FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

By racechick
I think it's confirmed. Williams to get Merc engines.
By Hammer278
Yeah it is.
By What's Burning?
So Mercedes have Sahara Force India and now Williams as customers. For 2014 they'll also have McLaren of course. Going forward with the introduction of Honda engines, I wonder what the split will be.

I think Ferrari will keep Sauber, but they've lost Toro Rosso. Will they try and gain another customer?

Renault will have RedBull and Lotus, although I think the Lotus name is not long in F1 again since they're not paying. Lastly Caterham.

So the last team is Marussia, which at this point is the only Cosworth car. To stay on the grid next year they have to go with one of the existing supplies as Honda won't be there. Perhaps they'll also go the Ferrari route?
By 1Lemon
I think lotus is not too marketable to remove the name. Either way who's Torro Rosso going with?
By What's Burning?
Toro Rosso I thought confirmed they're going with Renault.

About the Lotus name though, I know it's marketable but it's bringing in NO sponsorship money whatsoever, read a Lotus sponsors financial report linked to in another thread and they're really in dire straits, compounded by the fact that their namesake doesn't pay a dime and their biggest sponsor Geni Capital is their holding company. That can't last for long.

Unless there's gallizions of dollars in the dandruff business, something's going to give over there soon.
By racechick
I don't really know why Renault want to pretend to be Lotus, especially if its cost them loads of money. Stupid.
By 1Lemon
I'm aware of their situation and how their missing a major sponsor. Maybe they should just become Enstone and be done with it. NeXt sponsor could be like Genisis-endstone
By 1Lemon
Will Lotus lose money if they change names again?

No, they are not contracted with Lotus or actually affiliated with them in any way anymore. If anything they would directly gain money if they found a new main sponsor and just called themselves whatever that sponsor is. Or become Team Endstone, and become Endstone-Lotus for example.

However Lotus F1 is a very marketable, respected and fan favourite name, so they do get a benefit from that. Tis' confusing. :confused:
By Ichabod
Will Lotus lose money if they change names again?

I believe that Lotus GP would loose this years prize money if they changed names without he consent of all the other teams ?
By What's Burning?
I've learned to think of it in a way that's not confusing. They own the name Lotus when it comes to an F1 car. So perhaps someone has sat down and done the math that they make enough in "Lotus" F1 team related swag sales that it brings in more than they'd get from sponsorship money that would come in from a different partner and a new name.

Like you say, It's most likely they'll do just that, give a sponsor's name top billing dash Lotus and get the benefit of both.
By Hammer278
They fought Fernandez for this name for over a year....for a reason. If they change it now proving it isn't worth that much to them, it just shows how trivial business can be.

See our F1 related articles too!