FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

By LewEngBridewell
What was the last team to be a new entry and do well?

Jordan? Stewart?

Teams like Super Aguri and Toyota did not achieve much.

Super Aguri (from memory) managed to provide the odd challenge to the midfield in one particular season. Toyota at least managed some second-place finishes.
By LiamCatterson
I'd say at a list of defunct teams, yeah Toyota. I wouldn't say Jordan because it's not like they ended well. Hell they were in the back field in their last year if I remember correctly. They had their good years, yeah but so did B.A.R as in 2004 and yet they ended on a low. Toyota however, ended on a high
By ckilger12
WIth the return of Scott Speed and......

Very much doubt that. It's more likely to be either Rossi or Daly in one car, with a more experienced driver in the other. I hope that Haas get in and can pull it off, but I have concerns over the use of Dallara for this project. :/

I guess the one good thing is that Haas actually has the money, unlike the failed USF1 team...

When they first announced this I thought of Rossi....maybe Di Resta return to F1.....Who knows there are a few experienced reserve drivers in the F1 garage as well.
I saw a few sources saying Dallara Chassis and Ferrari Engines...but eventually making their own chassis
Wonder is Gene is related to Carl Haas???
By spankyham
What was the last team to be a new entry and do well?

Jordan? Stewart?

Teams like Super Aguri and Toyota did not achieve much.

Sent using NCC-1701

Brawn :hehe:

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk
By Jabberwocky
Brawn was not really a new team just Honda renamed.

My issue is that Toyota threw a lot of money at the sport and did not do well.

I suppose it comes down to the sport as a business model is not viable.

Sent using NCC-1701
By 1Lemon
Di Resta is a good shout actually, he's experienced and in terms of American marketability be us Dario Frankiti's (spelling?) Cousin too.
By What's Burning?
I think they can do better than DiResta.

It is if you're winning and can leverage the global visibility into a solid substitute for direct product advertisement and image.
By spankyham

It is if you're winning and can leverage the global visibility into a solid substitute for direct product advertisement and image.

If true doesn't that mean that, as soon as the winning team stops winning the impetus for them (as for all the other teams) is to leave?
By What's Burning?

If true doesn't that mean that, as soon as the winning team stops winning the impetus for them (as for all the other teams) is to leave?

Sorry I should have segregated the two. If you're winning you're getting paid considerably more than if you're not. That's one aspect. Since we know it takes about 200 million a year to run at the pointy end of the grid, that's money that the winning teams make so it's a net. Factor the sponsorship and you've got a profit.

The other aspect is something that only certain teams can leverage, Like McLaren, and Ferrari. Mercedes to a much lesser degree. It takes millions of advertising and marketing dollars to promote their products. I've yet to see a McLaren or Ferrari commercial on TV though. So racing is the advertising. Whether you spend 50 million in advertising or an F1 team, it's still doing the same thing, promoting your product.

The BIG thing that I believe Haas will be able to do, is leverage the American aspect. Not only are there NASCAR sponsorship connections already in place, but a large portion of F1 sponsors are stateside companies, I'm sure they'll have no problem swinging one or five of them their way.
By 1Lemon
Haas is also the F1 team as an advertisement for his tools company Haas Automation, so he does actually have a similar reason to Merc or Red Bull to being in the game. That said being the only American team is going to make him attractive to 'Merican sponsors.

I remember reading that he wanted to use the team to turn the tools company into a 'Luxury Brand', and now that he is expanding into Europe he wants to double his EU market by the F1 team's adverts.
By Jabberwocky
To be fair I had heard of the Haas team, but I just thought it was like Jordan, just the owners name not that he did anything else.
By What's Burning?
Apparently all it takes to be successful in racing is to have a Haas name. Stewart Haas and Newman Haas both did pretty well yet have nothing to do with one another.
By Jabberwocky
Hugh G Haas did not do well. He did not fit in the car half the time.
By sagi58
Hugh G Haas did not do well. He did not fit in the car half the time.

Is he related to Hulkenberg? :P

See our F1 related articles too!