FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Just as it says...
By sagi58
A friend recommended

I ordered it from Amazon; but, I haven't had the chance to open it!
Any comments?
By operaman
Because I read allllllll day long, my eyes are tired by the time I can actually sit down and read something I want to read!!

You're all making me very envious!! :yes:

I know what you mean. When I was teaching, reading the professional stuff and the kid's work took up most of my free time. Since I retired, I've averaged 2-3 novels per week. It is wonderful. :coffee:

Tried that in the summer; but, there's just so much "catching up" to do, it hasn't worked out for me!! :cryfloods: Yet!!

Hang in there, your time will come and no doubt you will make the most of it. :wavey:
By operaman
I just "discovered" this thread. I gotta go back and read it from the start. It is amazing the number of fine books that can be overlooked without a little guidance. :sheep:
By sagi58
Hang in there, your time will come and no doubt you will make the most of it. :wavey:

:wavey:
By operaman
My current (changes all the time) top ten authors:

Robert B Parker
Elmore Leonard
Robert Crais
Harlan Coben
John Grisham
Carl Hiaasen
Janet Evanovich
James Lee Burke

The Bike Snob (Eben Weiss)
His Holiness the Dalai Lama
By racechick
I've never got into the Tom sharpe books! but I haven't really given them a go.
I'm reading a VERY unusual book at the moment, on kindle, cheep, it's called . The - one-hundred-year-old-man-who-climbed-out-of-the-window-and- disappeared. It's got LOADS of reviews on Amazon. I'm loving it.

I've also just bought Madame bovary...in. French :yikes: to try to improve my French.
By zurich_allan
A friend recommended

Any comments?

I've read around a dozen Tom Sharpe books - he is a massive loss to british Satire / Fiction since he died earlier this year. ALL of his books are absolutely hilarious. Mind you - political / upper class farce and satire is by far my favourite Genre. You should read the 'Wilt' series of books written by him, all brilliant! :)
By sagi58
A friend recommended

Any comments?

I've read around a dozen Tom Sharpe books - he is a massive loss to british Satire / Fiction since he died earlier this year. ALL of his books are absolutely hilarious. Mind you - political / upper class farce and satire is by far my favourite Genre. You should read the 'Wilt' series of books written by him, all brilliant! :)

Question: Not being British, will I "get" the humour or the references?
By zurich_allan
A friend recommended

Any comments?

Hmm, that's a difficult question - do you find 'Fawlty Towers' funny? Or 'Yes Prime Minister'? If you've watched them of course...
By sagi58

Hmm, that's a difficult question - do you find 'Fawlty Towers' funny? Or 'Yes Prime Minister'? If you've watched them of course...

Definitely watched and enjoyed both; but, there were many references that went over my head, to be honest! :blush:
Love Some Mothers Do Have 'Em and Are You Being Served!!
By zurich_allan

Definitely watched and enjoyed both; but, there were many references that went over my head, to be honest! :blush:
Love Some Mothers Do Have 'Em and Are You Being Served!!

Well that's all I need to know - there aren't any reference points in the Tom Sharpe books as all of the characters are fictional, but if you like that style of humour (maybe not so much Some Mothers, but definitely Are you being served, then you will LOVE the Tom Sharpe books. :)
By sagi58
Well that's all I need to know - there aren't any reference points in the Tom Sharpe books as all of the characters are fictional, but if you like that style of humour (maybe not so much Some Mothers, but definitely Are you being served, then you will LOVE the Tom Sharpe books. :)

Well, thank you!! I'll get to it, as soon as I have a moment! Actually, that's "next" in line after I read a more biographical book!! :wavey:

I guess Some Mothers is more "slapstick" humour typical of I Love Lucy and Laurel and Hardy?
By operaman
My current (changes all the time) top ten authors:

Robert B Parker
Elmore Leonard
Robert Crais
Harlan Coben
John Grisham
Carl Hiaasen
Janet Evanovich
James Lee Burke

The Bike Snob (Eben Weiss)
His Holiness the Dalai Lama

Gotta add:

Michael Connelly
Ian Rankin
Peter Robinson

and although I am not a huge Harry Potter fan, I really enjoyed the latest from JK Rowling (under an assumed name) and hope it the first of many. :clap:
By zurich_allan

Well, thank you!! I'll get to it, as soon as I have a moment! Actually, that's "next" in line after I read a more biographical book!! :wavey:

I guess Some Mothers is more "slapstick" humour typical of I Love Lucy and Laurel and Hardy?

Just wondered if you'd managed to get round to reading the Tom Sharpe book, and if so what did you think of it? :)

See our F1 related articles too!