FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Just as it says...
Interesting read...

How much does the average American need to make per year to feel rich? $150,000.

In a new Gallup poll Thursday, people were asked an open-ended question about how much annual income they would need to earn to consider themselves rich and $150,000 was the median answer.

Gallup noted, “The question of who is ‘rich’ in the United States has been frequently discussed during the past few years as the nation’s policymakers debate income-tax and deficit-reduction policies. Additionally, the Occupy Wall Street protests have focused their attention on the wealthiest 1% of Americans. The poll results suggest Americans would need quite a bit less than what the wealthiest 1% of Americans earn to consider themselves rich.”

Here’s the poll breakdown: About one out of four people, 23 percent, said earning between $100,000 and $150,000 per year would be enough for them to feel rich, while 12 percent said an income between $60,000 and $99,999 was plenty to consider themselves wealthy. Almost one out of five people, 18 percent, said making less than $60,000 would be enough to feel rich.

And for about half of the people surveyed, 47 percent, anything less than $150,000 just wasn’t enough to cut it.

According to the poll, 18 percent of the people surveyed said they needed to make something between $150,001 and $299,999 annually to feel like they were rich, while 14 percent said they considered an yearly income that feel between $300,000 and $999,999 to consider themselves wealthy.

About one out of 10 people, 11 percent, said an annual income of $1 million was the threshold, while 4 percent of people said they would have to make more than $1 million per year to consider themselves rich.

Gallup points out that the median annual household income in the United States according to the Census Bureau is about $50,000.

The poll also found that men have higher standards than women for what makes a person rich: the median annual income for men was $150,000 and $100,000 for women.

People ages 18 to 49 years said $160,000 was their threshold for feeling rich, while those 50 years and older said $100,000 in annual income would be enough.

There was also a notable discrepancy in what college graduates and nongraduates considered the threshold for being rich: people with college degrees said they would need to make $200,000 annually, while those who didn’t graduate from college said $100,000 was enough.

Meanwhile, 26 percent of people said they would need to have a net worth greater than $1 million to consider themselves rich, while 13 percent said having less than $100,000 in savings would be enough to feel wealthy.

The Gallup poll was conducted Nov. 28-Dec.11 among 1,012 adults, and has a margin of error of plus or minus 5 percentage points.

Politico Full Story
For me, 150K per annum would be super super rich!!! :yikes:

And for about half of the people surveyed, 47 percent, anything less than $150,000 just wasn’t enough to cut it.

Greedy bast**ds. :thumbdown:

i dunno, I earn enough to have a little flat in town, run a second hand car, buy and do things I want from time to time and have some savings, if I was to double that I could buy a decent house and car and do more of the things I want but still only consider myself comfortable. Double it again and then you'd be getting close to that sort of range and the point where you can be more extravegant with cars, houses, expensive holidays without having to think about how much something is going to cost which is what I would consider being rich as so I kind of agree with that.

i dunno, I earn enough to have a little flat in town, run a second hand car, buy and do things I want from time to time and have some savings, if I was to double that I could buy a decent house and car and do more of the things I want but still only consider myself comfortable. Double it again and then you'd be getting close to that sort of range and the point where you can be more extravegant with cars, houses, expensive holidays without having to think about how much something is going to cost which is what I would consider being rich as so I kind of agree with that.

Fair point. Although I suppose it depends on one's choice of lifestyle, and how much money one wants to throw around on expensive extravagance.
I completely agree that it's all about how you would define being financially 'rich'. I would define it as being - if you stopped or had to stop working tomorrow, would you be able to be financially independent for your lifetime or would you be in trouble.

To example this: Somebody may well earn 150k per year, but if they have a mortgage on, say, a 400k house that only has 50k paid off, and only have savings of 50k in the bank but no insurance to cover their loss of job, disability etc. then they cannot afford to continue living that lifestyle and so are not 'rich' their wealth is only temporary.

On the other hand, if somebody is earning 150k per year, and has been for some time, living in the same 400k house but has paid off 350k of it and has another 300k in the bank plus income protection insurance on loss of job, disability etc. then they may be able to continue living the same lifestyle and thus could be considered 'rich'.

In other words, it's not all about income, it's about a combination of factors if someone is to have sustained and sustainable wealth and thus be considered 'rich'. Income, lifestyle, savings, protection of wealth (via insurance), other assets and liabilities, dependents etc. all play a part.

For this reason, I would 100% say that if relying on income alone, it's impossible for $150k per year to leave a person 'rich', as it is highly unlikely that were they to stop earning tomorrow that they would be financially comfortable for the rest of their life. I'd likely use a base figure of £500k as being enough to go in the bank, consistently draw money on a weekly basis and still earn interest enough to live on without having to ever worry about running out as even with interest at a normal rate, this would only actually amount to roughly $30k - $35k (including interest) per year over a 20 year period.
Rich is relevant. ZA boils it down well, and the thing that struck me most about the article is that the more money you make the more money you think would be needed to make a "rich" annual income.

I know people with a household income of 250k that struggle, and I know my mother made our hour run like clockwork when I was kid with a household income of around 20k.

That gets me thinking that there's probably a mathematical formula to define rich for a given situation.

Your tune would be different if you were in that 47%.

I'd love to get given $150,000 (though would prefer it in real currency) per year. That way, I'd be able to afford to eat everyday and be honest with my immediate so-called boss.
A few years ago, a local university had a fund raiser for the regional food bank. The invited everyone for a thanksgiving meal, and you bought a ticket for that meal. The twist was that you didn't know what kind of meal you'd get when you got there. It was simply issue at random, some folks ate a full thanksgiving meal with turkey, stuffing, cranberries, the works. Others got a bowl of rice with a vegetable, and most simply got a cup of rice. It was supposed to be a microcosm for the actual food consumption on this planet, and the randomness of where you were born determining the kind of life you'd likely face.
Yeah $150,000 is well off but not really rich. Maybe everything is just more expensive over here LRW.

See our F1 related articles too!