FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Have a question and don't want to sift through Wiki?
Ask away!
By myownalias
upon reading the link that MOA posted, it seem that you only have to say you are using cookies if they are not essential to the running of the website.

Yes, when visiting the site for the first time; a message that says something like:

"This website uses cookies to store any data you may provide, by continuing to use this website you agree to the use of cookies"

I just wanted to point it out so you don't open yourself to litigation!
By racechick
I love cookies. Best sort are raspberry and white chocolate.
By sagi58
upon reading the link that MOA posted, it seem that you only have to say you are using cookies if they are not essential to the running of the website.

Yes, when visiting the site for the first time; a message that says something like:

"This website uses cookies to store any data you may provide, by continuing to use this website you agree to the use of cookies"

Can't we delete those cookies along with our own temporary files, each time
we delete the browsing history or each time we run the disk cleanup?
By myownalias

Yes, but that's not the point; website owners need to disclose that their sites uses cookies; because cookies can store all sorts of personally identifiable information.
By 1Lemon

Yes, but that's not the point; website owners need to disclose that their sites uses cookies; because cookies can store all sorts of personally identifiable information.

Yep it was some stupid knee jerk reaction law.
By Jabberwocky
I have noticed that Facebook and google in particular mine other people's cookies. I went onto a DIY chains website and looked up a light bulb for our bath room. For the next few weeks I was inundated by adverts on both offering me cheap light bulbs

Sent using NCC-1701
By sagi58

I understood that; but, I guess I wasn't clear in my own question. I was wondering if, in deleting cookies
from our own machines, does that also delete those cookies/information on those sites?
By myownalias

I understood that; but, I guess I wasn't clear in my own question. I was wondering if, in deleting cookies
from our own machines, does that also delete those cookies/information on those sites?

Cookies are client side; e.g. on your computer; but that data is probably duplicated in a SQL database in eCommerce websites. Bottom line, once that data is obtained, the website owner can do as they wish with the data, but many websites only use cookies for user experience reasons and should you deleted those cookies, you will need to provide the information again. A good example is this forum, you can store your login information in a cookie (by checking remember me on the login screen) so you don't need to log in each time you visit!
By sagi58
Thanks, to both of you!

Oh, as for...
... A good example is this forum, you can store your login information in a cookie (by checking remember me on the login screen) so you don't need to log in each time you visit!

I don't bother doing that, since when you do a disk cleanup, that information is deleted and you have to enter it again, anyway!

See our F1 related articles too!