FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Have a question and don't want to sift through Wiki?
Ask away!
By Jabberwocky
Right then guys I am going into another venture. Which requires a digital camera (yes I already have a few, but if this is going to be paid out of my business account I thought I would go SLR)

Bit of background then I have taken photos all my life, from the age of 3 - 4 I spent my life trundling around after my dad who was a prolific photographer. I was equipped with his old 35mm SLR. So I have a good grasp on the technicalities of photography. So here is my question,

What is the better brand? Is there areas that some brands are better than others? All of my non digital SLR cameras have been fuji.

Is there an easy way to recognise where in the model line the cameras are? Ie higher the model number the better?

Then that brings me to lenses, are the lens numbers the same, as I would imagine the ccd of a digital camera is not 35mm? Also what to look out for with dSLR lenses that I would not know about, I am thinking things like auto focus and stability.

And enlighten me please

Sent using NCC-1701
By What's Burning?
Canon or Nikon. Don't deviate. They'll have the largest selection of lenses (amature, semi-pro and pro) and you'll be able to make an investment in the right lens and know that a decade from now the lens will still be usable on the new body that you buy in 2024.

Personally, I'd put 60% of your budget into a good all around 18~105 MM range zoom lens and just buy a used body from eBay or Craigslist. The bodies age, the lenses don't.

All of what I said though is secondary, first what do you need the camera for, what types of situations are you going to be shooting in. Will you be transporting the camera to a lot of different places? What resolution are you looking for? Enough to fit a large computer monitor or will you want to be making large prints? It all has relevance.

One last word, don't buy something cheap, you'll regret it.
By spankyham
Judging by the POM entries and wins, this is probably good advice - especially if you're into photographing phallic images
By myownalias
I would definitely agree with WB on Canon or Nikon; at the same price point; each brand is comparable; it simple comes down to preference. Personally I am a Canon man and recently bought a Rebel T3i which offers 18mp, APS-C sensor and shoots 1080p video. Picked mine up with a 18-55mm ISII (optical stabilization) kit lens which is sufficient for most situations. Going from a bridge camera; even this bargain basement lens will impress.

http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/ ... i_lens_kit
By LRW
I'm going to be taking a stab in the dark.

Jabs wants it for Studio work, and wants to be able to print on big canvas.
By Jabberwocky
LRW is indeed incorrect. It will be for taking pictures of houses and rooms (think the sort of stuff estate agents take) on the venture from.

However LRW has raised a good point and a nice idea about studio work. As we currently make Canvas Prints, if we take photos as well.

Minimum resolution I would say is 18mp.

So do lens have the same naming convention?

How do you know if it is optical stabilised or not?

Sent using NCC-1701
By myownalias
Image stabilized lenses have different naming conventions according to brand; for Canon it's "IS", for Nikon it's "VR".

Real estate photography is what I use my T3i for; it's 18-55mm kit lens works pretty well overall; but ideally you'd want a 14mm lens for internal photography; but these can get expensive!

Some examples using the T3i & 18-55mm lens

05-Living-Room.jpg

02-Living-Room.jpg

04 Living Room.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
By What's Burning?
One recommendation Jabs is to go for a lens like MOA suggests, something in the 15~20 mm range for indoors, but if you can some way some how, get a lens that a 1.8 or at least a 2.0 aperture since for photography like what you'll be doing and what MOA just posted you want natural light whenever possible. Flashes indoors look abysmal. That or you can just get a decent kit lens and just use a tripod with a slower shutter speed and not have to spend another 100 or 200 or more on the better lens.
By myownalias
Just to be clear; the shots above were taken at 1/4 second shutter with a tripod at F11 obviously without a flash. Real estate photography with a flash is a big NO, NO, leads to strange lighting and bizarre shadows which look terrible as WB wrote. I use F11 because I prefer to have the whole room in focus; where anything below F5.6 tends to have too much DOF blur in the foreground; at least that's my experience.

Incidentally, the Canon 18-55mm ISII kit lens will go down as far as F4 in the right conditions.
By Jabberwocky
Cool. So not much difference from film to digital then.

Is the stabilised lens worth the effort?

Sent using NCC-1701
By myownalias
Most body/lens kits come with an IS/VR lens as standard; it makes a difference when using slower shutter speeds as it helps with camera shake which can ruin photos, it's not foolproof but it does help significantly.

For internal photography, I would also recommend a remote shutter release for use with the tripod, with the T3i, I use the articulated LCD screen to get right into the corners and use a remote shutter to take the photos.
By What's Burning?
Cool. So not much difference from film to digital then.
Is the stabilised lens worth the effort?

Anything you get that's new will have stabilization, it's the de facto.
By LRW
However LRW has raised a good point and a nice idea about studio work. As we currently make Canvas Prints, if we take photos as well.

I think its a natural progress for your business. You obviously do a good trade in canvas', and if you add competitive studio work to it, not only will that generate income, but it would generate more canvas orders.

Some studios charge astronomical prices for photos / canvas print, so if you come in low to begin with, I think it'd do well.

But what do I know, Im not a business man.
By Jabberwocky
It is a disgrace what some of these studios charge mate, some places charge £45 for an A4, we charge £9 delivered to your door (for main land UK)

See our F1 related articles too!