FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Have a question and don't want to sift through Wiki?
Ask away!
So my issue is simple...I bought a second hand 5' aquarium and corals/etc online for dirt cheap, problem is this tank housed salt water fishes previously.

My freshwater fishes (1 catfish and 2 sucker fishes) are now in an aquarium at mums place and I'm looking to transfer them over in a few days. Question is, is there anymore I can do than just rub and scrub the thing and dunk the corals in plain water to get rid of any salt. I feel this isn't enough and fear I'd see my sea friends dead in a day or two if the salt content is still too much ingrained in the corals/aquarium.

The guy threw in a big filter as well but I'm just keeping that for another tank one day when I get saltwater fishes...it's a bit of an overkill for a 5 feet aquarium. Plus the fact I'm even less convinced in getting it salt free.

Any solutions/easy method I'm not thinking of? Don't tell me to get a new aquarium/corals please. :hehe:
not a fix expert but for cars a mixture/wash with a slurry of baking soda, some specific type of limestone and or granular gypsum is the way to neutralize salt.
My kids had a fresh water aquarium for quite a few years so I have a little knowledge having "lost" my fair share of loved fishys. There are some benefits of adding some salt to fresh water aquariums. The right level helps control disease for one thing. The thing that always did the most damage to the delicate fish were changes. Changing all the water or changing temp or adding anything that changed the water quality etc.

Oh yeah, one more thing, some of the sweetest looking fish can be quite murderous - best to ask about that before you buy/add any new ones.
@WB, that's sort of what I was looking for but do any of those substances pollute the water anyway?

@Spanks, the dude who sold me this tank told me to be very careful to wash it out properly since any salt can cause damage which is what made me paranoid about this. Prior to his caution I didn't think some salt could actually kill freshwater fishes. Btw...speaking of mean fish. This one night I had a few beers and got home early...and spent it productively:

So now that I have 1 catfish and 2 sucker fishes....no prizes for guessing who finished up the rest in the tank. Not to mention I had 3 silver sharks which were already gobbled up by this time (hence the name psycho...and yes it only has 1 eye). What got me a bit disturbed is the fact that it actually ate its own bro (the wingman) when it started growing much faster after the big meals.
I'd say probably repeat the process and soak overnight then dump the water and start again with a reduced amount of slurry and maybe do it three times? I guess it would depend on what's worse. But if you continue the reduction a few times you'll be left with a pretty small PPM perhaps? I'd think that coral itself would maybe contain some inherent gypsum and lime?
spanky is right about changes in water/environment...

You might want to think about using 1/2 the water in the tank they are living in now...
We've done that, even when cleaning out any tank.
Using the old water to cycle the tank is a good thing, plus with the filter to get the bacteria in it going.

I think Hammers real problem is the Salt... SWMBO used to work in a local Aquarium, I will see if she has any ideas when she comes in.

I would not use any chemicals to clean out the tank.
SWMBO said use really hot water, and if you do use soap to make sure that it is totally rinced away afterwards.
She also said to make sure that any ancilaries you use are totally Marine bug free as well.
SWMBO said use really hot water, and if you do use soap to make sure that it is totally rinced away afterwards.
She also said to make sure that any ancilaries you use are totally Marine bug free as well.

Really hot water, got it. Giving it one more rinse tonight with chlorine and then transfer the fishes on Wednesday.

If I sound a bit down next weekend even though its a GP weekend, you know what might've happened. :hehe:

Thanks for all yous help, and especially to SWMBO. :thumbup:

See our F1 related articles too!