FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Just as it says...
Things are more fun when they're illegal.

Until you have to share a cell with Bubba.

I don't think it should be legalised, ever. And this is coming from someone who has smoked plenty of the stuff... :shock:

Will you elaborate Scotty? How has it worked out in countries that have legalized it/controlled it?
I don't think it should be legalised, ever. And this is coming from someone who has smoked plenty of the stuff... :shock:

I think it should be made legal for those that need it as a medicane.As for general,why not ? yea i used to smoke a fair bit,spose yes it does normally lead to harder drugs would probably be the main argument.There isn't much problems with it in Holland.Although the new smoking rules make it so you have to smoke pure hash-weed joints with no tobacco in the coffee shops. :hehe:
........yes it does normally lead to harder drugs would probably be the main argument.......

And I think this is the most stupid argument people come up with for not legalising pot. And its mainly Daily Mail readers.

Out of the 15-20 close friends who openly smoked weed when a teen, ZERO of them went on to harder drugs. The majority of them went on to give it up by mid twenties. Of the 5 still using, they are all highly successful in their chosen careers and have solid family lives.

It's not the pot thats dangerous, or leads to harder drugs / crime. It's the people taking them.

Will you elaborate Scotty? How has it worked out in countries that have legalized it/controlled it?

I don't know about other countries. My experience with weed is that it can really mess with your head in some circumstances (my circumstance - smoking half an ounce a week, haha, crazy times). Luckily for me i knew when to call it quits and stop smoking, but i have seen others who have been affected very badly by smoking for a long time. If kept unchecked, ie legalised, others WILL have a similar experience to that but it can easily go much worse for them. And i don't care what anyone says, it can be addictive, i certainly feel i used to be addicted to the stuff, physically and mentally. But this was quite a long time ago. I very rarely smoke it any more. Probably not for 18 months now either. So, my objection is from a mental health aspect.

I think it should be made legal for those that need it as a medicane.As for general,why not ? yea i used to smoke a fair bit,spose yes it does normally lead to harder drugs would probably be the main argument.There isn't much problems with it in Holland.Although the new smoking rules make it so you have to smoke pure hash-weed joints with no tobacco in the coffee shops. :hehe:

Medicinal purposes are a completely different kettle of fish, but yeah, i agree with that if the benefits are proven and all side effects are properly accounted for and considered. I believe it is used in that way in some places already anyway.

As for the harder drugs bit, hmm, i kind of agree, i have certainly tried some other things that i don't think i would have done otherwise. But for me it was only one offs. Again, it won't be the same for others and some others will certainly end up worse off!

Alcohol is potentially a far more evil drug than weed though. It has claimed lives of people i know, including a family member, so any debate about that is very close to home.

I don't know about other countries. My experience with weed is that it can really mess with your head in some circumstances (my circumstance - smoking half an ounce a week, haha, crazy times). Luckily for me i knew when to call it quits and stop smoking, but i have seen others who have been affected very badly by smoking for a long time. If kept unchecked, ie legalised, others WILL have a similar experience to that but it can easily go much worse for them. And i don't care what anyone says, it can be addictive, i certainly feel i used to be addicted to the stuff, physically and mentally. But this was quite a long time ago. I very rarely smoke it any more. Probably not for 18 months now either. So, my objection is from a mental health aspect.

That's a fair response, however the curious thing about reading it it that you can take pot out of the context and replace it with alcohol or nicotine and everything you just said would still apply, even more important since they're both extremely more impacting from a detriment to medical health standpoint.

This issue doesn't have an easy answer, but there is clearly hypocrisy in the laws deeming which recreational drugs are legal and which are not. I never smoked in the capacity you did btw and it's been my experience that the pot available today is considerably stronger than what I had access to 25~30 years ago.

As a matter of fact, I've told my children about the dangers of drugs and implored them to be responsible since I know nothing I say will prevent them from trying them. But as a father, I'd much rather see my daughter smoke a joint at a party than down a half bottle of vodka.

It's not only long term use that can cause problems, it can act as a trigger for schizophrenia in some people even in small amounts and short term use. This is becoming more common as the strains are getting higher thc/cbd ratios and is the reason I stopped.

It's not only long term use that can cause problems, it can act as a trigger for schizophrenia in some people even in small amounts and short term use. This is becoming more common as the strains are getting higher thc/cbd ratios and is the reason I stopped.

That is particularly true for teenagers (in development), hence it should be legalized but severely restricted according to age, similar to alcohol.
........yes it does normally lead to harder drugs would probably be the main argument.......

And I think this is the most stupid argument people come up with for not legalising pot. And its mainly Daily Mail readers.

Out of the 15-20 close friends who openly smoked weed when a teen, ZERO of them went on to harder drugs. The majority of them went on to give it up by mid twenties. Of the 5 still using, they are all highly successful in their chosen careers and have solid family lives.

It's not the pot thats dangerous, or leads to harder drugs / crime. It's the people taking them.

Gateway drug number one for hard drugs such as heroin: alcohol.
Interesting that few take into account the mental health issues that "indulging" is being associated with (Schizophrenia and depression being just two), and as I have personal experience of this from 2 separate sources, I tend to agree.

Alcohol use dates back thousands of years and is as much a part of society as any other tradition, yes it is harmful but it is also a lot harder to remove because of its firm footing. Smoking dates back to Elizabeth 1, and being a sufferer from the ill effects of this awful weed, I can say honestly that I wish Raleigh had kept his f*****g discovery to himself. But, again, it is hard to stop people because of the age of the habit. the yUK gov is trying hard to price cigarettes out of existence, and I do agree that it is one way of killing off the habit, but I would prefer to see them just ban the manufacture of them. They won't do this because BAT will fight it tooth and nail, and they are afraid of big business.

Drugs, well they are new! And the chicken hearted bas****s that run countries can make a big deal out of the "debilitating effects of drugs on the community" to the extent that billions of dollars can be side-lined to fight the cause (as well as siphoning off large sums to the GW Bush appreciation society).

Drugs, well they are VERY old, not new! Earliest recorded use of cannabis dates back to the 3rd millennium B.C.E, i.e., Bronze Age! It has been widely used in many different societies - read up on it!
It got outlawed only in the early 20th century, mainly due to pressure from the US. :banghead:

See our F1 related articles too!