this, as if a drug like cannabis were to be legalised the actual concentration, quality etc. would be strictly regulated, and over time would be accepted on an equal(ly bad) footing as cigarettes (which are also unacceptable in modern society - certainly to me).

What the crux of the matter for me is, hundreds of years ago, the term 'carcinogenic' was not known. Both alcohol and tobacco are carcinogenic - that is now known, but being ingrained into society, as well as industry, it would be so hard to make either of these illegal in a society such as the UK or US. The carcinogenic effects of cannabis are still being debated - older research suggests that in equal doses it is less carcinogenic than tobacco, but the most recent research suggests it is substantially more so.

Either way, public health authorities would NEVER allow a new carcinogen to be made legal given the already disproportionately high burden on healthcare due to the existing carcinogens (I believe that in modern society where the risks are known, ANYBODY that suffers health issues as a result of either alcohol or tobacco use should have to pay for that related treatment themselves, it should not come out of public funding). All other debates are therefore completely moot.
I think drugs are widely accepted. Think about smoke breaks. Boom. Some coworkers of mine ask for a smoke break 2-3 times a night. I ask my boss for a smoke break, the reply is "you don't smoke!" We're rewarded for the habit in our society, in some respects and to some degrees.
The issue of carcinoges is not front/center in the minds of folks ZA, as "valid" as it may be. This is all about moral/religious beliefs and the differences between socially conservative mindsets and socially liberal mindsets. The fact remains that we'll never win this "war" on drugs and society would be MUCH better off were we to spend the untold trillions of dollars spent world wide, in education and improvements to life/health standards.

Drug addiction is part of our genetic predisposition, there are clearly genetic markers that predispose people to alcoholism. Research has been done extensively with monkeys that show that a certain % of a given group was able to drink alcohol socially, a certain % had no taste for it at all, and a certain % would drink till they passed out.

As far as Rissole's socially unacceptable comment, you're keeping a very narrow view on the work social. Drugs have been used by man just as long as gods have been used by man.
I am suprised the goverment does not legalise it, just so they can find more ways of taxing humanity.

As if losing a lung a liver of a life isn't taxing enough already?

We should have have included prostitution in the general discussion. :hehe:
I am suprised the goverment does not legalise it, just so they can find more ways of taxing humanity.

Vote NO to John tax

What'd stalin say? "Kill one man, it's a tragedy. Kill a million, it's a statistic!!" They don't care :eek:
Every drug should be legal, thus controlled and tested. People are dying because of adulterated s*** flodding the streets. This would never happen as there are too many big fishes making big $ with drug trafficking. Prostitution should be legal too, what would be the problem with that? What difference does it make being illegal? it´s even worse. They also call it the oldest profession for a reason... It´s much better if regulated.

PD: I´m not a consumer.
Every drug should be legal, thus controlled and tested. People are dying because of adulterated s*** flodding the streets. This would never happen as there are too many big fishes making big $ with drug trafficking. Prostitution should be legal too, what would be the problem with that? What difference does it make being illegal? it´s even worse. They also call it the oldest profession for a reason... It´s much better if regulated.

PD: I´m not a consumer.

I agree with this too a point I don't think some of the hard drugs should be legalized due to the deterrents that the law provides people would be more likely to try certain things with not having having the fear from the law.. I agree with the prostitution totally never have I ever paid for umpalumpa but what is happening out there needs some legal protection.
Uruguay first country to legalize pot!:thumbup::hippy:

In November 2012, the states of Colorado and Washington approved the legal regulation of marijuana. In August, the White House announced that the federal government will not interfere with state marijuana laws -- as long as a number of stipulations are adhered to, such as preventing distribution to minors.

By approving this measure, Uruguay has taken the broad regional discussion on alternatives to drug prohibition one step further, representing a concrete advance in line with growing anti-drug war rhetoric in Latin America and throughout the world.

Because Uruguay is used to doing exceptional things.

You might hear "Uruguay" and think of football, yerba mate, beef, tango or, now, marijuana. But this tiny country of just over 3 million people has a history of remarkable political reforms and a strong human rights ethos.

Just last year, Uruguay legalized same-sex marriage and abortion. It has long been at the forefront of progressive policies, being one of the first nations in the region to grant divorce rights for women in 1912, instituting the eight-hour workday in 1915 and including women's right to vote in its Constitution in 1917. It has never criminalized prostitution and has legally regulated it since 2002. In 2009, Uruguay granted adoption rights for same-sex couples and the legal right to choose one's own gender identity.

This also comes from a country where the church and state have been officially separated since 1917.

It's a country where the president, 78-year-old former Tupamaro guerrilla Mujica, lives an austere lifestyle after having spent 14 years as a political prisoner during Uruguay's dictatorship, 10 of them in solitary confinement. He donates 90% of his salary to charity, shuns the presidential palace and chooses instead to remain on his farm with his wife, also a former political prisoner, working to construct a more fair, more inclusive Uruguay.

The consensus is there. Marijuana prohibition hasn't worked, and it's time to try an innovative, more compassionate and smarter approach. Let's hope more countries soon follow Uruguay's brave lead.
Philadelphia just decriminalized it yesterday. Anything under 30 grams is now just a civil offense with a 25 dollar fine.

I wouldn't call that decriminalized though? But good on them :clap:

See our F1 related articles too!