FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Just as it says...
By SennaVille
I love reading. I feel really bad for people who don't read. How do you get through your day? Start reading now, here's a guide..

1. Donna Tartt
2. Nelson De Mille
3. Anita Shreve
4. Lee Child
5. Alice Mcdermott
6. Robert B Parker
7. Robert Crais
8. Stephen King (the early years..i.e. The Stand).
9. Dennis Lehane
10. John Grisham

What's your list?
By andrew
What's your list?

Slightly to starboard. Port if the wind changes. :rofl:

Not really a big reader but I've not long finished Ian Fleming's James Bond book (far better than the films). I'm currently working my way through James Herriot's All Creatures Great and Small series.

I read all of the Sturat McBride books. Started as them as they were based in Aberdeen and I wanted to see if anywhere of note was mentioned. They're good easy reads. The last one I read was about 400 odd pages and I polished that off in about 2 days.

Other than that I just read odds and sods. I have no real preference to any particular author.
By LewEngBridewell
I love reading. :cloud9: Especially classics, but I generally love most things.

My current book is Sons and Lovers by D. H. Lawrence. Read the first three chapters, and am already thoroughly enthralled.

Other books I have loved include;

* To Kill A Mockingbird, by Harper Lee
* David Copperfield, by Charles Dickens
* Oliver Twist, by Charles Dickens
* Little Dorrit, by Charles Dickens
* A Christmas Carol, by Charles Dickens
* The Signalman, by Charles Dickens
* Harry Potter, by J. K. Rowling
* Uncle Tom's Cabin, by Harriet Beecher Stowe
* Under the Greenwood Tree, by Thomas Hardy
* Tom's Midnight Garden, by Philippa Pearce
* Various murder mysteries by P. D. James
* A Cry of Innocence, by Kate Mulholland (an account of the prolific trials of the Pendle Witches / Lancashire Witch Trials)

My favourite author is Charles Dickens. He was a great social reformer, which was so crucial in the times he lived in. Victorian England was a land of massive class-separation (which, alas, still exists massively), where poverty reigned supreme. He had a soft heart for children, like myself, and described their trials so truthfully, so beautifully and so tragically. How one can read David Copperfield and not shed a tear is beyond me... :crying:
By racechick
Sons and lovers is one of my very favourites. Ive read it twice and have recently down loaded it onto my kindle. Regarding other favourites, I'll have to have a think. So many!

Tess-Thomas hardy

Yes Sennaville! Anita Shreeve (except the wedding one, didnt like that one but loved all the others

'The island 'and 'the return' Victoria Hislop

Bridges of madison county Robert James waller

Val McDermid novels (all the Tony Hill -wire in the blood ones) Gone mad on those lately

Kite Runner and a thousand splendid suns Khaled Hosseini

The Harry Potter books

Books by Graham Joyce (i know him, his the books are well good)

The Larsson Trilogy

Helter Skelter Vincent Bugliosi (about manson)

Istanbul-memoirs of a city Orhan pamuk

oops already past ten! And there are so many more!
By LewEngBridewell
Sons and lovers is one of my very favourites. Ive read it twice and have recently down loaded it onto my kindle.

What are these kindles like? My initial reaction was that it would just be like staring at a monitor / screen for ages, thus making one tired or dreary. However, I've heard otherwise.

Are they as good as reading from a normal book?
By racechick
Sons and lovers is one of my very favourites. Ive read it twice and have recently down loaded it onto my kindle.

What are these kindles like? My initial reaction was that it would just be like staring at a monitor / screen for ages, thus making one tired or dreary. However, I've heard otherwise.

