FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Have a question and don't want to sift through Wiki?
Ask away!
By CigarGuy
"prime". As I understand, and please correct/expand, you have to use both tyres in the race,
with no minimum/maximum for either tyre?
By CookinFlat6
There are several compounds made up of a formula only Pirelli will know the details, but all tyres are made with a mix of real rubber and mostly synthetic rubber and other elements - this allows the characteristices of each tyre type to be manipulated and things like deg controlled.

Out of all the range available this year at each race there will be 2 for dry weather

these are classed as Prime (the hard more durable) and option (the faster 'option')

So at some races the prime could be the option at other races, colours show which is which

wet tyres are different - 4 of those
By CigarGuy
So, the prime is always the harder of the two options? Has no other significance than that, correct?
Each team decides how much they want to run the prime and the softer alternative?
Jesus CG might as well ask about who's god is a greater god. This is a long one.

After starting to write something, figured a link is a quicker response. F1 Tire Regulations
By CigarGuy
Jesus CG might as well ask about who's god is a greater god. This is a long one.

After starting to write something, figured a link is a quicker response. F1 Tire Regulations

Thanks, Dub B! ;)
By racechick
So, the prime is always the harder of the two options? Has no other significance than that, correct?
Each team decides how much they want to run the prime and the softer alternative?

I try with technical things CG! but I'm Not an expert at all!
The prime usually lasts longer and the option usually goes faster, which is why they usually qualify on the option. They are obliged to use both tyres during the race, when and how long is up to them. Drivers in the top ten( q3 ) have to start the race on the tyre they did their fastest Q3 time on.
If it rains and the drivers have to use wets or intermediates at some point, that negates the need to use the other dry tyre.

I STILL get the words option and prime mixed up! :hehe: Hope that was a bit of help and hope I've not told you rubbish.
By sagi58

Totally agree with Jabber, I try to remember that it's the prime for that particular race.

Thing is that the teams don't "really" have the choice to decide which tire is used for which race.
Pirelli is the one that makes the decision which two tire compounds are available for each race.

Then, the teams can decide how long to run which tire and in what order.

p.s. to really mess things up, some people spell it "tyre"!! :P

See our F1 related articles too!