FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Have a question and don't want to sift through Wiki?
Ask away!
By LRW
I dont get it.

Im trying to play with a new energy monitoring system at work, and one of the steps has me stumped. it says:

Create a MYSQL database - The easiest way to do this via a GUI is through a program called phpmyadmin. The default login is username root with no password. If you have a shared server you may need to do this through another mysql database setup program before you can access the database through phpmyadmin.

To create a database in phpmyadmin, click on Databases at the top, then enter 'emoncms' in the text input box and click create.

When, in phpmyadmin, the database has been created, a new user must also be created on host "localhost" (not "%") and have a password set. When the user has been created, the user needs to have "all" privileges over the new database that has just been created (scroll down for Database-specific privileges). Those 4 items - the new user name, password, "localhost" and database name are the values that go into the settings.php file.

Note: this user isn't necessarily the same as one of the users who are allowed to register in emoncms once it's running.

Ive downloaded the 'phpmyadmin' zip file. But there seems to be no GUI for it. I dont know how to access it to create the database.

Please someone spray me with you geek juice, and help me understand. Otherwise this laptop is going out the window.
By CookinFlat6
from what I know the phpadmin is a Gui for a server based mysql database, but you gotta have a full web install to access it. You can access from a pc, only through the isps management console

i found that out the hard way recently when I accidently deleted the admin user on a site and couldnt get back on it

but i am a an amatuer so you probably know that part already
By myownalias
phpmyadmin runs as a web service, you need a working webserver such as apache and php installed before you can install phpmyadmin.

The quickest way to set all this up is to install WAMP, http://www.wampserver.com/en/ for Windows, or MAMP, http://www.mamp.info/en/ for Mac OS.

This process installs phpmyadmin for you!
By LRW
So Ive installed WAMPSERVER.

I just dont get how I create the database as requested in that step above

Im sorry. I feel like RC now.

Im following this guide - http://emoncms.org/site/docs/installwindows - Ivbe got to the end of step 3, and im just stumped.
Last edited by LRW on 30 Jul 14, 15:20, edited 1 time in total.
By myownalias
I don't have wamp installed on this machine currently so I can't check, but from memory, type "localhost" into your browser which should bring up the wamp page, from there you should see a link to phpmyadmin...

By racechick
Don't worry LRW, you're nowhere near my level. I thought Gui were those really nice desserts you get at Sainsburys and Tesco!
By Jabberwocky
have you installed WAMP onto the machine you are using or a remote server?
By RyRy
Don't worry LRW, you're nowhere near my level. I thought Gui were those really nice desserts you get at Sainsburys and Tesco!

RC you my dear are so cute.

Also LRW, don't feel too bad it's not a common thing to do so not many know about sql and phpmyadmin

Sent from my Nexus 4
By LRW
have you installed WAMP onto the machine you are using or a remote server?

Im just trying to get it all working on my local machine first - just to test the functionality of it -but I believe for the end client it will be on one of their central servers.

I don't have wamp installed on this machine currently so I can't check, but from memory, type "localhost" into your browser which should bring up the wamp page, from there you should see a link to phpmyadmin...

Ok - i'll give that a go. A lot of applications I use, have a web interface, using the 'localhost' command. As default Vmware occupies that, and I have to stop the Vmware services via task manager, to release it. I'll give it a go and report back.

EDIT: Nope - Once I stop the Vmware services, and restart the wampserver services (via wampserver icon in the system tray), the localhost in my webbrowser just comes up with.......

localhost.jpg

There is a shortcut from the wampserver icon in the sytem tray that tries to take me to 'localhost/phpmyadmin/' - but that also takes me to'web page not available' screen.

Is there a way to ensure 'localhost' or 'localhost/phpmyadmin/' is redirecting to the right place? I always thought you assigned 'localhost' in hosts file (C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc), but I dont know - now Im thinking thats for network addresses only? Im drowning.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
By Stephen
Try other ports like localhost:80/phpmyadmin.

I use IIS for Windows based test environments and it's just a case of putting phpmyadmin in the /inetpub directory (in a sub-directory) and running the install. phpmyadmin will need something to connect to (ie mysql) before you can do anything with it.

There's a great guide here which shows how easy IIS is to configure (it also features mysql):
[youtube]6PRq7CmiWhM[/youtube]

See our F1 related articles too!