FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

By scotty
Bad upright = wheel off? Must have vibrated it loose, cause that's a strange one.

I find myself struggling to place Ferrari (within the top 5) in my own little mental picture of how i expect things to go come Melbourne. Some days they seem very good, others not so much. Gotta admit my gut says that they've got a better quali car this time round, but it'll nail tyres in the race and they'll suffer from that, almost in a less extreme version of Mercedes as it were.
By spankyham
Good pictures in this Gary Anderson article :)

By spankyham
Bad upright = wheel off? Must have vibrated it loose, cause that's a strange one.

I find myself struggling to place Ferrari (within the top 5) in my own little mental picture of how i expect things to go come Melbourne. Some days they seem very good, others not so much. Gotta admit my gut says that they've got a better quali car this time round, but it'll nail tyres in the race and they'll suffer from that, almost in a less extreme version of Mercedes as it were.

One of Felipe's long runs ..... I think the F138 will be fine with tire management

17 9.12.826
18 1.33.358
19 1.31.298
20 1.30.017
21 1.29.835
22 1.28.785
23 1.28.234
24 1.28.732
25 1.29.599
26 1.28.889
27 1.28.900
28 1.28.434
29 1.28.572
30 1.27.919
31 1.28.762
32 1.28.753
33 1.30.170
By spankyham
Couple of small but positive points from yesterday and this morning.

1) Tire deg, almost opposite to early fears, it seams the F138 tire management could be a key advantage to the team/car again this year. Yesterday, when drivers tried super-softs, only Felipe was able to improve his best time - all other cars destroyed the tire before it even completed a flying lap. Also, this exchange on Sky:-
Question for Johnny: What do you think to the Ferrari this winter test?
The one thing I have noticed, which I think is a very positive thing, has been that when I looked at the tyres of Felipe Massa after a long-ish run yesterday, they looked to be in very good condition and this could be a sign of a well-balanced Ferrari that could reap dividends in this year's Championship. But let's see...I'm sitting on the fence for now.

2) At lunch today, Nico leads with a 1:20.130 from Nando with a 1:20.494, but according to Sky and @Truzonef1 " ...The W04 used Rosberg to DRS in all lines and Alonso F138 only the back straight # F1... " This was also reported for Lewis's time yesterday. I'd guess they are in serious testing mode of their DDRS.
By spankyham
What I like about this shot is that it shows how much exposed floor are the F138 actually has. Whilst a lot is made of the Sauber sidepods, the F138 actually has rather small sidepods IMO its just that they are elevated which gives the illusion they are somewhat bigger than they actually are. Either way, all that floor area is rather stunning to me.

By spankyham
Also noticed that the Monkey seat is gone on the F138 - another good sign IMO
By LewEngBridewell
The Ferrari looks smart in that picture.
By What's Burning?
I didn't notice the UPS logo in previous testing, did that just appear this weekend? I mean UPS is a big score and I'm so happy to see more and more American sponsors, but man that brown logo looks ugly on the F138.
By spankyham
I didn't notice the UPS logo in previous testing, did that just appear this weekend? I mean UPS is a big score and I'm so happy to see more and more American sponsors, but man that brown logo looks ugly on the F138.

Been there since mid Feb. Its a healthy sponsorship and goes beyond F1. >>details here<<.

I'll think it looks good if it wins :)
By What's Burning?

Been there since mid Feb. Its a healthy sponsorship and goes beyond F1. >>details here<<.

Well, if it doesn't win, then at least you have a reason to hate it. :hehe: UPS, man oh man that's a big sponsorship score. Good on the Scuderia.
By vaptin
At least the team seems far more stable, and more of a serious team now, ironing out the mistakes and the like.
By Ferrari man 009

Sky said on their live testing today that the Ferrari is very good on the tyres.

Interesting also to note the predicted fuel corrected lap times made by David Croft and Mark Hughes (Autosport editor I think) of:

Red Bull - 1:19.3
Ferrari, McLaren, Mercedes and Lotus - 1:19.5

Now, I dont know what these special Ferrari upgrades are for Melbourne, but if they can find 0.2s AND the fuel corrected predictions are correct it could be very close in Melbourne.

Also, another thing that was mentioned in the Sky testing coverage today was that Ferrari and McLaren could have a higher development potential with the Pullrod suspension, which while they are slower than Red Bull at the moment, could give them a chance to out-develop Red Bull over the summer!
By AK86
Things are looking better for Ferrari this season but guess we will all find out where teams are at when it comes to the real racing but ever the optimist hopefully Alonso can get Ferrari challenging again and sustain it, i would say Massa as well but don't have much faith in the lad even though he is a great lad, hopefully after this year maybe Ferrari will look at getting a new up and coming young driver into the team to learn off Alonso.
By darwin dali

Well, if it doesn't win, then at least you have a reason to hate it. :hehe: UPS, man oh man that's a big sponsorship score. Good on the Scuderia.

And they're so schmexy:

See our F1 related articles too!