Ive only just got mine, so its early days-just started first book. Its not like a screen, more like a book page and you can read it outside just the same as a book, sunlight no problem. I got it for travel so I dont have to lug round a case full of books. There is the aesthetic thing of holding a book,fliping through etc but mines in a leather case so it even opens like a book. So far im really liking it. All the classics are free aswell, so I intend to read/reread some of those. And some books are only 99p or less while the paperbacks are still several pounds. I'll probably still read some books as well. Mix and match to suit my needs.
By LewEngBridewell

Ive only just got mine, so its early days-just started first book. Its not like a screen, more like a book page and you can read it outside just the same as a book, sunlight no problem. I got it for travel so I dont have to lug round a case full of books. There is the aesthetic thing of holding a book,fliping through etc but mines in a leather case so it even opens like a book. So far im really liking it. All the classics are free aswell, so I intend to read/reread some of those. And some books are only 99p or less while the paperbacks are still several pounds. I'll probably still read some books as well. Mix and match to suit my needs.

Sounds quite good! Aint got one yet, but you never know......
By andrew
A Kindle is something like £99 pounds isn't it? A typical paper back is £6.99 (or free from the public library) and require no batteries.

Yet again, I'll shun technology and stick with a real book. :D
By racechick
A Kindle is something like £99 pounds isn't it? A typical paper back is £6.99 (or free from the public library) and require no batteries.

Good luck when you go travelling. And its rechargeable.
15 books at 6.99 and you've paid for your kindle
By What's Burning?
I just finished the "Millenium" series by Stieg Larsson. I had "The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo" sitting around for 10 months or so after having borrowed it from a fried fully intending to read it and just never began. I read all three of the books within a week and a half, it was that hard to put down.

Very much looking forward to the film in December.

On the topic of Kindle or eBooks in general, I notice it's heavy on the women's choice front. Informal "beach" research showed me only women using it, where most men that I saw reading had paperbacks. Interesting.

I work in technology so it's hard for me to dismiss eBooks, and whether we like it or not, it is the future. Plus the amazing convenience factor in purchasing a book, can't be discounted and the device itself is usable for other things as well. I was really hoping the industry itself would introduce something that would allow you to send in a UPC symbol for a book you've already purchased and buy it again for an e-reader at a discounted price. Similar to the way I ripped my CD collection into MP3s. It would certainly be a motivator for me at least.
By andrew

Good luck when you go travelling. And its rechargeable.
15 books at 6.99 and you've paid for your kindle

I'm sure I'll find something more exciting than reading if I go travelling. :wink: I can't sit on a beach the whole day reading. Anything more than an hour and I get bored and have to do something interesting.

Besides, if you take you Kindle to the beach it could get wet, get sand in it, get stood on or get nicked. A book will survive all these things and is cheaply replaced shoudl it get nicked.

I'm not sold on these at all.
By Jabberwocky
I read all the Terry Prattchet books, well all the discworld ones anyway.

I have also just got into this kindle thing... I use the Android App, At the moment I am reading Spinward Fringe series by Randolph Lalonde. If your into SyFy then the 1st book in the series is free on Kindle and a good read.
By What's Burning?
I read all the Terry Prattchet books, well all the discworld ones anyway.

I have also just got into this kindle thing... I use the Android App, At the moment I am reading Spinward Fringe series by Randolph Lalonde. If your into SyFy then the 1st book in the series is free on Kindle and a good read.

I've heard Terry Pratchet described as a combination between Lewis Carroll and JRR Tolkien. I've thoroughly enjoyed all of the Discworld books I've read, my favorite to date has been Going Postal.
By Jabberwocky
Yes the same sort of story line is in Making Money (ie Failing system and call in Lugwig (spl) to sort it out)

I love the older nightwatch ones, and of the later ones the Nac Feegle ones.

I remember trying to read Colour of Magic when I was about 10 and just struggled with it.

My 7 year old has just got into the Bromides (spl) trilogy, It has all the Humour of the Discworlds but aimed at the younger audience. (It still makes me laugh though) e.g. They find a big yellow monster that is called Jacob because it has its name written on the side "JCB"
By SennaVille
I've also been flirting with the whole kindle thing, but I love the feeling of a book in my hands and folding a page over to mark my place.

There again, I imagine some future version of myself reading this post and laughing.

Beta or VHS? :D

See our F1 related articles too!