FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

By What's Burning?
Bernie's wallet is not going to like that. So Bernie is not going to let that happen.
By LRW
BREAKING NEWS (kinda) from BBC live feed....

BREAKING NEWS
Posted at 12:52
The Marussia F1 team have folded, and will not compete at the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix.
By What's Burning?
I blame Alexander Rossi... that guy comes to your team as a reserve driver, you're done for.
By Hammer278
Damn! They scored points this year too! What a waste.
By myownalias
Hopefully Marussia will be reborn next year as Manor F1 Team, which was the name it officially entered under when they joined the grid in 2010 but that changed rapidly to Virgin Racing, so I don't believe they ever competed as Manor F1. It'll be a shame to lose a team permanently, I remember a time when there were more teams/drivers than actual grid spots... I'm showing my age there!!!
By Murphy
Was I the only one who was surprised by Marussia 'ceasing to trade'?
For all the publicity Caterham had regarding finances, I would've happily bet that they would be the first to go.
A season which showed huge promise has turned incredibly tragic for the team and their 200 employees...I wish them all the best for the future.
By myownalias
Was I the only one who was surprised by Marussia 'ceasing to trade'?

To be honest I am surprised they lasted this long, just to get to the grid this season is more challenging than ever because of the new engine formula. The writing was on the wall on day one in 2010 when it became very apparent that the promised budget cap would never materialize. Sir Frank WIlliams went on record as saying that when they won their last championship in 1997, the whole season cost less than £40m, a tiny budget compared to today's more frugal (sarcasm) F1.
By Murphy
Sir Frank WIlliams went on record as saying that when they won their last championship in 1997, the whole season cost less than £40m

That's incredible. No doubt Ferrari and McLaren would've had bigger budgets, but still, two championships for £40 million.
The new teams were pretty much hung out to dry when this budget cap wasn't implemented. I certainly hope Haas and/or Forza Rossa have bigger backing.

See our F1 related articles too!